Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it ok to run on only 3 cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it ok to run on only 3 cylinders?

I spun a rod bearing on cylinder 4 and with no fuel and spark going to it, it ran ok but im wondering if i could run this for about 2 weeks with some more **** getting messed up.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is it ok to run on only 3 cylinders? (pumpkyn)

You'll ruin the engine.

If anything the crank'll be off balance and walk. That's to say the least.

What do u want to do with this engine? Keep it? Run it till it dies and hope it lasts 2 weeks? Repair it? What kind of engine is it? Miles?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:31 PM

there was this guy with a v6 mustang and he thrashed on it and i forget how but he ended up losing a cylinder. he ran on 5 cylinders for a while, it sounded like ****.

i wouldnt advise it, like syndacate said you'll ruin your engine.

if you HAVE to drive it, then do it but dont joy ride.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it ok to run on only 3 cylinders? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll ruin the engine.

If anything the crank'll be off balance and walk. That's to say the least.

What do u want to do with this engine? Keep it? Run it till it dies and hope it lasts 2 weeks? Repair it? What kind of engine is it? Miles?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I want to replace the engine, it has 210k on the block and 125k on the head. D16y7/y8 head.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just need it to attempt to last 2 weeks til i get my check from my new job so i can get a motor from h-motors
Old 09-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pumpkyn)

You CAN, but i'd advise against it. I've seen plenty of engines run with one cylinder down but doing it for any extended length of time is never a good thing. What cylinder is it?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Froth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Froth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You CAN, but i'd advise against it. I've seen plenty of engines run with one cylinder down but doing it for any extended length of time is never a good thing. What cylinder is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

cylinder 4
Old 09-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's a choice between not driving it at all and getting a new engine, or driving it for two weeks - possibly blowing it up and THEN getting a new engine. Either way you're without a car for some length of time. There's not much risk if you're going to replace it anyway, the old motor is going to come out either way.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Froth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Froth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well it's a choice between not driving it at all and getting a new engine, or driving it for two weeks - possibly blowing it up and THEN getting a new engine. Either way you're without a car for some length of time. There's not much risk if you're going to replace it anyway, the old motor is going to come out either way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it would take me less than 6 hours to swap in a new motor. so if by some miracle it could make it then i would be feeling a lot better.

Plus it only knocks when im above 3k or whenever i let off the gas. other than that nothing really
Old 09-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove my POS civic after i blew 2 of my pistons cuz i was boostin with no tunning big no no...i drove around like that for about 6 months till i finally did a ls-v swap...
honda motor take anything you throw at them there awsome
Old 09-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Drive around like a grandma for two weeks then, don't go above 3k and be very very easy on the car. You might make it and you might not, It's a toss up honestly. I've seen v8's run on 7 cylinders for thousands of miles.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hitvtecgetloud09)

HEHE, its like a Metro. I bet it gets better gas mileage
Old 09-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97civicdx)

Oh, don't mess with the 3cyl 1.0 liter - It'll bite you. I bet 60mpg is nice though...
Old 09-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's good...but see, it's meant to run on 4 lol. A car meant to run on 3 like a metro has a totally different rutine .

Yeah, mustang run on 5, I saw a charger run on 7 - same thing. Though when you get to these smaller engines, 1 cyl of a V8 is 12.5% while 1 cyl of a 4cyl is 25%..and 33% of a I3. Big jumps if you ask me. Though as you can see, it matters a lot less when you got more cylinders.

Either way. You endanger walking the crank because the crank'll probably spin off balance. If your engine holds up it'll probably be fine. Might have some weird ******* noises coming from infront of you...and might not have 100% power (obviously) - but theoretically if you just spun a bearing...it COULD be okay. Not like "okay, go drive it for another 100k" but like "okay, let's run it another 2 weeks until it completely takes a crap." Can't guarantee it'll last that long, every engine reacts differently to different cataclysmic events.

If it was a middle cyl (2 or 3) it'd better but since it's on the end it's really gonna lag the crank out. So your power is gonna be ****. You could probably get away driving it....assuming you don't have to drive at 80mph on the highway. Local ****, to and from work (assuming work's relatively close) - yeah, you should be fine.

Though it could go into a worse breakdown and completely assfuck itself. Though it's going into the trashcan anyway, just drive it till it dies completely. Good luck for the next two weeks (or until you get your swap/new motor).
Old 09-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well it's good...but see, it's meant to run on 4 lol. A car meant to run on 3 like a metro has a totally different rutine .

Yeah, mustang run on 5, I saw a charger run on 7 - same thing. Though when you get to these smaller engines, 1 cyl of a V8 is 12.5% while 1 cyl of a 4cyl is 25%..and 33% of a I3. Big jumps if you ask me. Though as you can see, it matters a lot less when you got more cylinders.

Either way. You endanger walking the crank because the crank'll probably spin off balance. If your engine holds up it'll probably be fine. Might have some weird ******* noises coming from infront of you...and might not have 100% power (obviously) - but theoretically if you just spun a bearing...it COULD be okay. Not like "okay, go drive it for another 100k" but like "okay, let's run it another 2 weeks until it completely takes a crap." Can't guarantee it'll last that long, every engine reacts differently to different cataclysmic events.

If it was a middle cyl (2 or 3) it'd better but since it's on the end it's really gonna lag the crank out. So your power is gonna be ****. You could probably get away driving it....assuming you don't have to drive at 80mph on the highway. Local ****, to and from work (assuming work's relatively close) - yeah, you should be fine.

Though it could go into a worse breakdown and completely assfuck itself. Though it's going into the trashcan anyway, just drive it till it dies completely. Good luck for the next two weeks (or until you get your swap/new motor). </TD></TR></TABLE>

but the thing that sucks is that my work is about 14 miles away and i need to pick up my gf to take her to work that is 25 miles from my hosue. on an average day i drive the car about 80 miles or so. I may try it around the block and see how it reacts and ill make a decision then.

but thanks ALOT for the input!!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:40 PM

get a new girlfriend and make her drive you for 2 weeks
Old 09-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (superbangkok)

You'll be ok runnin' it for 2 weeks. I drove my Mitsubishi Mighty Max for almost 6 months on 3 cylinders, distributor cap was cracked so it ran better with the #4 spark plug wire unhooked, and now that I've replaced the distributor cap there was no damage to the engine.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EX-T)

i know a guy that drove on 3 cylinders for a long time in his accord. sounded like a wrx. he used to take 2 hour trips out of town and ****. i mean if its already broke whats the worse that could happen? you brake it some more. id drive it.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Re: (hitvtecgetloud09)

if i understand you right you dont care if it is gets more f'ed up. you just want to get 2 weeks. i get it. retard the timing a bit and run 50-0 weight racing oil with some "stp" and obvioiusly keep the revs down and it might even be kinda fun to see if you can pull it off. that is what i would do anyway.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:13 PM
H-T White Ops

Keep running it and boost it. That'll be fun.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only if your o.k to ask that question.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JSPECSIR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSPECSIR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know a guy that drove on 3 cylinders for a long time in his accord. sounded like a wrx. he used to take 2 hour trips out of town and ****. i mean if its already broke whats the worse that could happen? you brake it some more. id drive it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just drove it about 50 miles to take my gf home for fun and hahahahaha so ******* slow but it does sound like a WRX kinda. i raised the idle speed. seems like this could be a fun experience
Old 09-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Keep running it and boost it. That'll be fun. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol that would be a great experiment once i get the new motor is just for fun, boost this one and destroy it
Old 10-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the guy who posted about his mighty max...bigggg difference of pulling a plug wire and r unning 3 cyl and spinning a bearing and running 3 cyl O.o

big difference.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just drove it another 50 miles and still running strong, making no sounds. so far so god

Quick Reply: Is it ok to run on only 3 cylinders?