Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR.......

Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR.......

Never use any of that injector cleaner...most of it sucks crap. Seafoam is the best out there and it's good for multiple uses. Just like how the first guy wrote this up...it is good for the car...I usually use a third in the gas tank, another in the vacuum lines going to the manifold. I've had bad experiences putting it in the crankcase. Cleaning up that carbon build up is good for your motor but that's only if its been there has been regular maintance done to the motor. Don't pour it in before you go threw emission because your car will fail due to all that carbon cleaning and exhaust smoke. This stuff is O2 safe and does help with emissions if you going in. Of course you'll have to run your tank until its empty though and refill it back up. If you car has a lot of miles, it maybe that carbon that's holding it all together. Honda owners bewarn...if your car has about 150k miles...and if its never been rebuilt...and when you use this in the crankcase it will break down your seal and you'll notice oil leaking out everywhere. This is something i learn from my own mistake. so heads up everyone.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about after I replace the headgasket? is it safe to use then? should i replace the valvecover gasket and others before hand too? or should i just forget about using it in the crankcase altogether since my engine has more than 150k on it?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm saying its okay for your gas tank, vacuum lines to the IM, but just be very weary about putting it inside your crankcase. Like I said when i did so it ruin the seals and the gaskets. You can if you want but if it did happen don't say i didn't warn you. I just couldn't stop oil from leaking ever since. Honestly, I'd never put it in again. Its just not worth it. Take care of your engine with regular oil changes should be more then plenty. All I ever use is Royal Purple and for the engine and tranny. You will feel a world of a difference after all that's said and done.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Trial User

my seafoam experience!!! TOO much smoke!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB_zgx1cuOA

This is too much smoke
Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whole can? and i just like the spirited driving after seafoaming.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a nice HD DIY: 99 Civic DX Seafoam at 194k hope it helps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaUufJMELXg
Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I put seafoam in my tank. wasn't paying attention and ended up pouring the whole thing in. I noticed a big difference. Car idles allot smoother and seems allot peepier now. Gas mileage improved. I have a 93 Civic Sedan with a stock B18b1. I went from 28-30mpg city to about 35mpg city. I'm very happy with this since its my daily go getter. Going to do the vacuum line trick and see what smoke comes out and hopefully and happy with those results. Not going to do the crank case.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by drkstrs24
I put seafoam in my tank. wasn't paying attention and ended up pouring the whole thing in. I noticed a big difference. Car idles allot smoother and seems allot peepier now. Gas mileage improved. I have a 93 Civic Sedan with a stock B18b1. I went from 28-30mpg city to about 35mpg city. I'm very happy with this since its my daily go getter. Going to do the vacuum line trick and see what smoke comes out and hopefully and happy with those results. Not going to do the crank case.
good to hear that, i should try 2/3 on the gas later on my next seafoam DIY on the Scion tC
Old 12-17-2010, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn... I wanted to try this on my car, but it's at 194k. Once I get a 2nd car, I'll try it out.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z3pp3h
Damn... I wanted to try this on my car, but it's at 194k. Once I get a 2nd car, I'll try it out.
As long as you've been doing your regular maintenance, you should be ok. I did a Seafoam treatment at 180k and didn't get any new oil leaks.

Of course, if your engine blows up, it's not my fault.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I might try this out next oil change.

GSR has ~120k miles, oil religiously changed while it was n/a with Royal Purple every 5000 miles and is now turbo; oil religiously changed between 2000 and 3000 miles. New spark plugs go in every oil change. Coolant flush and refill every 2 oil changes. Just got a new battery, alternator, starter, rear main seal, and the headgasket has maybe 10k turbo'd miles on it along with valve cover gasket. Water pump and thermostat are next on my non oil change/plug maintenance list, unless something goes before those.

Think I'm safe?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've done this to many of my own cars and some friends cars they were scared s****less when there cars started smoking like crazy, it does smoke a lot so i usually put it in and turn off the car and let it sit for 5 mins then go drive it like across town (more or less backroads) and kinda romp on it the cars always run amazing afterwards. im not gonna lie it scared me the first time my dad showed me this trick.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it makes anyone feel any better, i recently seafoamed my mitsubishi evolution 8. alot of my friends thought i was stupid but i wanted to try it out due to a similiar thread like this one over on evom.net. i picked up 2 cans. one full one in the gas tank with only a quarter tank of fuel, and about a third of a can through the brake booster.

first impression was holy ****. i shut the car off after the brake booster and started it back after 20 min and got very little smoke. i didnt however rev the motor while at idle so that was prob why. regardless idle is much more stable, fuel mileage greatly improved. throttle response is amazing now. it really does feel like a brand new engine. i did this at around 106k miles.

my next oil change is in 2500 miles and i plan on picking up another can, putting that whole can in the gas tank again to further clean the injectors since e85 really gunks them up and gas around here is shitty anyways. and again pouring a third into the brake booster line and this time reving the motor and pouring the rest in the oil and going for a spirited drive since i didnt the last time. im also going to change the plugs out when i do this.

this stuff WILL not harm a turbo in any way. their are plenty of videos on youtube of people using seafoam on diesels and dumping a whole can into the oil (granted the oil capacity is alot larger). but still if its doing no damage to their diesels it will do no harm to our gasoline engines.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did this on my D15B1 with 184,xxx miles. Runs much smoother now! Very easy to do!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Inb4 people come back in 3 months needing new piston rings...clean out your EGR valve/intake manifold instead of having your motor suck in devil ****. If you search around, someone did a how-to on this and went back to edit his post, saying his rings stopped sealing and it was due to the Seafoam. I've personally had the same thing happen so take it for what it's worth, I'm never touching this crap again
Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blaming seafoam for his blown rings was completely out of line. I've seafoamed my car on regular intervals ever since I bought it, and even after 10PSI from a 19T, I have zero problems. In fact, this weekend is oil change/fix minor leak weekend for me - I'll post some pictures if I remember.

1/3 bottle in gas, 1/3 bottle in oil, 1/3 bottle in through vacuum system, every 3k miles for ~4 years now. Zero problems.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did this to my GSR a couple of times. Once in the oil, and a handful of occasions in the vacuum line and tank.

Works well, all though I heard a rumor that it can hurt your cat and O2 sensors.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say the guy who messed up his car from seafoam was a dumbass anyways, I read his dumb thread
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by eg64u
i use to hear alot of negatives about seafoam but maybe some people didnt use it correctly
X2 Me too!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice good write up
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to try this tomorrow morning!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ima try it on my car