Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil Pressure Switch Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Switch Wiring

Ok I know one side of the oil pressure switch has to be wired to the ECU the other to ground? Does it matter wich side if the 2 lines need to be grounded or sent to the ECU? The guy before me broke the houseing of the switch and I have to wire it up by Soldiering wires to each of the two tabs on the switch.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Pressure Switch Wiring

Originally Posted by TheEvilBain_TDB
Ok I know one side of the oil pressure switch has to be wired to the ECU the other to ground? Does it matter wich side if the 2 lines need to be grounded or sent to the ECU? The guy before me broke the houseing of the switch and I have to wire it up by Soldiering wires to each of the two tabs on the switch.
Buy a new oil pressure switch.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:26 PM

Well no matter if I buy a new one I still have to wire it in to the ecu. My car is a 1994 Civic that had a 1.5 non Vtec. Now it has a D16Y8 and I have a chipped p28 ecu. I have to wire the vtec and the oil switch and maybe the knock sensor if my car has a knock sensor. So thats why I wanted to know does it matter wich wire is wired to ground and wich one goes to the ecu on the oil switch.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well no matter if I buy a new one I still have to wire it in to the ecu. My car is a 1994 Civic that had a 1.5 non Vtec. Now it has a D16Y8 and I have a chipped p28 ecu. I have to wire the vtec and the oil switch and maybe the knock sensor if my car has a knock sensor. So thats why I wanted to know does it matter wich wire is wired to ground and wich one goes to the ecu on the oil switch.
It does, I will post the schematic for the oil pressure switch when I get off work.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:41 PM

Thank You. Will it hurt if you hook it up the wrong way first time. The Reason I aske is because even if I buy a new switch I dont have the wire plug. So I would have to fine a used switch at the wrecking yard and cut the wired to it so I have a plug. All I have is to prongs out of the switch here is a picture.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank You. Will it hurt if you hook it up the wrong way first time. The Reason I aske is because even if I buy a new switch I dont have the wire plug. So I would have to fine a used switch at the wrecking yard and cut the wired to it so I have a plug. All I have is to prongs out of the switch here is a picture.

Sorry my internet was down when I got home last night and all day today. It will hopefully work when I get off so I can post a schematic for you.

I haven't looked at the design of the oil pressure switch so I can't say exactly if hooking it up wrong will **** it up, but I would day it would be better not to find out and hook it up the right way to begin with. Electrical **** can be picky at times, do something wrong and it may be fine, another time you'll kill it.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:38 AM

Agreed lol. No worries man. I called all my wrecking yards and none of them have the oil switch. Most of there cars dont even have the motors. My problem is My car didnt have a vTec so I have to wire the switch up. The other problem is I dont have the plug that hooks into the sensor and 3rd the housing on my sensor is broke lol what a pain.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed lol. No worries man. I called all my wrecking yards and none of them have the oil switch. Most of there cars dont even have the motors. My problem is My car didnt have a vTec so I have to wire the switch up. The other problem is I dont have the plug that hooks into the sensor and 3rd the housing on my sensor is broke lol what a pain.
Yeah I doubt that you will find an oil switch at a junk yard. Usually items like VTEC solenoids, FITV, IACV, dizzy, MAP sensor, ECU, etc get grabbed pretty quick. Its rare for me to find things like that in the you pull apart yards here in SoCal. Maybe next week when I go I can get lucky and find a clip left on an engine harness for you.. If I do I will chop it with a nice pigtail left for you to wire it in.

As for the pressure switch itself, most likely if you can't find one used on eBay or at a local junk yard your only option is new from the dealer.

Honda part number: 37250-PR3-003
List price is like $63.30
Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, here we go... Again sorry my net at home was all jacked up when I got off work the other night.

I know you said you don't have the clip there but the black wire is your ground... This would be the one opposite of the retaining clip. The blue/black wire would go to pin D6 at your ECU.

Since all of the plastic is busted off your pressure switch it would be hard to know which pin on the switch is supposed to go where.

So its time to buy a new switch and find a wiring harness clip. The problem I can see is that this clip is only used on the VTEC pressure switch. Other clips make look similar but the little tab (bottom right on the clip in the picture) will be in a different position. So I hope you can find this bad boy in a bone yard. Next week I will be going to the "you pull apart" lots, I will see if I can find a clip for you if you don't have one by then.

You may already have this but as I mentioned the blue/black wire has to be wired to pin D6 at the ECU. Please note that in the image below that the numbering for the pins is when viewing the clip from the wire side with the retaining clip up.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions let me know.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 PM

Man if you did that for me Ill send ya a money order for your time Seriously. I wouldnt have a problem buying a new one if I had the plug but since I dont Thats why I was going to soldier to the switch. Im also Trying to find the little prongs for the ecu so I can wire up the Vtec and The Switch but no luck there. I even went to all the auto stores and Honda next stop a computer store or radio shack lol. I have all the wires ran just need the metal plugs to slide into the ECU connector

LOL you just posted while I was writing this up so Now Im editing it. Thank you that does make it very clear. Shouldnt be too bad once I get the plug and switch. Im almost ready to put the tranny together got all the bearings and seals except for the main shaft seal waiting to get that on sat. They gave me a way smaller one then I needed.

Last edited by TheEvilBain_TDB; 07-09-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man if you did that for me Ill send ya a money order for your time Seriously. I wouldnt have a problem buying a new one if I had the plug but since I dont Thats why I was going to soldier to the switch. Im also Trying to find the little prongs for the ecu so I can wire up the Vtec and The Switch but no luck there. I even went to all the auto stores and Honda next stop a computer store or radio shack lol. I have all the wires ran just need the metal plugs to slide into the ECU connector

LOL you just posted while I was writing this up so Now Im editing it. Thank you that does make it very clear. Shouldnt be too bad once I get the plug and switch. Im almost ready to put the tranny together got all the bearings and seals except for the main shaft seal waiting to get that on sat. They gave me a way smaller one then I needed.
I'm glad you told me you don't have the pins either... I actually have a handful of these pins. I tend to do a lot of electrical work on Hondas so it is always good to have extra clips and pins for everything. Unfortunately right now I don't have an extra oil pressure switch clip. Its either repair the harness yourself, or drop big $$ on replacing the harness as a whole.

I should be hitting the lots like Wed or Thu next week, I hope I can find you a clip (and maybe a spare for myself ) But seriously, I know how much of a pain in the *** something can be so I'm willing to help you in any way I can. I'm already going to the lot for stuff I need so it isn't out of my way or anything. If I find a clip, its yours, don't worry about sending me any money order or anything, I got ya covered. And sending it first class mail will be like $3 so it isn't a big deal. $3 and a few minutes of my is worth it to me to see you get your car running. If by chance I don't find the clip, I will still mail you some ECU pins either way.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Ahh there has to be some way to repay ya. Your doing me a big favor. Hey did you see my other post about My ecu being chipped for a D16Y8 same motor as mine but the guy I bought it from his was turbo alot of people on here said go back to stock and some others said it would work. The ones that said go stock said it would just run real rich. Anyways lol if I posted another thread and no one has replied. Asking if I went all msd Coil, Box, Cap, Rotor, Wires and Bocsh plat 4 plugs would that even things out and keep it from running so rich since it would have a way more violent spark to burn the fuel more completly? Dont mean to pick your brain but thanks for everything.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh there has to be some way to repay ya. Your doing me a big favor. Hey did you see my other post about My ecu being chipped for a D16Y8 same motor as mine but the guy I bought it from his was turbo alot of people on here said go back to stock and some others said it would work. The ones that said go stock said it would just run real rich. Anyways lol if I posted another thread and no one has replied. Asking if I went all msd Coil, Box, Cap, Rotor, Wires and Bocsh plat 4 plugs would that even things out and keep it from running so rich since it would have a way more violent spark to burn the fuel more completly? Dont mean to pick your brain but thanks for everything.

Seriously, no worries on repayment for the clip (again if I can find one) and the ECU pins bro.

As for your chipped P28 ECU problem. The car will run fine however it will run rich for sure.

Now keep in mind that adjusting PGMFI fuel maps on an ECU is one thing, but the rest of the system has to be able to mechanically support what you are telling it to do. The turbo setup he was running probably had a high-output fuel pump, larger injectors and adjustable pressure regulator. All of which could mechanically support the fuel requirements the ECU was telling them the engine needed.

Now with your setup the ECU will still be telling the system to provide the same amount of fuel, however mechanically your injectors and fuel pump will not be able to do that. But they will be working to their maximum capacity; which is more than a stock engine would need/use. So you would be running rich. Adding better ignition etc would help, but you still wouldn't use all that fuel. I'd suggest either getting a stock P28 or having the one you have now reflashed with a more conservative fuel map.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Damn lol. I bought that Ecu for 150 because the guy I bought the car from said he took out the old 1.5 non vtec and put in a a D16Y8 He also thought the Vtec worked fine well Im sure it would have if it was wired up and didnt have the stock ecu so a guy on here said buy a p28 (chipped would be nice) I found one chipped but I didnt know tell after I bought it his rig was turbo. I guess Ill try it and if its running rich somone said Cut J1 connector or somthing? Who ever Tuned the Ecu and chipped it did put a jack then the chip in how come I cant just pull the chip and wouldnt that make it run stock?

Oh yea I found out the guy I bought the car from is running the stock Dx tranny from 1994 with this motor. Least thats what honda says. I think I might Sell this car and get a 1992 to 1994 prelude lol or a newer salvaged RSX. I was in the process of also buying a underdrive crank pully 4-2-1 Header taking out the cat. MSD set up and stage 2 clutch but it sounds like this might be a waste of time and money on this car since I still have to replace the damaged fenders (was going with some F1s)
Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn lol. I bought that Ecu for 150 because the guy I bought the car from said he took out the old 1.5 non vtec and put in a a D16Y8 He also thought the Vtec worked fine well Im sure it would have if it was wired up and didnt have the stock ecu so a guy on here said buy a p28 (chipped would be nice) I found one chipped but I didnt know tell after I bought it his rig was turbo. I guess Ill try it and if its running rich somone said Cut J1 connector or somthing? Who ever Tuned the Ecu and chipped it did put a jack then the chip in how come I cant just pull the chip and wouldnt that make it run stock?

Oh yea I found out the guy I bought the car from is running the stock Dx tranny from 1994 with this motor. Least thats what honda says. I think I might Sell this car and get a 1992 to 1994 prelude lol or a newer salvaged RSX. I was in the process of also buying a underdrive crank pully 4-2-1 Header taking out the cat. MSD set up and stage 2 clutch but it sounds like this might be a waste of time and money on this car since I still have to replace the damaged fenders (was going with some F1s)

I would just get this running and consider doing a swap, IMO D-series is no dice. Yeah you can make OK power with a turbo... But I wouldn't personally drop a **** load of money in a D-series build.

Do some research into how an ECU is chipped and all about PGMFI. http://wikitest.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view.pl

Cutting the J1 jumper should work to resore the map to stock. I haven't played with Uberdata etc for about 6 years now so I'm a little rusty on that subject. But if I recall correctly the J1 jumper is the meat and potatoes of telling the ECU to call the EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) chip for the fuel map. So cutting it should be fine. Or very simple, get an EPROM chip that has been flashed with a stock P28 map and replace the chip in your ECU (if the tuner did socket it to begin with).
Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Thank you for all your help. Im really good with cars but hondas have proven them selfs to be alittle more of a headache lol. What car should I look for to void out the swap? I buy cars from Coparts (check them out if you want you can still search inventory without join up with an account there is there one of the biggest in about everystate) I just notice most swaps are at least 3 to 6 grand wouldnt It be better to just by the car with the motor in it. lol.

I bought this 1994 civic 4 door for 1,300 bucks. I figured the rims were worth that and it was lowerd and they swapped a vteck in it Im hoping after I put the tranny back in and do a little work I could sell it for 2,500 but its looking scary lol
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for all your help. Im really good with cars but hondas have proven them selfs to be alittle more of a headache lol. What car should I look for to void out the swap? I buy cars from Coparts (check them out if you want you can still search inventory without join up with an account there is there one of the biggest in about everystate) I just notice most swaps are at least 3 to 6 grand wouldnt It be better to just by the car with the motor in it. lol.

I bought this 1994 civic 4 door for 1,300 bucks. I figured the rims were worth that and it was lowerd and they swapped a vteck in it Im hoping after I put the tranny back in and do a little work I could sell it for 2,500 but its looking scary lol
Yeah if I were you I would get it up and running, then sell it. 4dr = grocery getter.

Honestly I would look at an RSX-S. That is what I will be getting this winter/next spring for my daily driver (of course I'm going to play with it a little). But its an awesome car for a build. Already has a K20 which is primo IMO.

For my builds I'm a fan of the EJ1. On my fifth EJ1 build.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:25 AM

I just still have so much to learn about before I can start doing swaps.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes the best way to learn is to just do it. Obviously have a service manual and the proper tools.

And look on the bright side, if you **** something up you will learn even more in the process of fixing it!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey bro I haven't forgotten about you and the clip you need. Things have just been crazy and I haven't had a chance to go the pick your part lot. Hopefully this week I will make it... I know I'm holding your **** up and I'm sorry for that.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I have good news and I have bad news....

Which do you want to hear first?

Everyone likes good news right... So I was at the bone yard today, and I found the clip for you (actually like 3-4 so I have some spares). And I have plenty of ECU pins for you as well. Did you need the engine to chassis harness pins as well? I have them if you need them...

Now the bad news, I don't have your address to mail them out, so PM me when you get a chance.