Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ok, some questions before I start this summer.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, some questions before I start this summer.

Starting in August I will finally be out of the military and I can start working on my 1993 Del Sol S (D15 Non-VTEC version). I am going to go with a B18C GSR motor swap, but I will be getting some help from friends but none of us have the experience of working on Honda vehicles, but have worked on other cars before, so here are my questions...

P.S.: This will be a DD and I don't plan on FI just want to stay N/A to reach between 200-250 HP.

When I go to order the motor I will be using HMO website. Should I get a complete swap or just the Motor, Tranny, and ECU , or would it be better to just get a long block and a ITR Tranny and does a Long Block come with an ECU?

When I look for accessory parts like exhaust piping or cold air/ram air intakes should I go by my model of car when choosing the right one or the model of car of the engine I am using?

SHould I upgrade my shocks and brakes to higher quality for the extra weight of the engine and the higher power output?

To show off my noobness at working on cars... I have zero tools so is there a place on the webs that can tell me of tools I will need to do this myself? Where I am going to be doing this I have yet to able to find a DIY garage around for me to use.

I have no idea what OBD my car is I am sure it is either 1 or 0, but I have heard that OBD1 is the best to work with and much easier than OBD2 is this true?

That is all I can think of for now, but FYI I have been doing research over swaps for a while now. Maybe over a year now and these are questions I am having a hard time finding awnsers on.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok, some questions before I start this summer.

if you want to make over 200 whp u will have to do internal work like pistons, cams.....
its better to buy the complete swap since none of ur current parts can be use. just call HMO and ask them what u looking 4. yes ur car is obd1
Old 05-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off i have the same car with the same swap as your looking for. since you dont have any tools i suggest buying a good, quality set. then you will need an axle nut socket, O2 sensor socket. also you might want to find some where to do it. i suggest you do the work before you get out of the military. that way you can use the hobbie shop at your base. it will make things alot easier. also get a Manual to help you with.

if i was you i would just find a used block, have it bored out, then build it for N/A. you can get a ECU for pretty cheap. as far as an cold air intake i would suggest buying one from AEM for the EG with a B18C1 swap. for the header you will need to buy the one for the motor.

with suspensio and brakes thats all up to you. read up on all that stuff. alot of people say to upgrade but its all up to you. i just bought a complete GSR brake swap (front/rear). i also bought a 15/16 MC, brake booster and 40/40 prop valve; which ill be running brembo blanks, Axis's pads, SS brake lines, and full synthetic fluid. but thats all cause i like really good breaking in my car.

if you have specific question pm me and ill try to help you. hell im deployed and really dont do anything after work except, look up car info. and GL with the build
Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies and for the good info from them. Yea I would of loved to take advantage of the hobby car shop on base, but being on a submarine our schedule was too random for me to do anything serious to the car. I will be hounding these forums probably with my build and tons of questions while I do this primarily by myself.