Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil Pressure Light, possible issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Pressure Light, possible issues?

I have a fully built d16y8.

Before I took parts off to get ceramic coated and powder coated the car ran fine for the 2 months right I had it after a complete rebuild. I never got on it hard as a tune was needed. Never had oil pressure, coolant temperature issues. Idle was jacked up because of my new skunk2 manifold and bad iacv, but the car drove fine.

About 4 weeks ago I finalized putting everything back together:

-new turbo
-intake and exhaust manifold
-I/C piping
-turbo coolant(-6an) and oil feed lines(-3an)
-new iacv
-new map sensor
-calibrated new tps 100% to spec
-greddy thermostatic oil sandwich plate with oil pressure/temp gauges(ports to oil cooler are capped off)
-installed ID injectors with their harness adapter
-wired boost by gear solenoid, including wire to ecu
-topped off with oil
-topped off radiator, but needs to be bled because I drained it all before

That's all that I did, everything is on, no coolant/oil leaks with car off.

The shop finally gets done with full 3" exhaust and then they run into some electrical issues to get the car tuned. New injector adapters for the id injectors weren't making good connections, so they hardwire the oem harness wires straight to the id injector clips.

That problem is now fixed, on to the tune today. During the setup to match rpm's with dyno the shop told me the oil pressure light came off for a second and they immediately cut car off.

They took a plug/cap off my tee where the oem oil pressure switch is at and hook up a mechanical pressure gauge. They said I would have normal oil pressure at idle and some times after holding low rpms and letting off the pressure would drop to 5 or 10psi.

The shop also did a compression test, all are good.

They also said the gauges I installed and had never used before matched what the mechanical gauge was reading. The gauges I installed are reading from the oil filter adapter, and again they are pulling readings above that where the oem oil pressure switch is located, which also feeds the turbo.

They said the car, when running, sounds fine. No noises, no leaks anywhere. The car ran fine before I installed all the modified parts so I feel like I'm 100% sure it's not motor related.

I told them I think the issue is with the greddy thermostatic oil sandwich adapter. That's the only thing, besides the turbo, that was changed on the car related to oil.

They're going to take it off and put the filter back in place by itself.

Sorry for the long read, I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible with how the car was running for 2 months after the rebuild, to what was changed during downtime, to now.

And supposedly Chris Miller is at the shop tuning a bunch of cars and one of the employees told me he wasn't sure what it could be either since the motor seems fine.

Besides the thermostatic oil adapter, would the coolant system needing to be bled have ANY effect on any of this?

Any input would be appreciated. I'd like to call back to the shop before tonight with anything extra if it helps. If the oil adapter magically fixes the problem it'll be tuned tonight. But this car has been a pain for a few days now, hoping it ends soon....on a good note.