Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Old Strut test

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Strut test

Hi
I have a pair of old struts I'd like to use.
How do I know if the struts are in good condition?
The metal rods push in and out very sturdy and slow. There are no bouncy free play at all.

I did compared them out with the other pairs of old struts and the first ones move in and out much more sturdier and slower BUT both struts exhibited some sort of oil leak. But I can't be sure if the leak stains are from the road or the struts. Also, I can hear liquid churching when I shake them up.

Is there a place where they can do a calibrated test on the struts?

PS: how often do you have to change the struts?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Old Strut test

A Nascar or Formula 1 level garage probably builds and tests their own struts/shocks, but the expense would be greater than just buying new struts I think. I would not use old struts - it's too much of a pain to remove the springs to not put a new strut back in. I would say struts probably work to OE specs for 75,000 miles or so, maybe more or less. Most of us are probably riding on worn out struts - I know they're on my "to do" list.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If they're leaking at all don't reuse them.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Trial User

Thank you all for your opinion.

By the way, do the struts get stiffer as time goes by?
My understanding is that they should go softer but my second pair were much softer than the pair of the original stock.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes they would get softer... in a Cadillac when they become worn tend to have a floating bouncing effect.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, in most states that do safety inspections, a leaking strut/shock FAILS the inspection. Do not re-use them..
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Trial User

Thanks all.
Actually here's what really happened.
I had my original struts going well for six years. Then I felt the ride getting stiffer as years go by. The rides were too rough to a point the whole vehicle rattled as little as minor bumps and rocks while the cornering was excellent.
However on the retrospect, the rough rides could've been attributed to the worn out bushings or tires.

Then I decided to replace them with the new.
When I got the new struts (OEM Honda), I found out that the packagings were all busted up, and water stains were all over the struts as if they have been left out on the torrential rain. I figured they were just a mishap by UPS and proceeded to replace the olds with the new ones but kept the original pairs.

Five years later, I had a chance to replace the springs and found out that the original struts were much stiffer and controlled than the newer (second) pair.
In fact, the newer pair is on my vehicle right now and the ride is some what bouncy but not Buick bouncy. They can obsorb bumps really well but cornings are very poor.

So naturally I'm suspecting that the dealer had sent me the lemons and I've been riding on them thinking that the softer rides are always better.

The car is already old and I don't know if spending on a pair of newer struts would be a good idea. I've heard someone saying that the OEM Honda struts will last the lifetime of the vehicle.