Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

omg please help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default omg please help ASAP

Ok guys im sitting here at my girlfriends house and my damn car wont start...it does this only every once in a while...ill go out to start it and it will fire up run for a second then die...i dont know what the **** is up...u can try to crank it but then acts like its getting no gas or its flooded...got plenty of spark but no gas it seams...it only does this RARELY...please help ASAP
Old 08-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: omg please help ASAP (93HondaSi)

Have you read the rules yet?

Please make your titles topic-specific so we can better help you, thanks.

Anyways here you go:

Summers in full swing, and I see more and more "My car spins over, but won't start" topics here, and I expect that since summertime brings out the worst in electrical components for our Civics.
So you get in your car, try and start it, but it only spins over?

First of all these steps only apply for a car that has enough battery juice to power up the starter enough to spin the car over normally. If you've tried starting the car so many times that your battery is weak, find a jump box or cables and go from there.

The most common problem is the main fuel pump relay, and you do not have to do much to diagnose it.

1. Turn the key into the "on" position and watch for the check engine light to go out just as the third key chime beep beeps. As the light goes out you should hear a faint "clink" noise coming from under the dash on the driver's side (passenger side for EK Civics), near the hood release lever. If you hear no "clink" then you need a main relay. They cost maybe $60.00 new at Honda, and they are a snap to replace. If you're a cheap bastard and cannot afford a new one, it can be repaired with a soldering iron and some knowledge, but i'd just buy a new one.

So you hear the "clink" noise, but still no starting, eh?

Well now it's time to dig a bit deeper. you need to figure out if you're not getting spark or fuel. 99% of spinning over, but not starting problems are from either no fuel or fire. the other 1% is no compression, and that just isn't common.

1. Checking for spark.

Grab up a long screwdriver and pull one plug wire out of the cylinder. Stick the tip of the screw driver into the plug wire end far enough to make contact with the metal tab in the wire to the tip of the screw driver. Tilt the handle of the screwdriver so that you hold the shaft of the screwdriver near any metal surface - i use one of the valvecover hold down nuts. Have a friend (if you have any) spin the car over. If you see sparks between the shaft of the screwdriver and the other metal surface, then you have spark. If not, then you have a problem getting spark then.

2. If you have no spark then there are a few different parts that can cause this. *Usually* it is the ignition coil, loctaed inside your distributor. It is a little box with a spring sticking out of it with a goldish case around it, and it's held in with two phillps screws once you get your car and rotor out of the way. I don't know of any real way of checking one out of the car other than replacing it with a known good one. A lot of times the coil will have burn/flash marks on it if it's bad, or going bad. a new coil from honda is about $90.00.

3. The other common (but not as common as the coil) is the ignitor module. It is a flat plastic-looking piece inisde the distributor with a few tabs with wires hooked up to it. I believe it's also held in with a few screws. again I know of no visual cues that an ignitor is bad, so if you can get another, try it out. a new ignitor from Honda is also about $90.00.

4. Another blanket way to fix the no spark would be a good new distributor from http://www.distributorking.com. this way you get a new base with sensors, coil, ignitor, cap, rotor, etc. all for a little more than the cost of an ignitor or coil.

The last item that can cause spinning over, but not starting is the ignition switch pigtail assembly. When these go bad they typically allow the car to crank for a second, but then it shuts right back off. I diagnose these by simply cranking the car and backing off the key just enough to disengage the starter, but still be in the full "crank" position. If you let go of the key and it springs back into the normal position and the engine dies, you need a new ignition switch pigtail/electrical portion. do not confuse this with the entire ignition assembly with lock cylinder - it's just the electrical harness. These are pretty cheap, but a PITA to install.

Hope this helps some of you guys.

Now what if the main relay works, and you have spark, but still no starting?

Time to check for fuel, and it's easy.

Grab a 12mm wrench and loosen the banjo nut on top of your fuel filter, and have someone turn the key into the "on" position - he may not even have to try and spin the car over. If you get no fuel spray, then you are not getting fuel, and if the main relay is in fact working, it's time for a fuel pump.

The fuel pump is located in an access panel under your rear seat cushion. I personally would try and find a used Integra fuel pump or even a new one if you can afford the pricetag - aftermarket ones suck ***. I say Integra because it's an upgrade, especially if you can get a GS-R one.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: omg please help ASAP (B18C5-EH2)

There are several other problems that can cause a loss of fuel.

However, getting a battery and some jumper cables or a jumpbox is an excellent idea because after trying to get it to start over and over you're going to lose juice for your fuel pump and ignition.

You might just have low fuel pressure. If your low on gas, fill it with a gas can and check your fuel lines for air.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: omg please help ASAP (JoKarma)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoKarma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are several other problems that can cause a loss of fuel.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that in response to my reply above?

If so, name some other causes for not getting fuel that are random/intermittant please, thanks.

I can think of some, but nothing common enough to check. Very rarely will you get a random failure of a fuel pressure regulator or anything mechanically oriented.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 5:02 PM 8/8/2005
Old 08-08-2005, 01:27 PM

wow I think thats the longest reply I've ever seen a mod do with such a newb question. It's a pity really that such a helpful reply is under a thread that will never be searched... I mean who actually will look up "omg please help ASAP"?

Old 08-08-2005, 01:29 PM

I was merely commenting on "The last item".
Old 08-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: omg please help ASAP (james p.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by james p. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow I think thats the longest reply I've ever seen a mod do with such a newb question. It's a pity really that such a helpful reply is under a thread that will never be searched... I mean who actually will look up "omg please help ASAP"?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i second that... I am going to copy this into a text file and save it for future reference. Thanks B18C5-EH2
Old 08-08-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, everything I was about to say and then some.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by james p. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow I think thats the longest reply I've ever seen a mod do with such a newb question. It's a pity really that such a helpful reply is under a thread that will never be searched... I mean who actually will look up "omg please help ASAP"?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Psssst!!! I'm not a moderator any longer!

Now that I'm not I can actually reply to topics without 50 IMs from people with personal beefs with other members and their topics!

Old 08-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Now that I'm not I can actually reply to topics without 50 IMs from people with personal beefs with other members and their topics!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never thought that I'd hear of a Mod that's happy about that.

The fuel pump seems to be causing problem
Old 08-08-2005, 02:08 PM

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually what he wrote was all in his FAQ:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1320931
Titled: FAQ: "My Car Spins Over, but Won't Start!" - Answers HERE!
Old 08-08-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: omg please help ASAP (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually what he wrote was all in his FAQ:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1320931
Titled: FAQ: "My Car Spins Over, but Won't Start!" - Answers HERE!</TD></TR></TABLE>

my bad!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I totally understand Welcome back to being a commoner