Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil Pan Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Install Help

I have a 99 Civic Hx and I believe I need to replace the oil pan. How hard is it to replace? I am replacing it because my car is leaking oil at the drain plug. I changed the oil last week and now its leaking. I tried to replace the drain plug but that didn't help so I think the treading of the oil pan is all screwed up.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:26 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Pan Install Help

Just out of curiosity, did you replace the crush washer too? If not, that's probably where you're leaking. There should be a crush washer on the drain bolt, and you're technically supposed to change it at every oil change although most people don't.

It's not that hard. You'll want to buy a new oil pan gasket, and I think you have to take the header off to get to it.

You just remove all the bolts and it comes right off. Make sure that you clean ALL of the old gasket material off of the engine. Line up the new gasket, and put it back on.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT overtorque the bolts. They don't take a lot of torque, and they're easy to break. I think it's only like 15 ftlbs, but you'd have to check the manual.

And use a cross pattern when torquing them down like anything.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Pan Install Help

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
Just out of curiosity, did you replace the crush washer too? If not, that's probably where you're leaking. There should be a crush washer on the drain bolt, and you're technically supposed to change it at every oil change although most people don't.

It's not that hard. You'll want to buy a new oil pan gasket, and I think you have to take the header off to get to it.

You just remove all the bolts and it comes right off. Make sure that you clean ALL of the old gasket material off of the engine. Line up the new gasket, and put it back on.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT overtorque the bolts. They don't take a lot of torque, and they're easy to break. I think it's only like 15 ftlbs, but you'd have to check the manual.

And use a cross pattern when torquing them down like anything.
Thanks for the reply! As far as the crush washer, I did not have a crush washer before I replaced it with the new one. I think that was teh reason why the threading might be screwed up because I over torqued it w/o a washer. I replaced it with a new drain plug and washer and it still leaks.

I have a 99 civic hx. Will the 96-00 civic models oil pan work with my car. Will the 92-95 work as well?