Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oil pressure light...is this normal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure light...is this normal???

my civic is not a daily driver. i usually turn it on at least every other day even if i'm not going to drive it. i just turn it on and let it run for a little while and then turn it off.

the past two times i turned the car on, the car would turn on, then the oil light would blink, then turn off. this only happens on the first start up. i turned off the car and waited for a few seconds and turned it on again and it didn't happen again.

i don't turn on the car the next day but i do it the day after and the same thing happens. i turn the car on, all the lights turn off like the check engine light and battery light and oil light. then the oil light blinked real quick and turned off.

took it for a drive last night. at full throttle, the oil pressure read around 75psi or so. at idle, its reading kinda high, like 25psi. i have a cheap oil pressure guage though. i have enough oil in the motor also. when driving, the oil light doesn't come on or anything.

i'm using 10w-40 oil. i'm going to change it to 10w-30 this weekend.

any ideas?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: oil pressure light...is this normal??? (boostedeghatch)

motor is a jdm gsr motor
Old 05-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your oil pressure numbers seems right. How long did you drive and the idle was at 25psi? Usually when i drive mines at 18-20psi.

Why it blinks, i have no clue, but your numbers are ok and you have enough oil, i think just because you dont start it everyday the oil needs time to circulate.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:42 PM

anyone else have any ideas?

it did it again today. i didn't turn the car on at all thursday, turned it on today to bring it to work. the oil light stayed on for a little bit at start up and then turned off. it seems like it takes a second or two for the oil pressure to start building when i first start it up.

i drove it down the street to the house. turned it off and checked the oil. oil level was fine. turned the car on again and it started right up and the oil light didn't blink like it did the first time i turned the car on.

i'm hoping its just cause i have it sitting there for a day or two before i turn it on again.

could it be cause of the oil i'm using 10w-40? could the oil pump need replacing?
could the oil pick up be damaged?
Old 05-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: oil pressure light...is this normal??? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your oil pressure numbers seems right. How long did you drive and the idle was at 25psi? Usually when i drive mines at 18-20psi.

Why it blinks, i have no clue, but your numbers are ok and you have enough oil, i think just because you dont start it everyday the oil needs time to circulate. </TD></TR></TABLE>

he said it best

just because of the fact you don't drive it on a regular basis will cause the oil light to blink(no oil in the engine, all at the bottom of the pan. totally normal and harmless. I had that happen before when I changed my oil and oil filter. for a brief second it will go on and then off.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:04 PM

my oil pressure is around 75psi at driving and around 28psi when at idle.

i think its the cheap guage i got though. the guage was only 6 bucks. i'm going to try and get a better one this weekend.

as long as the oil light isn't coming on after i drive its good right? i kinda got on it and the oil light didn't come on or anything after i came to a stop.

thanks