Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil pressure issue. Need a couple extra brains.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure issue. Need a couple extra brains.

OK so I get my new motor in. GSR block and ITR head. The block is newly rebuilt by a damn good Honda engine builder. Moving on, I go to fire it up for the first time and the gauge is showing no oil pressure. The oil light is coming on. I pulled the valve cover and there was plenty of oil in the head. To the point it was dripping from the valve cover after only about 10 seconds of running. I'm guessing thats a good sign. I checked both ends of the line for the Auto Meter gauge and they wernt blocked. I could blow air through the line easily. I resealed all the connections to the line and the sending unit and still nothing. I toot the T connector out and just put the stock sending unit in and the light still comes on. Any ideas ladys? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pressure issue. Need a couple extra brains. (TwoKSiR)

Tell us more about how your gauge and pressure switch is hooked up?
Have you tried a manual gauge right off the back of the block?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil pressure issue. Need a couple extra brains. (Crazydave)

^ Agreed. I think the sender(s) are faulty.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwoKSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK so I get my new motor in. GSR block and ITR head. The block is newly rebuilt by a damn good Honda engine builder. Moving on, I go to fire it up for the first time and the gauge is showing no oil pressure. The oil light is coming on. I pulled the valve cover and there was plenty of oil in the head. To the point it was dripping from the valve cover after only about 10 seconds of running. I'm guessing thats a good sign. I checked both ends of the line for the Auto Meter gauge and they wernt blocked. I could blow air through the line easily. I resealed all the connections to the line and the sending unit and still nothing. I toot the T connector out and just put the stock sending unit in and the light still comes on. Any ideas ladys? Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even a reputable tech can screw an engine up, we are all human. An oil pressure gauge off the oil pressure switch on the block is needed to determine if you have enough oil. When you first start the engine cold, you should hear the pistons on the cylinder walls briefly, like a slight scraping sound, that quickly goes away. That will let you know you have at least 20-25 psi of oil on the mains. (takes 20PSI to open the jets)

I would highly suggest not driving the car until you know you have good oil pressure. Was the oil pump replaced? What weight oil?
Old 08-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, if the car has a bung coming outta the back of the block going to an oil line, and then a tee for both sending units, the sending units are 1 wire, and it gets it's ground from being screwed into the block. Conect a short piece of stripped wire to the tee, by just wrapping it around it, and connecting the other end of the short piece of wire to the chassis, creating a ground for both sending units. See if it makes everyhting work right.....this happened to me, EXACTLY...lol
Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pressure issue. Need a couple extra brains. (themorphious)

You will notice your rods knockinging if you have no oil pressure... but then you are already in deep $hit!

Defintely try the following:

1.) Disconnect the two wire that connect to your distributor
2.) Hook up a mechanical gauge to the oil line
3.) verify that the sender is properly grounded.
4.) then crank the motor and see if get oil pressure