Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil leaking from headgasket, overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaking from headgasket, overheating

Hey, I just replaced the headgasket with a D16z6 headgasket. I have the mini me swap, and when i put my head under the intake manifold (i was waaay under the car, lol) my friend started the car and i watched oil pretty much pour from the oil drain holes between the head and block. What could be causing the headgasket to not seal correctly? I don't know, i said, so i changed it again, and its not leaking oil as badly, a few drops every minute, so i rodded the car around for like 15 minutes, and it started overheating. so i romped on the gas and it stopped overheating? also, my idles is all messed up, it unnecessarily revs from 750 to 1250 or so... its like its counting... Ooone... TWWoooo.... THHreeee... heh. it revs like that every second, vtec doesn't kick in as well (i originally took the head off to take the oil control jet out because my vtec wasn't kicking in, so thats out now.) hmm what could be causing the head not to seal correctly? yay i decided to reuse the headbolts also
Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Oil leaking from headgasket, overheating (apexrift)

Did you let the head cool long enough before you took it off the block? If not you may have warped the head. Due to heat the head is made of aluinum so if its hot or even some what warm and is taken off a flat surface it will lose its shape. Therefore the head might be warped or even the block. I would suggest you take the head off and check it with something flat that you now is a flat surface because even the slitest bump may not seal. Also double check the torque specs on the headbolts to see if you have them tight enough.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Oil leaking from headgasket, overheating (TylerH)

crap. we took it off when it was still hot to the touch. ill check that **** in the morning though. any ideas why vtec won't kick in? my car is an auto-manual swap, so im not sure if that affects it at all (being in park all the time, and all)
Old 01-26-2005, 12:05 AM

How vtec works is that the is a spoll kinda like a turbo and the spoll works off of oil to make it move the it builds pressure like a turbo and the locks the rocker arms in place so that the vtec lobe and be used on the camshaft. If your leaking oil you may not have enough oil pressure to engage vtec all the way or fast enough.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Oil leaking from headgasket, overheating (TylerH)

ah. well, i really hope my head isn't warped. maybe i'll have to pull it into the garage now, at 208am to peep it because im curious. this is the weakest sauce.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:02 AM

well i've successfully woken my parents up with my exhaust pulling my car in. it looks like ill have to wait until they go back to sleep to peep it out. anybody else have any suggestions? ill be here all night, folks
Old 01-28-2005, 11:04 AM

well i put a new headgasket on that bitch and fixed the oil problem, but it still overheats when i drive it hard. not low on coolant, same amount everytime i check it, clean green color, oil is fine, waterpump causing overheating?