Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic.

There ya go.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (Spade)

Yeah, it came out of a truck. Not able to put truck motors in cars...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (Mr. ThunderLips)

The B16B is also illegal in CA if I am not mistaken...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (Mr. ThunderLips)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. ThunderLips &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, it came out of a truck. Not able to put truck motors in cars...</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's what that guy told me.....I was hoping a light truck could, but oh well no big loss here.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by garth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The B16B is also illegal in CA if I am not mistaken...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:13 AM
New User

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (Spade)

Virginia will soon be as **** as Cali.....we're getting there.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:15 AM

Just keep your stock motor in case you have to go to a ref because of a cop.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just deleted it because when I zoomed in, it was for the previous motor, a 1.8l GSR.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (vivid02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vivid02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just keep your stock motor in case you have to go to a ref because of a cop. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd plan on visiting a ref if I ever swap anyway.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd plan on visiting a ref if I ever swap anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For what?? Just wait until a cop pulls you over and makes you pop your hood. Then go to a ref.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (vivid02)

That's what I'm saying. Fugga smog legal car
Old 05-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vivid02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For what?? Just wait until a cop pulls you over and makes you pop your hood. Then go to a ref. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That way I don't have to pay the damn processing fee. I'm already legal with no worries. No sweating when I get pulled over.....nothing.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as you have a stock looking motor, the police really won't give you a ticket.

I had a cop look directly at my swapped hybrid. Looked around, asked if I had an intake. I said, "No, just a stock air box." He let me go on my way. Nothing more.

They won't get you unless you're doing something stupid to warrant suspision.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:31 AM

BAR sticker = less hassel...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (degooser)

Here is how I look at it.

Okay, so you make your motor all stock to get this bar sticker. Cool, you're legit.

But what happens when you decide you want to modify your motor? Cams, header, exhaust, all that fun stuff. So, now, you're basically back to square one. A car that won't pass emissions, but hey, you have that bar sticker.

Sweet.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (Green R)

haha. . CA sucks mang, I thought NJ was bad, I was double my Nox and co2 numbers, they'd probably put me in jail in CA.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:51 AM

Cops trip over an intake and header. They don't notice swaps. Most don't. I had a ZC single cam VTEC motor in my first coupe and the CARB dudes were there. (street racing raid) They made me pop my hood and they asked me about my motor. I said it is a stock motor. Then they asked me where my EGR valve was and they told my I removed it. On them. I told them civics don't have one. They had to go check other civics there too.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:20 AM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (743)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 743 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha. . CA sucks mang, I thought NJ was bad, I was double my Nox and co2 numbers, they'd probably put me in jail in CA. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the same problem. Ended up registering my car as a collectors vehicle. Cost me $20 at DMV and i'm emissions exempt...
Old 05-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (Green R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Green R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is how I look at it.

Okay, so you make your motor all stock to get this bar sticker. Cool, you're legit.

But what happens when you decide you want to modify your motor? Cams, header, exhaust, all that fun stuff. So, now, you're basically back to square one. A car that won't pass emissions, but hey, you have that bar sticker.

Sweet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cams aren't legal.
I will have the header and Intake on the car and on the BAR sticker.

That is why I only buy CARB exempt modifications.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (JV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I had the same problem. Ended up registering my car as a collectors vehicle. Cost me $20 at DMV and i'm emissions exempt... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you do that anywhere?
Old 05-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jea, so my d16z6 in my 1994 civic ex (stock engine) is legal? YES!!! The first bonus I've got from that engine...
Old 05-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think all you tuners should just move here to Texas......they dont give a flying f$ck what you got under your hood, and even so, there are numerous ways around our inspections
Old 05-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Green R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is how I look at it.

Sweet.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not necessarily. Skunk2 stage 1 cams are legal but thats besides the point.

CAMS: they won't see it. I got the sticker becasue it will give me a better chance if I get pulled over to let me go without a ref ticket.

HEADER: i like the JDM 4-1 with the heat sheilds for the OEM look and for my simple set up, I wouldn't need anything more extreme.

Exhaust: a simple 2.5" mandrel bent pipes and a ES oval/Maganaflow muff painted black like mines never attracts attention. I didn't have a resonator when I first swapped. I got one put on though, not for the cops but for my hearings sake.

As long as you don't drive like a dunny to attract the cops attention, you should be all good.

And as far as passing emmisions, thats why you keep all of the stock stuff.

[edit:] B16A swapped civics, IM me for tips on getting your BAR sticker.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (BCRUZ)

Do I have to fight you Byron?
Old 05-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic. (SpoonFedHatch)

smog ref?????????

It really must suck for you guys who live in places that have inspections, emissions checks, whatever it is you call them.

Here is Orlando Floirda, they don't have anything like that. There are soooooooooooooo many cars here (not hooked up) that wouldn't pass its ridiculous. Cars without hoods, broken windshields, missing quarter panels, smashed rear ends, cars without exhausts at all. Hell I swapped a 95 motor into a 97 car, cops here don't care as long as you don't have clear tailights. (who has those anymore?)
Old 05-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Green R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do I have to fight you Byron? </TD></TR></TABLE>
hey, how do you know my name?

Quick Reply: Okay California, I called a smog ref. The B20 is not legal in the Civic.