Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil Light flickering, Car Cutting ofF, ETC.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Light flickering, Car Cutting ofF, ETC.

I've been using the Search button and checking around some threads and I haven't read any Post with the same exact issue as mines so i'll post what my cars doing.

I start the car it runs fine. I drive for about 5 to 10 minutes and come to a complete stop. I pull off again in 1st the oil light flickers then stops and only does it again whenever I hit a quick left or right turn. When I come to a fast stop the car stutters and sometimes cuts off. Sometimes when I parallel park fast It cuts off when turning my wheel to park straight.

At this point I've either got the shittiest motor that's unfixable or there's something that can be fixed.

I've been putting a half a quart of oil every few days and it cures the light for about a day or two then it comes back.

From thread's I've been reading I've seen this problem labeled as a bearing issues. I'm a bit in denial about that because I've bought 4 motors this year all Duds and I refuse to believe I could have this bad of luck. I've personally only driven this motor for 3 months. I haven't had to have it oil changed yet.

With the information provided are any of you guys able to conjure up what the issue is or could be.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Light flickering, Car Cutting ofF, ETC.

Wow thats terrible that your going thru that much oil. Do you know if its leaking out or if your just burning it? Its obvious that the oil light is caused by the low oil levels, especially from abrupt stops/turns/braking. Not sure what could be causing it to just cut off unless the motor is seizing from lacking the lubrication it needs.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

usually when the oil light is on or whatever, it means that there's a drop in oil pressure. Most ppl think it comes on because you need to add oil (most times you still need to add it) but the true reason for the oil light is because oil pressure dropped
Old 05-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what up bro! Man, that sucks, I remember when you where putting in this motor... what a pain in the ***!

How much oil are you actually going through that you keep having to add some? is it getting dropped on the ground or just burning it up??

you try unpluging the oil pressure sensor and make sure the light stays off. that way you can rule out a problem with the cluster.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was having this same problem, and it was a main bearing issue, there was too much clearance to hold pressure against the crank but not enough to spin the bearing and then can cause your car to shut down for rapid drop in oil pressure
Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsol92
I was having this same problem, and it was a main bearing issue, there was too much clearance to hold pressure against the crank but not enough to spin the bearing and then can cause your car to shut down for rapid drop in oil pressure
oh damn... bro, its probably the last thing you want to hear right now.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can it be that your oil pump is shitting the bed? Maybe oil pressure sending unit?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lunareg
oh damn... bro, its probably the last thing you want to hear right now.
Yeah it pissed me off so I blew it up and I'm just gonna get another motor today
Old 05-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank all you guys for your persistence in helping me out. Although this may be the last thing i want to hear I need to face reality. Reality of it is I need a new car. Throwing so much Dough into one stock car takes it's toll. Im thinking about getting a 03 WRX....now. I keep putting oil in it and I'm worried I may just be over shooting it.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lunareg
what up bro! Man, that sucks, I remember when you where putting in this motor... what a pain in the ***!

How much oil are you actually going through that you keep having to add some? is it getting dropped on the ground or just burning it up??

you try unplugging the oil pressure sensor and make sure the light stays off. that way you can rule out a problem with the cluster.
Illa-Noize! What's up my man. It's been a while. I honestly can't say I've tried unplugging the Sensor. I'll wait til it cools down out to get under the car and do that. I Don't think i can reach it from the top.

Thanks for the words my man.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by foo fighters
Can it be that your oil pump is shitting the bed? Maybe oil pressure sending unit?
I'm really hoping it's one of the two my friend, trust.