Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oil pump... yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump... yay or nay?

does the oil pump ever need a change? i'm doing my timing belt and water pump... and would like to know if i should or need to change the oil pump.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pump... yay or nay? (idriveadelsol7)

Mileage? Car?

I replaced my timing belt/water pump at around 80k and I didn't change the oil pump.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:00 AM

Default Re: oil pump... yay or nay? (******)

jdm d15b.... so i have no idea. barely got the thing put in so i have no idea upon mileage. i figure since i'll be doing all of that.. i should just get it done too
Old 12-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, change the oil pump. It's the heart of your engine...literally...not replacing it is just being cheap and lazy.

I bought mine from Showcase Honda, and paid 190 shipped for my H22 pump brand new...dealer wanted $250 bucks!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:50 AM

i think for the 94 del sol si vtec (non-b16) it's about 120$
Old 12-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 3:05 PM 11/16/2006
Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pump... yay or nay? (schlit)

Yeah, but for $120. Just change it, and know that your engine is getting proper oil circulation.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pump... yay or nay? (O RLY)

Sounds like it's more of a matter of preference than anything else. If you've got the money to spend, go ahead and replace it I guess.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

Default Re: oil pump... yay or nay? (O RLY)

Old 12-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it's overkill, but it is his preference.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

follow your helms to check the oil pump. there is a procedure to determine the serviceability of the pump.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you say that, then I would recommend changing out your entire distributor assembly, they're only $180 and I've actually had a distributor bearing burn up and strand me in the middle of nowhere....there is a large list of $120 items you could change out just to be sure nothing major happens.

I think it's overkill, but it is his preference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your oil pump is far more likely to die than your dizzy will. The oil pump is recommended to be changed @ 90-105k miles. Its not overkill, its very smart to follow what Honda says.

It's almost hypocritical to say that its overkill to replace the oil pump but not the water pump. They have the same maintenance schedule and they're both as likely to die. They're both vital to the engine life. Do you replace your water pumps @ 200k also? It sounds like you wouldnt even make it to 200k.

If you burn a dizzy, you buy a new one, you'll know its bad because your car wont work.

If you blow an oil pump you'll be buying a new engine.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:48 AM
Banned

Default Re: oil pump... yay or nay? (FuNkDrSpOt)

Old 12-09-2005, 05:35 AM
B A N N E D

please change it or you will be like me with your car in the shop for a fucked up crank
Old 12-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Your oil pump is far more likely to die than your dizzy will. The oil pump is recommended to be changed @ 90-105k miles. Its not overkill, its very smart to follow what Honda says.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oil pumps are not a maintenance item. They do go bad sometimes, but most should last the life of the engine.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i use some 10w oil and in the morning ( kind a 10 grades celsius ) when i start the engine , oil light stays on about 5 seconds and than it goes off

bad pump ?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cioli)

Why is this thread still even active. You're right, let him do what he wants. I mean, I've seen people rebuild engines, making sure they bought ARP head and main studs for a 250 whp engine, which aren't even necessary, and not replace the oil pump. Now only one of the engines actually blew up, and it may not have been an oil pump. But it's much nicer to just drive the car knowing you have a brand new OEM, Honda guaranteed, oil pump in your motor. You'll probably be fine without one. Replacing it is just smart, that's all. If you're concerned about dumping $120 bucks into a Honda motor for an oil pump, you don't deserve a quick motor to begin with.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cioli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cioli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i use some 10w oil and in the morning ( kind a 10 grades celsius ) when i start the engine , oil light stays on about 5 seconds and than it goes off

bad pump ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Most likely. I had a VW that would do that, and it turned out to be the pump.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:13 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (O RLY)

nicely said.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by O RLY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is this thread still even active. You're right, let him do what he wants. I mean, I've seen people rebuild engines, making sure they bought ARP head and main studs for a 250 whp engine, which aren't even necessary, and not replace the oil pump. Now only one of the engines actually blew up, and it may not have been an oil pump. But it's much nicer to just drive the car knowing you have a brand new OEM, Honda guaranteed, oil pump in your motor. You'll probably be fine without one. Replacing it is just smart, that's all. If you're concerned about dumping $120 bucks into a Honda motor for an oil pump, you don't deserve a quick motor to begin with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most likely. I had a VW that would do that, and it turned out to be the pump. </TD></TR></TABLE> same with me now i am paying the price.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're retarded...to put it bluntly. I have never seen a Honda come through the shop with a bad oil pump. BUT, I always see dizzy's on cars making nasty noises because of shot bearings. Have you ever seen what a siezed dizzy can do to an engine?? It will stop the cam from moving, causing the t-belt to skip, and what do you know, bent valves. It is much more likely for this to happen than anything with the oil pump.

Oil pumps go bad usually because of foreign objects...too much gasket maker, etc.

Replacing the oil pump on a good running engine is stupid unless you have low oil pressue. WHy not buy a 20 dollar gauge and see what your oil pressure is??? Cheaper, you see what shape the engine is in, and you're good to go!
Old 12-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pump... yay or nay? (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Please dont turn this into a pissing match like almost every fuel filter post I see you going bezerk in. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha you still remember that? I guess i pissed off more people than i thought.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you're retarded...to put it bluntly. I have never seen a Honda come through the shop with a bad oil pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm retarded because in your one shop amonst THOUSANDS of shops, you havent seen a bad oil pump....A bad dizzy will usually have some tale tell signs of replacement, whereas oil pumps seem to go in the worst possible situations (i.e. in v-tec @ 8k ). So, if oil pumps dont go bad why dont you talk to Kaoss_11 about that, im sure he'll let you know. I'd rather have bent valves than a seized block. Either way, it's a little harsh to call me a retard because of preference. Calm yourself.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh, I'm calm. Go to your local Honda parts counter and ask how many Civic oil pumps they've sold this year compared to distributors....argument over
Old 12-09-2005, 07:08 PM
B A N N E D

To tell you the truth it can go both ways. Everyone knows that a dizzy may go out on a honda any day of the week but it is a little more rare to see an oil pump go out. The funny thing is that my oil pump just fucked up on me so there was no way of me knowing but just 6 months prior when i was building it, it was just fine. I blame the cams being to much for the oil pump.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pump... yay or nay? (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh, I'm calm. Go to your local Honda parts counter and ask how many Civic oil pumps they've sold this year compared to distributors....argument over</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was never an argument to begin with, despite your effort. I still prescribe to changing my oil pump when I change the water pump. Regardless of what you think I would say more people buy oil pumps than they do dizzys because of the fact that its recommended service. Its bundled into the 90k service at a LOT of different mechanics. I'm not going to bother with calling my local Honda places because I dont really care who's right.

Maybe its just because your Captain Fancy-Pants-Knowitall or maybe because I'm so obviously retarded but if people are so up in arms over this guy replacing the oil pump, why hasnt anyone said anything about the water pump? I would think those 2 are just as likely to go out. Also, is a dizzy part of the recommended service? @ what mileage would you guys recommend replacing the dizzy?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:16 PM
B A N N E D

You change a dizzy when it ***** up. good point.

Quick Reply: oil pump... yay or nay?