Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

omnipower coilovers vs. H&R Cup Kit: opinions, experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default omnipower coilovers vs. H&R Cup Kit: opinions, experience?

I'm ready to buy new suspension for my 99 sedan. I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to the OmniPower coilovers and the H&R Cup Kit. Both are in my price range (600-700).

I intend to eventually do some auto-x and road-courses, but I also have two hours of commuting every day to deal with, so comfort is a factor.

The only other aftermarket suspension setup I have any experience with was a set of Koni Yellows and Progress springs on my old 93 hatch. I think Koni shocks are the best for the money and I like the adjustability, which is why I like the Cup Kits. (They are koni yellows, right?)

Now the omnipowers... I think I'm mostly into the height adjustability. From what i've read, most people seem to think they're pretty good setups (I'd probably get the street 10/6k). And the company seems pretty cool, but there's not much of a history.

so... any experiences, opinions, other options?

TIA
Old 09-17-2004, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: omnipower coilovers vs. H&R Cup Kit: opinions, experience? (Barabus)

maybe the koni coilover system? a little steep for me (900 bucks) and I'm not sure who makes the springs...
Old 09-17-2004, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: omnipower coilovers vs. H&R Cup Kit: opinions, experience? (Barabus)

omnipower is good had them on my car for awhile..
i would also recommen ground control too
Old 09-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: omnipower coilovers vs. H&R Cup Kit: opinions, experience? (EJellyfish1)

I'm leaning very heavily towards the cup kit. If I plan on doing any serious auto-x or racing, I think this is the way to go.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Re: omnipower coilovers vs. H&R Cup Kit: opinions, experience? (EJellyfish1)

are these kits somthing a beginner can install?
Old 09-17-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Re: omnipower coilovers vs. H&R Cup Kit: opinions, experience? (Mrwool983455)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mrwool983455 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are these kits somthing a beginner can install? </TD></TR></TABLE>

They're pretty straightforward.

Barabus, I'd go for the H&Rs simply because they're Konis. I hear great things about Omniman's coilovers but I'd take shock adjustability over height anyday.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: omnipower coilovers vs. H&R Cup Kit: opinions, experience? (nw.dave)

yeah I agree. Just ordered my Cup Kits from TireRack. I'll have them next week.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had an H&R cup kit on my 02 GTi. I liked it alot..but it just wassnt stiff enough for me, the car handled great but just a lil soft. I now have omni streets on my EK hatch and they are nice, havent had the chance to really feel out the coilovers but they are a nice product.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: omnipower coilovers vs. H&R Cup Kit: opinions, experience? (NR_hatch)

When I was looking into suspensions (went with barely used GCs/yellows btw), it was really irritating that H&R wouldn't give out the spring rates they use.

I previously had a set of Koni full coils, which were disappointingly soft; needless to say I didn't want that to happen again. That's the main reason I didn't go with the Cup Kit.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:41 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: omnipower coilovers vs. H&R Cup Kit: opinions, experience? (nw.dave)

i had a set of the omnipower coilover sport setup for my 92 hatch. Spring rates were 12K front 10K rear. I loved them, it handled great and there was absolutely no body roll. pretty bumpy though. i just sold them because i want to save up for power. They are a very easy install, just don't forget to preload, and that's simple too.

customer service is great. Bob's the man, i've heard Steve, the main guy is great.

Also, i believed they changed the spring rates on their street setup to 10k front 8k rear.

Old 09-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you could theoretically have the springs tested somewhere, right? Not that I would have any idea how to go about this...

might be cool to do, just so we know what the rates are...
Old 09-17-2004, 11:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Barabus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you could theoretically have the springs tested somewhere, right? Not that I would have any idea how to go about this... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I'm sure it's not hard to find out. You should be the guinea pig
Old 09-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I could buy one of these and test them myself: http://www.bakerprecision.com/longacr11.htm

I'm going to find a shop around me that has something like this.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or I could just stand on them and measure the deflection...
Old 09-21-2004, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Kit just came in! I'm trying to secure a camera to do a how-to during my install this weekend.

one thing of note: there's a couple pages of warnings concerning the kit and bumpstops and soforth that refer to the springs as H&R Race Springs. I seem to remember some confusion as to which springs were in the kit. Maybe that settles it.

Still not sure if I'll be able to measure the rates or not.