Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ok, if you can answer this, your smarter than anyone at mienake, tirex3, or kenedy trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok, if you can answer this, your smarter than anyone at mienake, tirex3, or kenedy trans

ok, i know 95% of you are going to say axle but just read:
first, its a 93 si with a si-rII complete swap from hmotors, i also got the lsd they offer for 300 more. steve told me it was a kaaz lsd because it was making noises like the axles were snapped till i used 80-w90 oil like steve suggested. i swaped it in with 185,xxx on the clock and currently have 192,xxx on it so everything is decently new.

ok, problem, ive started to here a clop sound coming from the area of the driver side axle, it sounds and feels like its doing this once per tire rotation, and it only does this when veered to the left during acceleration, i took it to my-na-key, kenedy trans, and tiresx3 and each one of them told me everthing looks good and they cant find the problem, they said the axle looks fine and they can't determain whats wrong with it, im miffed right now as to what it could be and i dont want to spend money on an axle right now unless im positive since im currently in college and have two vehicals to pay for and i have a small little craped garage with essentially no tools to work on it up here since im from the sioux falls area now in fargo.

please help, im in dire need
also, what happens when you blow an axle with lsd, whats it do to the tranny
Old 03-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ok, if you can answer this, your smarter than anyone at mienake, tirex3, or kenedy trans (EG93si

im gonna have to say you have a loose intermediate shaft. it has 3 bolts that hold it in place. if there arent the 3 bolts there, the car will have a clopping noise. And I believe most aftermarkwt LSDs make noise too. hope thats it
Old 03-10-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: ok, if you can answer this, your smarter than anyone at mienake, tirex3, or kenedy trans (EG93si

likely not to be a kaaz lsd, because he offers optional stock lsd's, not aftermarket. why dont u put in on jacks and look if anything is making contact while the tires in motion.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idk, id like some light shed on that too, steve, from hmotors told me it was a kaaz, and all the sympotms of running mtf in a kaaz happend, thats why im running that weight, also, the guy at tiresx3 said it look like my tranny had been seperated cuz the "gasket" looked like a reddish orange bead of something, idk if thats how it came
Old 03-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, would someone shed some more light on the intermediate shaft thing, pics of what to tighten or look for, im desprate dudes, please
Old 03-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay you said that thicker fluid stopped the problem

When did it start again? Hitting M4d Vtak?

Its hard to diagnose when all you're giving us is an imaginary sound we all have to 'hear'

Maybe it was that last burnout that fuxed your lsd. replace your lsd with pcp and all is good.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that was a different problem, if you go to the kaaz website you can read about all the noises the tranny, not the axle area, will make if not running the right fluid

it just started doing it recently, i do hit "m4d Vtak" alot but never from a stop, no reason to

no burn outs to date, azenis are too expensive to do that shat
Old 03-10-2006, 01:21 PM
DixielandImports Please

Default Re: (EG93si)

Check the intermediate shaft and also your wheel brg on that side.
Also the "orange" stuff you see is where they took the tranny apart to put the LSD in.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea this is hard to tell what it could be with just "clop sound". But if i would to guess i would 2nd the intermediate shaft. If you could jack up the car and look at your drivers axle youll see it doesnt go into the tranny but a shaft, thats the intermediate shaft, grab on to it and see if it moves, if its loose then that could be your problem.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:25 PM

The intermediate shaft is the part that goes between the tranny and the drivers side axel. You will have to jack the car up pretty high on jackstands and wiggle your *** under there so that you can see the back side of your block(that is where it is bolted on) Like someone else said there are a few bolts that hold it so just make sure they are tight and there is no play in the shaft. If all the bolts are tight and there is no play in the shaft then maybe start looking at the LSD. I have read some things somewhere where the clutch type LSDs are pretty noisey on thier own.

Have you searched and read any of the LSD threads that pop up? Especially in the RR/ Auto X forum they might be a good place to source as well if you have not already tried that.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know what the "typical" noises of the lsd are, i drove the car for about 10,xxx with it before this, im going to go check the half shafts right now and check the motor mounts again, also does this mean i do have an after market one, cause im 90% sure its a kaaz and steve was positive
Old 03-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ralphie14)

Sounds like wheel bearings to me. We have the same problem with our CRV, it makes a loud "clop clop clop" when turned left. Ours is definitely the bearing so check that out too.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my car does the same thing, but it happens regardless of which way i'm turning (as long as I'm making a sharp turn while on the throttle). I always just figured it was the axle popping because of my LSD forcing both wheels to turn at the same speed, even though the outside wheel has a longer distance to travel. I've been told it still pops when turning and not on the throttle (by people outside the car), but I can only hear it when on the throttle.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG93si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know what the "typical" noises of the lsd are, i drove the car for about 10,xxx with it before this, im going to go check the half shafts right now and check the motor mounts again, also does this mean i do have an after market one, cause im 90% sure its a kaaz and steve was positive
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes a Kaaz is an aftermarket LSD and I believe all the Kaaz LSDs are cluth type and not the diff type like the OEM honda ones or one like a Quife (sp?)
Old 03-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya, checked the shaft and the motor mounts, all as tight as the day i put in, im thinking it might be the wheel bearing

so is a kaaz a prefrable lsd to have?
Old 03-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG93si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya, checked the shaft and the motor mounts, all as tight as the day i put in, im thinking it might be the wheel bearing

so is a kaaz a prefrable lsd to have?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wheel bearing= jack up that side of the car spin the wheel. noise=problem.

if the noice occours at low speed also, see if one of your friends can walk next to your car while you drive it real slow as to pinpoint the location of the problem.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can someone go a little more indepth as to checking the wheel bearing?
Old 03-11-2006, 12:24 AM

alot of time hmotors get trannies and engines with aftermarketparts in them. im sure thats why you got that lsd with your swap.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, would this make sense then, my b doesn't sound at all like my friends whos got the 88-91 in his 94ex, also, with nothing but an kn cone and azenis, with a 15in rockford in the back, full interior on an si, i ran a 14.8 my first time on the track? could i have aftermarket internals, i never thought about it, but mines the fastest b of all my friends, mines stock and i just walk on them
Old 03-11-2006, 11:24 AM

another easy way to check for a wheel bearing is to jack up the front end of the car, grab the wheel/tire at 6:00 and 12:00, wiggle it and look for movement. if there is movement, and it's not a ball joint it can mean wheel bearing.

it's kind of uncommon in my personal experience for a honda wheel bearing to fail like that, but it's not impossible.

another thing you could do is listen to the bearing with the wheel spinning as has been mentioned.

jack the front up, take the wheels off and run it in gear. chances are you won't be able to tell visually if its broke, so listen to it.

i sometimes listen to it with a screwdriver

good luck with that noise.