Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil pan gasket leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan gasket leak?

Hi, I'm a Honda newb so bear with me. I just recently bought a 93 Hatch with a B18C5, its leaking oil quite a bit. I think I've got it isolated to the edges of the oil pan. Is there any other places it could be coming from that makes it "look like" its coming from the oil pan? I aslo looked at the area around the flywheel and it looks fairly clean, it doesnt have the dust shield on it so I think its just road grime thats around it, the actual flywheel itself is bone dry. I bought an OE oil pan gasket that I guess I'll attempt to put on tomorrow. Any info or tips would be awesome. Thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pan gasket leak?

drain your oil before you start.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hannslebo
drain your oil before you start.
lol yea, I figured that much. I'm gonna drain it in a new drain pan so I can re-use it since its brand new Mobil 1 (stuff aint cheap).
Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the (freshly scrubbed) nuts bolts that hold the pan on to secure the corners of the new gasket into position on the (freshly scrubbed) pan to let it get used to sitting properly and left it sitting on the workbench like that over night. The next day it was much easier to work with because the gasket behaved better. Make sure to put sealant on the pan at the edges/corners of the curved areas that fit over the main seal/oil pump housings. I put a little sealant around the entire inside edge of the lip because my pan lip was pretty scratched up from scraping the old gasket off (it was really glued on good).

Just make sure everything is clean. I wiped acetone on all sealing surfaces. I dipped the fasteners and cleaned them w/ acetone.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be coming from you front main seal. But you wouldn't have oil coming from arond the whole pan just the side by the timing belt.

Could also be from the valve cover gasket. There would be oil down your whole engine though.

If its just on the pan area then I'm guessing its your pan gasket. I wouldn't use any sealant either, but ask when you pick your gasket up at the parts counter at Honda. They will know.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just blew out the piece by the oil sender unit...form under the car it appeared to be coming from the oil pan...

Just get a new oil pan gasket...drain oil....take off...clean the block...tap the threads...apply hondabond to the gasket (or sealant)...apply to edges of the oil pump and rear main oil seal and torque to correct spec in sort of a circular spiral pattern
Old 12-25-2009, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to put it up on the lift today. Hopefully the oil pan gasket fixes it. It also seems like its burning oil but it might just be oil dripping on the header pipe under hard acceleration and g-forces from the oil pan. Anywho, I'll let yall know how it goes.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I put it on the lift, sprayed the ENTIRE area that was in question with brake cleaner. After a few seconds I finally saw the source...... the crankcase breather catch can. It had about 2 tubes of silicon on it from the previous owner so I should have known that was the culprit. Anywho, took that bad boy off and inspected it, found a crack on the bottom of the plug that enters the block. So we cleaned the surface of it, welded it, reinstalled the O-rings and loaded it up with some more silicon for added measure. Hopefully this is the fix. Also we noticed that the top hose running from the valve cover to the catch can wasn't even hooked up to the valve cover, so now it runs soooo much quieter and runs tonssss better. I use to cruise at 60and be running about 3300 rpms. Now when I run 60 its about 2600 rpms.