Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oil on plug but car not smoking

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil on plug but car not smoking

checked out my plugs and found the number 2 plug like this. funny thing is all my plugs have oil but the rest have very little. this is the worse. the car doesnt smoke or anything and there is oil trail going down the plug tube.

my question is: are the plug seals, the one sandwiched by the valve cover and plug tube, different between sohc and dohc ones? coz my plug seals are relatively new and i've been having this ever since. or is my valve cover warped? i know the vc is on tight enough coz it dont leak anywhere outside the engine. is there an easy fix for this??

Old 04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: oil on plug but car not smoking (el_toro_de_magnifico)

you need to replace place the gromets that go around the spark plug holes. Its between the VC and the head
Old 04-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil on plug but car not smoking (el_toro_de_magnifico)

yummy! I mean... dang that sucks...

I JUST did the same thing as you... pulled all 4 plugs and there was oil in the plug tube... not a lot, just enough to have a film along the tube... but my plugs were clean but i only have 300 miles on my new motor

If you aren't burning oil, then your leaking in the upper area only, luckily! Just get a valve cover gasket kit (includes valve cover gasket, and 4 spark plug grommets). Cost me $18 from any local place... takes about 2 minutes to replace and my tubes are nice and dry now

Hopefully thats ur prob... change your plugs too while you're at it and make sure you torque the plugs down hand tight and then to spec

Btw... judging by the burned threads on your spark plug it looks like they go up about 5-6 threads... might wanna try a colder plug?
Old 04-15-2008, 05:27 AM

^thanks for the replies.

i will try to get a whole gasket kit coz i only got individual orings. hopefully that would solve it. colder plug? is the bkr7 coldr than the bkr6e for honda civics?

my engine is a b16 eg if this helps. i was asking if the sohc orings were different from the dohc one's is coz i found this guy selling them labels them for sohc or dohc and doesnt mix em up.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (el_toro_de_magnifico)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by el_toro_de_magnifico &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^thanks for the replies.

i will try to get a whole gasket kit coz i only got individual orings. hopefully that would solve it. colder plug? is the bkr7 coldr than the bkr6e for honda civics?

my engine is a b16 eg if this helps. i was asking if the sohc orings were different from the dohc one's is coz i found this guy selling them labels them for sohc or dohc and doesnt mix em up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm running the bkr7e which is a colder spark plug than the stock hondas

I'm running a b16 block as well but a GSR head. I just bought a valve cover gasket kit for a 94 GSR... no probs... so if you're running a b16 head then just grab one from a 94/95 del sol vtec, or a 99/00 civic si (sir for canadians) and you should be gravy Just hit up your local parts store (napa, autozone, schucks or wutvr u guys have) and you should be fine. I dunno if SOHC/DOHC grommets are the same, but i dunno why they would be different