Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

old school of synthetic??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old school or synthetic??

i just wanted to hear other people's input on if they use full synthetic or old school oil...i have an ek with an lsvtec in it and run Royal Purple synthetic in it and it makes the car run alot smoother and cooler and does seem to give a lil more power.

i heard from someone that "synthetic oil eats up your seals in your engine". first of all that doesnt make sense, by "seals" i think he means head gasket? valve cover gasket? anyway why would every major oil manufacturer make something that is corrosive? does not make sense to me but if anyone has heard this or has evidence to prove/disprove it let me know haha.

i think this guy is an idiot and should check facts before making an assumption.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: old school or synthetic?? (stevew84)

i have been using full syn oil on all my cars for over 12 years and never had a problem with it. and i recently just start use royal purple oil and the result is really amazing.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: old school or synthetic?? (stevew84)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevew84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just wanted to hear other people's input on if they use full synthetic or old school oil...i have an ek with an lsvtec in it and run Royal Purple synthetic in it and it makes the car run alot smoother and cooler and does seem to give a lil more power.

i heard from someone that "synthetic oil eats up your seals in your engine". first of all that doesnt make sense, by "seals" i think he means head gasket? valve cover gasket? anyway why would every major oil manufacturer make something that is corrosive? does not make sense to me but if anyone has heard this or has evidence to prove/disprove it let me know haha.

i think this guy is an idiot and should check facts before making an assumption.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's wrong.

Synthetic may slide past seals easier since the molecules are smaller and it maintains it's viscosity through a higher heat range.

It's not any more corrosive than regular *** oil. It has more detergents, it keeps better viscosity, reacts to heat better, breaks down slower, and lubricates better. Those are the advantages.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: old school or synthetic?? (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He's wrong.

Synthetic may slide past seals easier since the molecules are smaller and it maintains it's viscosity through a higher heat range.

It's not any more corrosive than regular *** oil. It has more detergents, it keeps better viscosity, reacts to heat better, breaks down slower, and lubricates better. Those are the advantages.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know whether this whole leaking thing is really that big of a problem these days, as I have not had problems with oil leaks on my cars with synth.

Anyway, another reason why synthetic is better is because it needs fewer additives. Because conventional oils don't maintain viscosity as well, break down faster, etc, they require more additives to keep this from happening (ie viscosity modifiers, oxidation inhibitors, etc). So less of the oil is actually, well, oil. On the other hand, more of synthetic oil is actually base lubricant, which is another reason why it lubricates better.

I should also note that back in the day, I used conventional oils in my vehicles. And it just seemed like the motors didn't last beyond a certain points. But these days, all I use is synthetic. And I have yet to have a motor blow up - even after beating on it for YEARS.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which synthetic do you guys recommend?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (themunchkinman)

I think most ppl use Royal Purple or Mobil1 Next oil change, Im using Royal Purple
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Re: (themunchkinman)

i love my amsoil! well worth the $7 a quart off the shelf, luckily i get it for 5 a quart. 4500 on one oil change right now, and its still clean and clear. one thing i have found out though, that on a "older" motor, if you have any kind of cracks or any hole in any of your gaskets, the syn. will find it. i run it on my old ford, and im always finding little leaks. no spots under the motor, just a little oil on the side of the block. it doesnt eat up seals, just if your seals are bad to start with, it will leak through them.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re:

Mobil1 synthetic is the best bang for your buck. 5 quart Walmart special =~ $22-25
Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Frickr)

everytime i change the oil in any car it "feels smoother".

i dont change the oils in my daily driver prelude and hatch that often. i usually go 7k miles or more depending on how lazy i am and i use the best bang for buck oil i can i find at $25/case, unocal 76 synthetic blend. because after so many years i felt like was wasting money on synthetics changing it early and often at 3k miles.

on my 94 b16a civic ex i usually go 4 hpdes and 5k miles before i change out the oil but i use castrol syntec 0w-30 and an S2k oil filter.