Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The old people stereotype is true...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The old people stereotype is true...

So i went to work this morning (i work at a mall) and i trying to find a space closest to the shade..unfortunately there was none...so i put my car in reverse (i just got my car last month!!) so im backing out slowly and for awhile i think im doing ok everything looked clear...then suddenly some dumbass 60 year old looking lady comes out and hella smashes the back right corner of my car...Then she has the nerve to yell at me and tell me that "you young kids need to watch where youre going" not wanting to yell at her back cause shes old i just stood there and took it, she actually hit me twice cause there are two sets of dents on my passenger side, so she hit me once then i guess she was still on the gas and hit me again...which means she was going pretty fast, but thats not the worst thing..i know for a fact its not my fault, but the insurance guy said it might come down to 50/50....****** sux....ill post pics when i get em.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The old people stereotype is true... (Son99ek)

thats why when i go in reverse i go step at a time so i can stop when i please.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lady is at fault, coz i bet she didnt even look if the coast was clear. Good luck anyhow.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:35 PM

thats terible man........i hate old people drivers as well..........i'm all for people haveing to take a driving test every year once they turn 65
Old 04-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what did the popo's say? or did they not even come?
Old 04-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The old people stereotype is true... (tig ole bistro)

i think its your responsibility to check behind you when you're backing up.. it might be ur fault man..
Old 04-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: The old people stereotype is true... (hadehatch)

She definately had the right of way. You lose in court and it was probably your fault anyhow. Even if she was going 120mph in the parking lot, you're the one backing into her avenue of traffic and it is your responsibility to make sure the coast is clear. Nobody "comes out of nowhere" when you're backing up. Haven't you seen ******?

Old 04-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default `

yup, in CA anyone driving thru the lanes in a parking has the right of way. if the person who backs up has to be sure that the way is clear. if the person backing up gets hit, then person who is backing up is at fault. the law sucks i know.....
Old 04-25-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: The old people stereotype is true... (tig ole bistro)

it was at a mall so its private property and they didnt come
Old 04-25-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: The old people stereotype is true... (hadehatch)

i was checkin behind me all the way...she hella popped out hella quick...fast enough to hit me twice
Old 04-25-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Re: The old people stereotype is true... (Archidictus)

no, she was the one in the parking spot first, then she back out while i was going...she didnt ease out or anything
Old 04-25-2004, 05:35 PM
rxse7n

So she was in a parking spot backing up? That is a different story. You should have had the police come. Just because it is private property, I bet they could still do a report. If she was going that fast, she should still be able to have been written for careless even if it is private property. Depending on how bad the damage is, I would contact an attorney. Do you have any witnesses? I assume the parking lot must have been pretty busy for you to not see each other. If you have no witnesses and no police report, you are screwed. You are lucky they are not holding you liable for 100% of the damages just because she is an old lady, and they will believe her first.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Son99ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, she was the one in the parking spot first, then she back out while i was going...she didnt ease out or anything</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you were going in reverse in a mall parking lot and an old lady, also going in reverse, pulled out of a parking spot and into your car? Unless she started the car in reverse with her foot on the throttle, you should've had enough warning to be able to avoid her. Then again, mall parking lots have two or more avenues for a reason: so you turn around instead of backing up.

If this second scenario is true, it would be her fault for ignoring your right of way, but I'm not sure you retain "right of way" privelages when moving in reverse. You may be boned.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Re: The old people stereotype is true... (Archidictus)

well i spoke to my insurance guy, he said from the looks of it the lady is at fault because i did have the right of way, and she back out w/o looking, and she backed out really quick to where she hit my car twice, she hit it and bounced off, and did was gong fast enough to where it came right back at me, so the bakc right corner is smashed in and the right behind the passenger door is smashed in...but he said that the other insurance company might want to go for a 50/50 cause thats the only thing they can do...he said for sure im not reliable for 100%
Old 04-25-2004, 09:31 PM
rxse7n

That is good I guess, so it is just your word against hers. Sucks, but nothin you can do.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (rxse7n)

Ahh let it be. It's going to turn out to be 50/50, you can't do anything about it. Stop saying "hella".. Kali people and that damn word.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:53 PM

Default Re: (ChinChilleRKilleRs)

Hella( )sucks man.

A friend of mine a few years back just bought a brand new Dodge Ram (back when that body style was new) and was driving through our downtown area when this old guy runs a red light and hits my bud in the front fender.

Well the old guy panics and instead of hitting the brake he stomps the go pedal. Imagine the first impact driving the old guys Lincoln back a couple feet then slamming back into the truck...three different times all the way down the side of a truck the guy owned for like 5 hours. lol.

Actually its as funny now as it was back then.

Good Luck not getting screwed.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RangerDan)

driving on the street is shitty. i wish i could just take the racetrack to the mall. wide open, and if you get hit... well, whatever. no signals, no speed limit... just FUN.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:49 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: (the kid 86)

what the ****? old people suck at driving, yes. some old **** actually almost hit my brother and me on our way back to school yesterday. HOWEVER, this was completely your fault, and i hate you for making this thread to try to make yourself feel better by having people tell you it was the ladies fault.

COMPLETELY YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!

Failure to YIELD OWNZ JO0!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 06:02 AM

One time this senior man was backing out of the parking lot in a park. I was on the opposite parking side, and I backed in so our cars were facing the same direction.

He drove one of those big old domestic cars and the driving lane was quite limited, worried about him back into my bumper I got out and helped him out.

He backed out once, and I gave the go ahead sign. He stopped on time and nothing was hit. But there wasn't enough turning radius so he drove up a little, and then reversed again. Seeing him doing so I then watched his bumper and when it was coming close, I gave the halt and yelled "wo wo WO WO WO, stop!!"

He didn't hear me, bumped right into my front bumper and he had his window down, too (it was summer time). I was yelling quite loud as a matter of fact. I think he felt the little vibration so he stopped, smiled at me and drove away.

What can I say, have a nice day.