Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oil leak from head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak from head gasket

sup guys

I have a small oil leak coming from the headgasket. It's under the vtec solenoid, right where head, block and tranny meet, towards the front of the car, right at that side/corner. Anyways it leaks about a few drops of oil each drive (bout 10-15 mins long). I put some high temp gasket maker/sealant over it hoping it would stop the leak, no dice. It goes right through the gasket sealant and leaks. I checked for compression and all came out very good. 200 205 205 210. Plugs have white residue on it (running lean w/ JRSC). There is no oil in the coolant and no coolant in oil I checked for bubbles by removing the radiator cap and letting the car warm. After it warmed up about 1 bubble comes out every 5-6 seconds, but stopped doing it after a few mins.

So my question is, is it ok to drive the car as it is? Is this really a big problem or should I just leave it as is. Maybe its just a freak leak or something lol. The car drives perfectly fine (needs dyno time, hondata on order). Should I try to retorque the headbolts? Or should I get a new headgasket? Or should I even bother? What do you guys think?

Also, my temp gauge fluctuates. Before I put the sealant in, it would stay relatively in the cold zone, even after driving for a while. Once I put the sealant on it goes almost all the way to almost halfway, but takes a tad longer to get there. Hmm, would this have anything to do with the leak? I still have to swap out the thermostat and check that sensor under the dizzy. Maybe thats it. Any inputs guys?

BTW, this is a 1st gen b16 w/ JRSC. converted to obd2. stock motor and it was automatic before. i fucked up the A2 (doing rebuild).
Old 03-18-2003, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: oil leak from head gasket (THE PLAYER)

Sounds like excessive blowby.

An easy cure would be to make sure your valve cover is vented. You can also bypass the PCV and dump it directly into a catch can without the PCV valve.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil leak from head gasket (tonyXcom)

i see. I will look into that.

bump
Old 03-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*bumpie
Old 03-19-2003, 02:41 PM
New User

Hey mine is doing the same thing,and everything other then my temp gauge will go higher it warms up fine and everything,but after driving it for a while i have to a near by highway and get on it through 1st through 4th and then it goes right back down with my fan on all the time because i had to hard wire it in because the fan relay or the computer is going out.IM me when you find out exactly what is going on.thanks,or i will do the same when i find out.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil leak from head gasket (Civic4doors)

if the engine is running fine, there is prolly not a leak at the head gasket. it is most likely a cam seal. honda engines rarely leak oil from there before they would leak coolant. and if you did have a leak in the head gasket a comp test would come up horrible, along with the engine running like complete ***.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:48 PM

Default Re: oil leak from head gasket (1slowcivic)

hadd and still have the same problem its the cam seal like the guy from upstairs said gonna fix mine by buying new one or bond it ... any good sealents for this kinda of job.....
Old 03-19-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Re: oil leak from head gasket (Lysawy)

The reason you get oil where head and block meet b/c it drips from cam seal next to vtec solenoid
Old 03-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil leak from head gasket (Lysawy)

sorry for the confusion...

it's not dripping from the vtec solenoid area, I meant that the leak is coming from where the head, block and tranny meet, towards the front of the car on the passenger side. Check out this link:

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c...s/dsc00052.jpg

not my motor but for reference, you can see the top of the block right there, u know above the engine ID. That's where it's leakin. Darn it I wish I had photoshop right now so I can circle the area in question.

I will double check on the cam seal though.

bumpie

[Modified by THE PLAYER, 2:18 AM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You CAN leak oil from the head gasket without leaking coolant or having a shitty running motor.

with the head off of the block, I am sure yuo have seen the oil runners where oil that lubricated the head falls back down to the pan. Well this oil "waterfalls" over every surface of the inside of the motor.

The blowby created in the motor creates pulses of pressure that push this hot oil (which already has a strong capilary tendency to follow cracks and creveses) gets pushed out past the gasket.

Like I mentioned before. I had the same problem. Oil stains above the engine code. There was no dirtly oil streams coming from the cam cap, solonoid, or distributor, which got brand new gaskets during the rebuild, and the brand new OEM cam cap was bathed in hondabond before inserting.

I took the hose from the valve cover to the intake arm (which was attached as stock) and just vented it to the atmosphere.

Oil leak above engine code is COMPLETELY gone now.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil leak from head gasket (tonyXcom)

I removed that hose that connects the intake to the valve cover. Then went home from work (about a 15 min drive) and no leaks from the area. I am going to leave
it off until tomorrow and check again for leaks.

I looked around and found that the PCV hose that connects the PCV valve from the oil breather chamber to the JRSC is not even there. Must have forgot when I swapped the longblock. Hmmm, is that why im getting so much blow-by? Anyway, I will get a hose and reconnect that shiat and hopefully the leak will disappear
Old 03-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update

well I checked for leaks about 5 minutes ago and yup, i see a dribble of oil coming from that area =X

I'm going to hook up the PCV valve tonight. Hopefully that will cure it.

Any other ideas guys? late.

Old 03-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Trial User

id get it checked out man.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil leak from head gasket

I have the same problem. Appears to be an oil leak right at the corner of the head above the VIN plate at the junction of the head, block, and transmission bell housing. Did the PCV valve fix change this? Are you still leaking?

Same thing, definitely not the VTEC solenoid, distributor, temp sensor - i blotted with a paper towel and all were dry underneath. I happened to swap the tranny out so I was able to clean all the oil and grit off the engine and i can l see the oil weeping from this corner after a 10 minute drive. Everywhere else is dry.

Debating what can be done short of pulling the head and replacing the gasket.

Thx
Ian