Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil pump went out could this cause damage to the head ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump went out could this cause damage to the head ?

Have a friend that had his oil pump go out and he needs some money to get a new motor. Was thinkin of buying his B16 head, but did not know if the head could of been damaged when the pump went out ? I have a GSR, and wanted to get it and put my CTR cams in the newer head.
Not really sure, i didn't think that the head would of been hurt, but anyway thats why i am asking ya'll.

I posted this in the tech forum but not much help thus far.

Also my car/engine is obd 1, the head is obd 2 does anything need to be changed?

thanks guys

Old 02-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Oil pump went out could this cause damage to the head ? (JohnnysEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JohnnysEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have a friend that had his oil pump go out and he needs some money to get a new motor. Was thinkin of buying his B16 head, but did not know if the head could of been damaged when the pump went out ? I have a GSR, and wanted to get it and put my CTR cams in the newer head.
Not really sure, i didn't think that the head would of been hurt, but anyway thats why i am asking ya'll.

I posted this in the tech forum but not much help thus far.

thanks guys

</TD></TR></TABLE>

have him pull it and inspect it... if the cam turns and the valves all open and close it's probobly fine.

How long did it run w/o the oil pump... did it sieze the engine... if so it could be fine if the timing belt is intact.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pump went out could this cause damage to the head ? (NonovUrbizniz)

The motor didn't seize and he already has the head of and taken apart.

The head is obd 2 and my motor is obd 1 is this going to be a problem?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

morning bump before work

anyone esle, maybe know of anything ?
Old 02-17-2004, 05:28 AM

An oil pump failing usually causes some scoring of the cam bearings but it mainly trashes the bottom end. You'll have to pull the cam bearing caps and see what kind of shape they are in. Most of the time they are ok though.

As for the OBDI or II. It shouldn't make any difference. All the sensors are on the manifolds. If you search, I'm sure lots of people have done it and have the answer for you.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Oil pump went out could this cause damage to the head ? (yellow_jacket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellow_jacket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An oil pump failing usually causes some scoring of the cam bearings but it mainly trashes the bottom end. You'll have to pull the cam bearing caps and see what kind of shape they are in. Most of the time they are ok though.

As for the OBDI or II. It shouldn't make any difference. All the sensors are on the manifolds. If you search, I'm sure lots of people have done it and have the answer for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure the distributer connectors are different... not 100% though.

You could probobly get/use an obd1 b16 dist. though.

and as mentioned you want to inpect both the head and the cam at EVERY contact point... make sure there's no serious scoring...
Old 02-18-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Oil pump went out could this cause damage to the head ? (NonovUrbizniz)

you will have to use your obd1 distributor because the obd2 dist has a different plug setup alternator plugs are also different but if your using your gsr block you'll be fine there look for scaring on the cams and valvetrain from lack of oil..
Old 02-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Oil pump went out could this cause damage to the head ? (swaytec)

To reinforce what was said above....

inspect the cam journals thoughorly. That's the main thing to look at. The journals should be clear and free of scaring and contrasts of dark/light spots.

If the dist bolt patterns are different-can't remember off tha dome, then just swap over OBD1 guts into the OBD2 distributor. I have done this....pretty simple.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pump went out could this cause damage to the head ? (Emerika)

hey guys, thanks alot. supposed to go and look at the head today, havent been over to my friends since his pump went out. i will definatley check out everything.

thanks again