Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oil pan nut stripped??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil pan nut stripped??????

man, i changed my oil today for the first time in my since i have owned it and the threads in the oilpan are all stripped. should i tap this out a larger size and use a larger bolt or should i just get a new pan. its totally off the car right now sitting on my bench. i dont know what im going to do
Old 07-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (hamburgler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hamburgler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man, i changed my oil today for the first time in my since i have owned it and the threads in the oilpan are all stripped. should i tap this out a larger size and use a larger bolt or should i just get a new pan. its totally off the car right now sitting on my bench. i dont know what im going to do</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the same problem. I bought a new oil drain plug and hopefully it will be better. If not then I am going to have to go get a new oil pan. Try re-threading it with a tap and clean up the threads. Then get a new bolt and see if it works. It would be a real pain if you had to make the hole bigger and you would be better of with a new oil pan IMO.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for the bad news but you should just get a new pan. know if you are realy broke for cash there are some rethread putty's you can put in there. im sure they will work but if any of the putty chips off in side the oil pan you are going to have some trouble down the line.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (licenseless)

dammit, im just going to make the whole bigger
Old 07-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Farts in the shower

Take the pan off (drain the oil first) and tap the bolt, this will help in 2 ways because 1. you can work on it easier standing up than laying on your back and 2. you won't run the risk of putting those metal shaving back through your engine.

After tapping the oil pan re-thread the hole and put in your new bolt...make sure to tq it to spec and you shouldn't have any problems in the future.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (.ken)

damn, some people swear like it's the end of the world when they strip their oil pan bolt. you know how common something like that is? rethread and get on with your life
Old 07-16-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (ADVAN EG2)

i just dont want to buy a new pan.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hamburgler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just dont want to buy a new pan. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a feeling that is what I will have to do on my D15B7. The owner before me crushed the front part of it. Like it's got a big caved in section on the front side. I have been worried about oil pump damage and possible oil starvation, but it hasn't done anything yet. When I pull it for my swap I will just replace it. Sucks that it's dinted though. I will post a price for an oil pan when I go research some prices for them.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (Bond)

yea man its so stripped i cant even tap it out. could i jb weld the threads and then tap them again so i can get a nice tight locking oilpan nut?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:29 PM

my dads friend was building a 440 block and one of the header bolt holes was stripped out so he just put some JB weld in it and let it dry for a little bit and retapped it.Never had a problem with it since.Dont know if this would work for an oil pan tho
Old 07-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (reddohcvtec)

go to a parts store and they sell the rubber plug for the people who strip the bolt hole and dont want to fix it right.. the rubber plug goes into the drain hole then you turn the wingnut on the back and the rubber expands to seal the hole..

they are only like 5 bucks dude.. go buy one..
Old 07-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (konigturbocivic)

Since you are unable or willing to get a new pan and it is off the car, take the plug to a machine shop and have them braze on a nut. I have welded nuts onto pans several times and when your done the pan will tear before it ever strips again.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (moto1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moto1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since you are unable or willing to get a new pan and it is off the car, take the plug to a machine shop and have them braze on a nut. I have welded nuts onto pans several times and when your done the pan will tear before it ever strips again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

nonono, the threads in the pan are stripped, not the actual nut, i bought new nut today.

i think ill go buy one of those rubber things. i really dont want to spend any more money
Old 07-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a pan from a junkyard....

Thats what i did, did it myself in about an hour....
Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (Hatch It)

there are not too many b series pans laying around my town. very very rare
Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (Hatch It)

Weld on a nut....won't strip out ever again
Old 07-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (Evs-One)

amazing...

replace the nut, put a new crush washer on. see if it works. honda deliberatley makes the nut easier to strip than the pan. ive stripped countless nuts because they are made of soft aluminum in conrtast to the steel oilpan.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pan nut stripped?????? (Kamin)

man, the nut is fine, i bought a brand new nut. it the pan that is stripped. and im not wanting to weld the nut to the pan because they i cant change the oil
Old 07-19-2005, 11:08 AM

buy a new oil pan and hand tighten it and then.. tighten it slowly.. once its tight.. don't force it... you prolly tightened it too much...
Old 07-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr_WETTY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_WETTY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buy a new oil pan and hand tighten it and then.. tighten it slowly.. once its tight.. don't force it... you prolly tightened it too much...</TD></TR></TABLE>

or use a torque wrench at 28 lbs
Old 07-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ADVAN EG2)

your not getting me man. What i am saying is literally get a harware store nut that is the same thread pitch as your drain plug, weld said nut on where the hole is, now you have 6 new threads that will never strip.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (moto1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moto1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your not getting me man. What i am saying is literally get a harware store nut that is the same thread pitch as your drain plug, weld said nut on where the hole is, now you have 6 new threads that will never strip.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oooooooooooo, i get you now. thats even a better idea. i got a rubber plug today so im going to use that. thanks for your idea man, ill do what you said next time
Old 07-19-2005, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (hamburgler)

All of you people telling him to buy a new pan should go and die. You can tap it out and use a larger drain plug, we do it all the time at the dealership. If all else fails you can buy what is called a pan saver drain plug. They cost aobut $3 and they save you alot of money and work great.

Oh and you can do it with the pan on the vehicle.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hamburgler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man, the nut is fine, i bought a brand new nut. it the pan that is stripped. and im not wanting to weld the nut to the pan because they i cant change the oil </TD></TR></TABLE>

comprehension is key. Most "reman" pans are just a weld nut welded over the existing hole. These threads are much stronger and shouldn't ever strip. Doesn't take much to crush the crush washer- hence the name.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:39 PM

when i bought my car the oil pan was stripped, but the person i bought it from said she had a temporary drain plug put in. so im not goin to touch it til i absolutly have to. i dont feel like wasting money on a grappy stock motor.