Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil light flickering at times....where is my oil????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light flickering at times....where is my oil????

I had an oil change and tuneup about 1k miles ago, my civic dx 96 hatch stock w/ 115k miles now....oil was changed 1k ago. everything was running fine till the oil light came on at certain turns or angles i would come to on the road....i checked the dipstick for how much oil i had and low and behold i had neary any oil in the car.....i put in a quart right now so i can still drive....but where the hell did all my oil go? why did it use it up so fast......im worried.....

i checked the exhaust for smoke nothing.....although when i take a tissue i do get reminents of black powder..... no oil leaks.....i did search for oil pressure problems but nothing came up with losing oil so fast....

help

Modified by crazycaucazian86 at 6:09 PM 6/21/2006
Old 06-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil light flickering at times....where is my oil???? (crazycaucazian86)

hhmmm...weird, i would think, where ever you went to do the oil change, they didn't put the proper amount of oil. if you were burning that much oil, you would see it out of the muffler. as for the black on the tissue, thats normal.

white smoke = oil burning.
blueish/gray smoke = coolant
black smoke = gas(usually running alittle rich)
Old 06-21-2006, 10:42 AM
I Deliver

Default Re: Oil light flickering at times....where is my oil???? (crazycaucazian86)

check your oil plug and oil filter for leaks. Sometimes when someone else changes your oil the forget to tighten things right. I had my oil changed at jiffy lube ONCE in my A4 and they forgot to put the gasket on the oil filter and my engine seized within 5 minutes. But i got a free engine out of the deal.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea mine does this as well. i do an oil change then less than a week later i have less than half on the dip stick. i top it up and it stays good for 2- 3 weeks. then it needs more. plugs dont show im burning oil.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil light flickering at times....where is my oil???? (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hhmmm...weird, i would think, where ever you went to do the oil change, they didn't put the proper amount of oil. if you were burning that much oil, you would see it out of the muffler. as for the black on the tissue, thats normal.

white smoke = oil burning.
blueish/gray smoke = coolant
black smoke = gas(usually running alittle rich)</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to step away from your car and not give any wrong information to anybody on here please. Go read some books on why cars smoke or something and the proper colors, until then GTFO

To the OP, your valve guides are probably gone, the causes of this can be many... but I've seen that happen.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah ur color schemes are a bit messed up O.o

at OP:
I Hear the civic engine burns a lil oil in the VTEC crossover, that usually the engine's a quart low by 3k oil change -- I would change my oil, make sure the proper ammount is in, and check it periodically to see if it's leaking out or what, and obviously if it's smoking there's something wrong..
Old 06-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil light flickering at times....where is my oil???? (fast95eg8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast95eg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You need to step away from your car and not give any wrong information to anybody on here please. Go read some books on why cars smoke or something and the proper colors, until then GTFO

To the OP, your valve guides are probably gone, the causes of this can be many... but I've seen that happen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

GTFO? who the fu*k are you? you know so i made alittle mix up with my colors. nothing big enough to have a titty attack! you could of corrected me and that's all, real simple dumbass.
i guess that explains why your post percentage is at 98. maybe we should call the web site "fast95eg8-tech.com".