Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ok i NEED HELP.....Brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok i NEED HELP.....Brake issues

ok so i took the car out of storage this Friday (96 civic CX hatch) and i went for a drive. As I came into the driveway at home all of a sudden I went to go apply the brakes and the pedal went to the floor and the only caliper that was stopping was the front drivers side one

I figured it was just air so i pumped and it went away.

the next day on my way to school it happened again coming to a stop sign. so when i got home i decided to bleed the brakes. After that i went out for supper and it was mint until i got into the parking lot and it happened again....foot went to the floor and only the front drivers side caliper was working.

I tried bleeding again and it was fine again until the next time i took it out and the same thing happened...only this time, the brakes wouldnt come back if i pumped...so i had to drive 40min back home with practically no brakes

At this point I thought my brake master cylinder had gone...so i ordered one and changed it about 2 hours ago.

we bled the entire system and then went out for a drive...the car stopped extremely well and pedal feel was excellent. we did both some spirited and some gandpa stops and everything was #1.

so we brought the car home and guess what. Pulling into my drive way the pedal went to the floor WTF!!!!!

So now I want to get this straight. My lines are brand new, and my brake master cylinder is brand new. In my book the only other thing that it could be is the Brake Booster or the line distributer (the thing that all the lines plug up to)

So please let me know what your thought are on this cause i REALLY wanna fix this soon and i dont wanna spend money on parts that arent gonna help my situation.

BTW the car has drums in the rear

Thanks Alot in advance to any who will help me. Its very much appreciated
Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Default Re: ok i NEED HELP.....Brake issues (patrickd_21)

Are you losing fluid anywhere?Did you add new fluid when you bled the M/C?How did you bleed it?
My guess is going go be the B/B though Ive seen them get filled up with brake fluid and stop working and cause that problem.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Check for possible leaks from the front brake calipers and lines, as well as the rear wheel cylinders and lines.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ok i NEED HELP.....Brake issues (JDM Lyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM Lyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you losing fluid anywhere?Did you add new fluid when you bled the M/C?How did you bleed it?
My guess is going go be the B/B though Ive seen them get filled up with brake fluid and stop working and cause that problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know how to bleed brakes very well lol. I do them on my track car and on my father track car.

My brake lines are all new and yes i did add fluid as i was bleeding. Also I'm not loosing anyfluid from what I can see. I figure if there was a leak in my lines it would **** out from there as I was bleeding it but it doesnt. And if that was the case I dont think I would be able to get such a rock hard pedal feel.

Any one else have ideas?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?????
Old 04-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a pretty similar problem on my car some time ago and it ended up being the wheel cylinders. They didnt look wet or anything until I actually took them apart. It took awhile to find the problem but there it was the rear wheel cylinders.
If this isnt your problem, how well does the brake fluid flow out of each wheel when bleeding the system? If its not fairly equal at all four your proportioning valve could be clogged.
How clean was the fluid? I know you probably know all this but, Ive seen some professional mechanics missed these things.
Lastly it just might be your booster. The diaphragm can rupture inside not pushing the brakes fully and causing only the front drivers to work since that is the shortest line from the master cylinder.
Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TwoToes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwoToes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a pretty similar problem on my car some time ago and it ended up being the wheel cylinders. They didnt look wet or anything until I actually took them apart. It took awhile to find the problem but there it was the rear wheel cylinders.
If this isnt your problem, how well does the brake fluid flow out of each wheel when bleeding the system? If its not fairly equal at all four your proportioning valve could be clogged.
How clean was the fluid? I know you probably know all this but, Ive seen some professional mechanics missed these things.
Lastly it just might be your booster. The diaphragm can rupture inside not pushing the brakes fully and causing only the front drivers to work since that is the shortest line from the master cylinder.
Hope this helps, good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks alot for the help dude...the fluid flow perfectly out of all four corners and the fluid is BRAND NEW...like i opened it yesterday...and its not **** either (Im using ATF BLUE fluid)

Im gonna go pick up a BB today and try that to see if it works...i really hope it does
Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So was the booster the problem or what? Hopefully, but let us know.