Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil loss/consumption and stalling d16

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil loss/consumption and stalling d16

Hello and greetings from germany,

so i got a del sol with an d16y8 engine, half year ago i did an full tune up and some repairs (oil change, oil filter, spark plugs, spark wires, dizzy cap n rotor, fuel filter, valve lash adjustment, timing belt, tensioner, water pump, valve cover gasket, vtec solenoid gasket, new water cooling hoses, pcv valve, air filter, cleaned tb + iacv + vtec solenoid, did all ground connections new and i checked the map and tps sensor)

the engine has 160k miles on it, runs good but i think it has some power loss, and while driving in reverse (especially when i want to park) i need to play with the gas pedal a bit and rev it up, if not it would be stalling and turn off, it also stalled out one time while the car was idling after driving..
it does smoke blue BUT not always, lets say if i drive in traffic and let it idle for 30-60 seconds on a stop or traffic light, and then accelerate fast it smokes blue, but if driving hard (redlining, high rpms, etc) it does not smoke.. i noticed that the oil is black and thinner than normal, it also smells a bit of gas, the oil change was the first thing i did, the rest of the repairs and tune up i did later (timing belt 2-3 months later, i checked the timing and it was 1 tooth off retarded and caused the engine to running rich), could this come from these things or does the engine has an blow by issue causing from the rings, or maybe from the old oil (i mean every oil change the old oil doesn't completly goes out) maybe it mixed with some leftovers and turned it black?

I know that the engine is leaking oil from the dipstick tube, but i have to refill the oil every 400miles with 1/2qt of oil, and if it's leaking that much, i think i would have oil spots on the ground where i park?
And the car also does crank longer to start, it doesn't crank slow, just normally but it takes longer for the engine to start i think, but maybe i'm just thinking it..

And when the car sat a long time (1-2months) it smoked alot for about 10 minutes than it was all fine, guess the valve seals? what do you guys think? i mean it's running good and all, but i have some idle problems and after sitting or idling and than accelerating it smokes (while driving hard with high rpms or normal it doesn't smoke)

i don't have an air compressor to check with an leak down tester, and i don't know someone who has one..

thanks to everyone, and sorry for my grammar, hope you guys understand everything.

PS: The top of the pistons have some carbon or oil build up on them and the old spark plugs were pretty fouled and had some oil ash deposits on it. No air coming out the dipstick tube. I ordered an compression tester and check the compression dry and wet, but i think it would be most likely the valve stem seals.

Last edited by smallz'; 08-23-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil loss/consumption and stalling d16

UPDATE

So the car was sitting for about 2 weeks, it got low on oil in that time for about 1/4qt (filled to max before and now on 3/4), so guess it's loosing oil somewhere. maybe dipstick tube, i cleaned the engine bay and have a look on this, but there is NO oil on the ground where i parked!!

I checked for oil smoke again, and umm, don't know but the first 15miles it smoked lightly blue when i revved past 6800rpm, but not much, after 15miles it wasn't blue anymore, it turned more and more to black lets say

0-30miles = warm up the engine (2500rpm highest) - NO SMOKE!
30-45miles = drove it and get sometimes past 6800rpm - after 6800rpm slighty BLUE SMOKE!
45-50miles = like above - BLACK SMOKE followed by just a bit BLUE SMOKE
50-65miles = like above - BLACK SMOKE (after 6800rpm)
it also misfires slighty when revving (with black smoke)

after 30 miles I pulled the spark plugs = black and dry (oil/gasoline on the piston)
after 65 miles again = black and dry but turned a bit into brown on the tip (piston is dry)

checked the "ghetto" method, and let the car idle and pulled the oil cap off, it was sucking and NOT blowing, the same on the dipstick tube!

The steering wheel also vibrates at idle, and the car has really low power below 3000rpm, after then it runs like a champ. got 130mph on it with no problems! I know i said that i think it has some power loss, but forget that. with about 125hp that car runs like a champ, but only above 2800-3000rpm.

Could it be possible that all the soot inside the cylinder's are burning? because the car run who know how long with an 1 tooth retarded timing and build up some soot because it was running really rich.
my compressions tester will arrive next week, so until then i have no clue how the rings are, but if it runs like this, the compression results shouldn't be that bad?
what i also know is that the ignition coil spring is bad, i lost the oem one and replaced it with some pen spring, because i need to drive it home, new ignition coil is ordered by honda and arrives next week too.
Aaaaaand maybe the dizzy o-ring went bad, i have seen a little oil mess under the dizzy, i ordered an new o-ring and change it.

today i drove it 70miles, and the oil doesn't dropped, oil is a bit black but i can see the brown, and that should be normal. it looks just like the oil on my friends car (oil changed the same day)

Edit: my car accelerates quicker then a friends del sol with the same engine, had a look on youtube and it seems to be running and accelerating just fine like it should, maybe even quicker.

So i guess i am just losing the oil and need to replace some gaskets? i also did the "valve stem seal test" (downhill and first start) no smoke while doing this, and i heard that slighty puff of smoke during redlining should be "ok". I guess the rings aren't that good anymore, but the main problem where all the oil goes is because of an leak (or more), valve cover is not leaking, neither oil filter or the washer on the oil pan. the dizzy is a bit black and sooty under it, and the vtec solenoid is also black n sooty (I'll replace the seals soon) and i think my oil pan gasket is also leaking, but i don't know if it's coming from the top anywhere causing oil on the oil pan so i will do dizzy and vtec solenoid first.

Last edited by smallz'; 08-25-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the ignition coil in my car after chasing a similar hesitation issue. Car would occasionally stall, especially when hot but would start right back up and had bogging and hesitation below 3k rpm but would run like a champ after 3k. I pulled the coil out of the dizzy and found it had shorted out on the heat shield, replaced it and my car hasn't skipped a beat since. My car also burns a lot of oil (180k D16y8) I have to put in about a quart a week.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to know, so i guess the hesitation and powerloss below 3k rpm is from the ignition coil.

Hopefully the compression test turns out ok and it's just some gaskets..

Yeah I know how that is, but i don't know, in my car the oil consumption is a bit mysterious, one day I drive 200-300miles - no consumption, and the other day 1/2 qt after 100miles, and sometimes oil goes away when the car sit.. I hope that it will be the gaskets, because it is loosing oil while parking and just not only when driving. I am also moving away in 1 1/2 months, and then i have no garage or else! So if the rings are shot, i am not able to rebuild the engine (or re ring). Let's hope for the best.

But why are the Spark plugs black and dry? and after driving some more miles it turned to "white-ish" on the tip.. Oh man, guess i'll have to wait till' the compression tester arrives. But the engine is going strong, wouldn't be low compression noticeable? lack of power, etc? what i know that the valve stem seals are good. So if its not leaking its prob burn it due the rings..
Old 08-25-2018, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine oil can burn just as quickly as it can leak, and often this is the case. If you are using your rear view mirror to look for smoke out the tailpipe, please know that it’s not a great method. Firstly, your mirror reflects what you see above your trunk/hatch. That’s about 2 feet, give or take, away from your actual tailpipe. Secondly, when driving, the faster you go, the velocity of the air streaming past your car is increased and this air will often mix with and dissipate any smoke before it becomes visible....

You seem to have checked multiple times for an oil leak and have found none. Oil could possibly be leaking only while the engine is under load. A dead give away for this would be oily suspension parts. Let’s assume though that your car is not leaking, and is indeed burning oil.....

what are the ways in which oil can be lost substantially due to burning? It’s got to be one,
or perhaps a combination of the following issues.

-worn piston rings
-worn valve stem seals
-pcv valve
-compromised head gasket
-cam holder seals
(on non vtec heads there is possibility of oil seeping past the cam holder seals and entering the combustion chamber via the spark plug threads. A dead give away is oil on TOP of the spark plugs. Not applicable for vtec d series heads due to spark plug tube design.)

If you want a quick way to see if you might be losing oil due to piston rings, buy a can of Engine Restore. It’s available at most major auto parts stores and Walmart. It comes in a silver can and it’s cheap, like $7.99. If it’s your rings, and you are having serious blow by, this product will temporarily decrease the blow by substantially, lowering oil consumption, while increasing your compression to spec levels, and also felt acceleration as a result. If you use this product and don’t see/feel any noticeable difference in oil loss or performance, I doubt your rings are to blame. At least they are not 100% to blame.

if rings are out of the equation, then you should check the pcv valve. Check the tube connections
on the head and intake. Are they very oily? Check the intake tubing between the throttle plate and the pcv connection. Check the throttle plate itself and see if you can shine some light into the manifold. Is oil residue caked up in any of these areas? If so, you have too much oil entering your intake
system which then exists the tail pipe after being combusted.

valve seals and head gasket are difficult to check.... if you believe it to be either of these, you’ll need to get ready to do some work. There’s really no way to “check” the head gasket, you’ll just have to replace it. Valve seals can be “checked” I guess but I’m not sure how well very old valve seals will respond to being removed and reinstalled. They’re pretty cheap to buy, but anpain to install being that there’s 16 of them.

on a side note, you mentioned improper timing and a very rich running condition, as well as possible
soot buildup burning off, all I can say is get your timing right..... And if you think your engine is internally dirty, try putting some sea foam into the gas tank, and a little in the crankcase and run it for like 500 miles then change the oil. It should get things nice and tidy inside of there.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional mechanic nor do I pretend to be one. The advice given here should be used at your own discretion.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the timing was wrong, 1 tooth to retarded and i don't know how long the previous owner drove it like this, but there is much build up on the top of the pistons. I changed the timing belt and set the timing right, so could the old "soot" burn away and causing the black smoke and black spark plugs?

About that restore thing, i think i will wait till monday and check the compressions, then i know how (or if) bad the rings are.

I already changed the pcv valve, and cleaned the tb, there was some oil in it but not much, almost clean. But the intake mani was a bit dirty...

i do know that the dipstick tube isn't sealing alright but i do not know if the gaskets for the vtec solenoid / dizzy are good. But the dipstick tube is the nearest to the oil pan, so if this isn't sealing, it would cause much oil loss, right?

i think i am gonna have to wait till monday. Or is something that i could check out/do? Maybe i drive it a while tomorrow and check all gaskets (cleaned engine today) if there is any oil leak, because under the dizzy and vtec solenoid it was all black and sooty. Still hoping that it's gaskets or just valve stem seals, but again, no smoke on cold start today and no smoke during the downhill test, so i am guessing f not the gaskets = rings.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay. Well if your dipstick is not sealing, I guess it could leak oil but it would probably only do it under load/ high revs and this oil would probably drip onto your down pipe and get burnt up..... I currently have an integra that leaks oil from the pan gasket and this mostly drips onto the downpipe producing visible smoke coming from the front of the car at stop lights.

i doubt you’d lose much oil through the distributor without seeing it on the ground.

if you do your compression test, and it’s low.... this could be from worn piston rings, or valves that aren’t completely closing....they could be clogged with buildup. If I were you, regardless of the compression test, I would definitely run some seafoam through the fuel system and the crankshaft to clean things up.... you could even drip a little directly into the combustion chambers through the spark plug holes and let it sit overnight.... then change that oil out and put in some engine restore with like some rotella T5 5w40 And run that for a while. See how it feels, and see if consumption goes down. It’s a cheap way of narrowing the field of possibilities.

If your valves and and rings and all that seems fine and you’re still losing oil, (you said you lose oil even when it’s parked?), I’d have to think that maybe you’ve got a breach in the head gasket that’s allowing oil to seep into the combustion chamber. I’ve never seen this actually happen but I’ve heard that it’s possible.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But the D16Y8 engine has the dipstick tube on the right side, not where the exhaust manifold is like on the d16z6 so ot wouldn't burn. It's near the timingbelt, and i know that i am loosing oil there (can see it, 100%)

Yeah, thought about that too, maybe its the valves sticking an not closing because of some build up.

We will see on Monday how the conpressions are.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, i don't get it.. So untill today the oil was on the same level than yesterday, i drove to my garage - still same level. Now comes an part what i don't get!!!! I drove the car 3meters in the garage, leave it for 30minutes and did other things. SO I CHECKED THE OIL!!! IT WAS LOWER THAN MINIMUM!!! I DON'T GET IT, HOW IS IT ****** POSSIBLE THAT THE OIL DROPS ABOUT 1 QT AFTER DRIVING 3 METERS AND NOTHING WHEN DRIVING LIKE 150 MILES??? The underground is even!

Okay so much to the mysterious oil consum / loss. Now to the spark plugs, i pulled them out again and they were black and dry but more white on the tip now then yesterday. I smelled on the Plugs - fuel! I even smelled at my engine where the plugs come in (don't know the american word, sorry) and def FUEL! So I had an friend of mine watch the back of the car when revving, he said first a slighty blue smoke (just on the first try, not on the second one) and than thick black smoke and backfire.

The engine is stock, just an SRI and aftermarket exhaust. But guess it's def running rich.

So what would causing the mysterious oil loss? I checked the "ghetto" method - Oil cap is sucking no air comes out, no water in the oil, no oil in the coolant, no bubbles when engine is running. No CEL.
The powerloss under 3k rpm is because of the ign coil, just put an friends one in and problems went away, maybe the ign coil is causing that the car runs rich?
Downhill test and cold start - no smoke

I know that these Methods are not professional, but it seems that the Valve stem seals are good, and because of the oil filler cap "sucking" rings seems also to be fine? Maybe Valve seats?
I mean, my friend had an bmw with compression about 45psi on one cylinder, it run "bad" but the oil consumption was not that much or "mysterious", and it blew blue smoke all the time.
Also do I think that my exhaust could be clogged a bit, friend of mine with an 1.3l engine has much more back pressure coming out of the exhaust.

So 2 problems -
burning/loosing oil mysterious - maybe valve seats?
running rich - maybe ign coil?

This car driving me crazy.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing to consider, is maybe you’re not losing the oil, maybe it’s just not getting back into the oil pan as it should. How quickly did you check the level after shutting the engine off? I think the dipstick measures about 2 quarts of oil, so if you were 2 quarts short, the oil would barely register on the tip of the stick. Also did you do the compression test? Perhaps you have clogged oil passageways in the head... idk you stumped me. You should take my advice and run the seafoam, hen run the engine restore and get back to us. It will cost you almost nothing, and I almost guarantee your engine will run differently, maybe better....

What the problem is though? No way to find out for sure short of tearing your engine apart...
Old 08-26-2018, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked after about 10-20 minutes after shutting it off. but i checked tomorrow and the oil was on max.

I read about that the dipstick measures about 1 qt of oil?

No i did not the compression test, i have to wait till the tester arrives, and in germany you can't buy seafoam. maybe online and import it from USA or something, also we don't have "engine restore" just some cleaner for the injectors, valves, etc.. I don't know if it's ilegal to seafoam a car in germany, because of all the smoke..

Maybe an Picture of my Spark Plugs will help? I also do have oil on the theards of the plug in 1 cylinder. Should I be able to stick something through the oil passageways in the head? Or how can i check it? I mean there is one directly where the oil cap is, so i could be able to check that one without taking the valve cover off?

Thanks for your help.

PS: If the oil passageways were blocked, would the oil rise on the dipstick measurement? If I fill new Oil in it, it rises after 10 seconds.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by smallz'
I checked after about 10-20 minutes after shutting it off. but i checked tomorrow and the oil was on max.

Not understanding this response. You checked it today and oil was at max without adding more oil? If so, yeah, your oil is not returning to the sump in good time. This is a potentially dissasterous condition that will lead to more and more wearing of the piston rings and potentially the bearings themselves.

i might be wrong, but I think it’s one quart between the lower mark and the upper mark. It’s another quart between the lower mark and the tip of the stick.

No i did not the compression test, i have to wait till the tester arrives, and in germany you can't buy seafoam. maybe online and import it from USA or something, also we don't have "engine restore" just some cleaner for the injectors, valves, etc.. I don't know if it's ilegal to seafoam a car in germany, because of all the smoke..

i would imagine its the composition of the products, not the result of using them that makes it illegal. Restore has lead in it so.....

Maybe an Picture of my Spark Plugs will help? I also do have oil on the theards of the plug in 1 cylinder. Should I be able to stick something through the oil passageways in the head? Or how can i check it? I mean there is one directly where the oil cap is, so i could be able to check that one without taking the valve cover off?

Im not an expert at reading plugs. If you have oil on your threads, and you have a non-vtec engine, then you need to replace the cam holder seals. and if you have a vtec head, I don’t know what that means. You can definitely stick something through the oil passages, the blockage, if there is one, could even be in the block so.... good luck with that. You will need to remove the valve cover to access all the passages.

Thanks for your help.

PS: If the oil passageways were blocked, would the oil rise on the dipstick measurement? If I fill new Oil in it, it rises after 10 seconds.

Well, when the engine is at rest and you add oil, it flows down through the main return passage near the fill cap right into the oil pan. But when the engine is running, the pump sucks the oil through the pickup and the oil is supposed to be distributed throughout the head and block. And it returns through more than one passageway... there’s a lot of areas where oil could get stuck....
Old 08-26-2018, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not understanding this response. You checked it today and oil was at max without adding more oil? If so, yeah, your oil is not returning to the sump in good time. This is a potentially dissasterous condition that will lead to more and more wearing of the piston rings and potentially the bearings themselves.
i might be wrong, but I think it’s one quart between the lower mark and the upper mark. It’s another quart between the lower mark and the tip of the stick.
i would imagine its the composition of the products, not the result of using them that makes it illegal. Restore has lead in it so.....
Im not an expert at reading plugs. If you have oil on your threads, and you have a non-vtec engine, then you need to replace the cam holder seals. and if you have a vtec head, I don’t know what that means. You can definitely stick something through the oil passages, the blockage, if there is one, could even be in the block so.... good luck with that. You will need to remove the valve cover to access all the passages.
Thanks for your help.

Well, when the engine is at rest and you add oil, it flows down through the main return passage near the fill cap right into the oil pan. But when the engine is running, the pump sucks the oil through the pickup and the oil is supposed to be distributed throughout the head and block. And it returns through more than one passageway... there’s a lot of areas where oil could get stuck....

I’m beginning to enter the realm of pure speculation at this point. I do believe you are in need of an engine tear down. You should at least take the head and oil pan off the block and inspect. The head should probably be sent off to the the machine shop for a good hot tank bath and pressure check. The block needs to be blasted with some solvents if there is sludge buildup... I think if you do this, you may end up with a properly running engine, or you may realize you need a new engine/rebuild.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:27 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

To properly check fluids after a drive, just wait an hr. I'm sure its overkill but still. I'm sure the fluid is not as thick as when its cold and should flow back to the oil pan within 30 minutes but its going to confirm that you still have proper oil level. What you'll need to look at afterwards is whats clogging oil passageways.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, it's a bit hard to explain something in an other language.
Like I said, I checked the Oil this morning and not tomorrow, got something wrong my bad (it's 11:45 PM in germany).
The Oil was on MAX this morning (10am), after driving to my garage (about 2-3miles) i checked it again after leaving the car off for about 20 minutes, it was still on MAX, then I drove in the Garage, waited 20 minutes again and the Oil was on MIN. (With max and min I mean lower and upper mark, sorry) Oil was never that low and under the lower mark.

We have some Liqui Moly cleaners here, maybe I give them a try, but you put them into your gasoline and not in the oil, is it worth it?

It's an VTEC engine, I cleaned the theards and the plugs from oil and watch them again when i do the compression test.

If the passages are clogged, how could I clean them? with an stick and pull all the dirt out? Or run some cleaner or something in it?

I have also read that it could be stuck oil rings, should i pour some ATF in the Cylinders and let them soak overnight or fill an half qt atf in the normal oil? (I read that this should work in long term)
Yeah, i will check the compressions first, and if the result is bad = worn rings. I will either buying an used engine or rebuild this one. but if it's just the head (valves) it's not that bad / expensive and i'll just pull the head and have an mechanic do an head rebuild.

And I've waited 20 minutes to check the oil (when it was low) but i didn't filled up the oil, i waited an hour and did some work, checked the oil again and it still was low. Basically, this morning = Max (Car stand overnight), drove to the garage 2miles, checked oil and low. I don't think it was burning 1qt in 2 miles without any smoke and not above 2.5k rpm.. I just don't get it anymore, if it was smoking blue all the time or just after sitting for a long time, it would be clear. But I don't know, when the car sat for months and the first start it was also smoking blue for minutes and than nothing anymore.

I run the compression test, and see if the rings or valves are bad. if both turns out to be good, it could only be clogged oil passages, an leak, valve stem seals or bad/stuck oil control rings, right?

So if the compression test have the result that
the rings are bad - maybe some cleaner if it's not helping = used engine / rebuild
valves are bad - rebuild the head
it's all good - check the seals again, check the oil passages, use some atf to unseize oil control rings (if it's not helping, same as the rings, replace/rebuild engine), replace the valve stem seals.

PS: Would the engine run that strong with bad rings / valves? I just drove an 105hp Volkswagen and it was laaame, thought i just driving an 60hp car or something compared with mine (125hp) the car is running smooth and pulls strong. Just some gas smell and backfiring when hitting redline (N/A no turbo).
I also had some black soot all over my rear bumper before i did the timing belt (it was 1 tooth retarded) but since it's good now, no black soot. I could make an video of the exhaust when i rev the car, maybe this would help?
Old 08-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

not worth it when it comes to finding out why your oil is low. When you check your oil is it on level ground? Another thing to consider
Old 08-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Typically, there’s nothing to rebuild in the head... the only thing that can really get damaged is the valves by bending, chipping, cracking etc. or the cam can get damaged from low oil pressures, that is called cam wiping... the head can be removed and sent to a shop to be soaked in a hot bath of solvents and come back shiny and new-ish. when you say “engine rebuild” it’s typically meaning the lower end.... Piston rings, rod bearings, and main bearings.

A compression test alone will not tell you whether you have worn rings or leaky valves, or a combination of the two. You’ll only know that compression fine or out of spec, and you’ll know whether it’s one, two, three, or all cylinders that are low and by how much. If you’ve got low compression on all four cylinders but they’re within 10psi of each other, then this is just normal wear and your engine is old lol, look to the rings to be bad. If you have one or two cylinders that are Drastically lower than the others, then this means the problem is localized and you need to look into why those cylinders have no compression.... you need to remove the head to properly do this...

If if you want a less painful way of going about this, I would leave the engine that’s in there alone and I would buy a really cheap old engine and have your mechanic or yourself rebuild it to spec and just swap it in. You could tear down the engine that’s giving you problems just for curiosity. And hang onto it for the spare parts Incase you need them down the road.

if if you want to clean up your engine using over the counter liquid products, then you need to add one product to the FUEL to clean the INSIDE of the combustion chambers, and another product to the OIL to clean OUTSIDE of the combustion chambers.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, it's on level ground every time.

I also thought about buying another engine for a couple of dollars and just rebuild it and then swap it in. Because it's my DD and if the rings or pistons or something are shot, it would be a repair that takes long time. If it would be something in the head like valves or stem seals, it wouldn't be that bad.

But i thought if i do an dry test followed by an wet test, and the results rises = worn/bad rings
if just low compression and nothing rises during the wet test = valves
1 out of spec = bad cylinder ? (rings, etc)

But if 1 cylinder is bad, wouldn't I notice this when pulling the spark plug wires on that cylinder? because I did the test and on every pulled wire the idle drops the same amount of rpm.

But this is just an "ghetto" method i think, like checking if the oil cap is sucking/blowing, etc..

An to the cleaners, there are likely more than just one product, which one do i use? thought about the valve cleaner for the fuel, the other one available is an injector cleaner.
For the oil I have found an cleaner wich called "Engineflush".

Edit: just found an d16y8 with 115.000miles for 170$, no oil/water consumption. but i don't know, i don't trust used engines. lol maybe for an rebuild, it's damn cheap for 170$
Old 08-26-2018, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You lost me on wet and dry testing.... I don’t know what that is.

Pulling plug wires to see how the engine responds is for locating misfires not compression.

$170 for head and block? Sounds like a good deal. Is the engine sealed or open?
Old 08-26-2018, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dry = just normal compression test
Wet = with 1 teaspoon of oil in the cylinder

Yeah it's sealed. but i don't know, maybe i am going to put an b-series in it if i change the engine anyway. But i'll first do the compression test and have a look on the results. when i looked into the spark plug holes with the flash light, the cylinder walls haven't looked that bad. Just like 160k miles old cylinder walls look like. but i have seen some oil/gas on top of the pistons and after running the engine hard and pulling the plugs out, it kinda smoked out of the tubes from the cylinder.

wouldn't oil on top of the piston mean that something on the head (valves, stem seals, or something) are bad? or is there an other way that oil is on top of the piston? Maybe the 1 tooth to retarded caused the engine to build up some carbon on the valves, and these are not closing fully anymore? could that be possible?
Old 08-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dry = just normal compression test
Wet = with 1 teaspoon of oil in the cylinder

Yeah it's sealed. but i don't know, maybe i am going to put an b-series in it if i change the engine anyway. But i'll first do the compression test and have a look on the results. when i looked into the spark plug holes with the flash light, the cylinder walls haven't looked that bad. Just like 160k miles old cylinder walls look like. but i have seen some oil/gas on top of the pistons and after running the engine hard and pulling the plugs out, it kinda smoked out of the tubes from the cylinder.

wouldn't oil on top of the piston mean that something on the head (valves, stem seals, or something) are bad? or is there an other way that oil is on top of the piston? Maybe the 1 tooth to retarded caused the engine to build up some carbon on the valves, and these are not closing fully anymore? could that be possible?
carbon buildup on the valves is very possible. But if your compression was that low, you’d feel the loss in power. Oil on top of the piston?.....you said you have oil in the spark plug threads too so I don’t know....If your heart is set on a new engine but this one is running strong, don’t over think it, just drive it till it stops running.... and save up that repair money to buy a new engine.... ****, if this engine runs long enough, and you keep saving, maybe you could buy a nice German car! Lol jk.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Free Man

carbon buildup on the valves is very possible. But if your compression was that low, you’d feel the loss in power. Oil on top of the piston?.....you said you have oil in the spark plug threads too so I don’t know....If your heart is set on a new engine but this one is running strong, don’t over think it, just drive it till it stops running.... and save up that repair money to buy a new engine.... ****, if this engine runs long enough, and you keep saving, maybe you could buy a nice German car! Lol jk.
Hmm, i don't know, i also read that an burnt / bad valve would cause that the back pressure of the exhaust would also be low. But I do know more after the compression results.

Had two german cars, BMW 328i E46, Mercedes w203 c200. I would never ever buy an BMW/Mercedes again, even with the "mysterious" oil consumption, i'd rather drive an honda/nissan/subaru.

But would carbon build up on valves causing oil to burn?
Old 08-26-2018, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you Take the valve cover off of your engine and look INSIDE one of the valve springs and you’ll see a valve stem. This stem is exposed to oil that flows through the valve train. If you get a flashlight and shine it at the very bottom of one of the spring seats and you use a magnifying glass or something you can just see the valve stem seal sitting inside of each spring. This seal is like a tiny rubber bowl flipped upside down, with a hole cut into it, just big enough for that valve stem to fit through. The actual sealing action comes from a super tiny donut shaped spring that’s molded around these tiny holes. This spring squeezes the rubber in on the seal reducing the clearance to a point that’s just too tight for viscous oil to penetrate......

bear with me.......

........over time, friction, dirt, heat, oxidation, and other forces can cause the integrity of these valve stem seals to deteriorate resulting in a loosening of that tiny spring and a slackening of the stiffness of the rubber moulding. This creates an enlarged clearance between the seal and the valve stem. Now oil can penetrate this space and leak down the valve stem on both the intake and exhaust sides, and this oil now partakes in all four of the engine strokes. Oil is coming in on the intake stroke and crudely homogonizes with the air fuel charge. this tiny atomized oil then gets compressed as well. (It’s my thought that this little oil probably increases dynamic compression?) on the ignition stroke, the poorly and unevenly dispersed oil burns and sticks to the chambers. Then on the exhaust stroke more oil flows in and gets baked onto the valves and this oil is now bubbling and burning and getting blasted out the exhaust, causing infamous blue smoke....

......this oil also can form into very hard deposits.!hard enough to cause a valve not to close... again this would result in compression loss on that cylinder. But actually this would probably only happen if the oil was allowed to get low enough to case the oil to really dry and fry and get hard. If you have this condition and oil is kept up and is constantly flowing into the cylinder, the oil just keeps flowing and burning, and this engine will run for a long time....

Old 08-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like your Engine was abused by the previous owner and now it has a chronic condition that needs to be treated with fuel and oil additives. Add a couple ounces of some type of ethyl to your gas. Can you get Lucas fuel cleaner? Use that. Can you get marvel mystery oil?
Old 08-27-2018, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, today i checked the oil again, was the same amount in it. pulled spark plugs and had a look into the cylinders. 1 & 4 is dirty and with much build up on the piston tops while 2&3 are clean and have oil/fuel on top of them. Made an video while i was revving, and i see some blue smoke, but after driving a couple minutes, and revving again there was no blue smoke anymore.. pulled the spark plugs again 2&3 - black build up while 2 was a bit "glossy". 1&4 - normal.

while revving there was some black soot coming out the exhaust again, i don't know but i don't think that it's oil, doesn't smell like oil and after an day raining it's away from the ground, also it's really thin, like water with some carbon build up or something, don't know the last 2 days it was cold and raining here, maybe it's because of that.

compression tester has arrived, after work i'll check the compression's in each cylinder. Dry and wet. Let's hope for the best, lol.

and yeah, i think so too. The previous owners abused the engine, the car is pretty clean, and every previous owner was older than 30 so i don't think any of them over revved it or was hitting the redline every shift. I think some previous owner missed some oil changes or ran low on oil or something, never warm up the engine, etc...

135 min, 180 good 210 max, no differences higher than 10%, right?

Quick Reply: Oil loss/consumption and stalling d16