Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil getting into intake??

Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil getting into intake??

I have a stock intake on a 98 civic lx and I noticed when changing the air filter that oil is getting into the intake and into the throttle body, is that supposed to happen? If not what could be the reason for this?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil getting into intake??

no its not supposed to happen lol..is there any noticable leaks like valve cover gasket might suck up oil if its leaking
Old 04-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dllnzek
no its not supposed to happen lol..is there any noticable leaks like valve cover gasket might suck up oil if its leaking
Yeah i didn't think so lol that line that goes from the valve cover to stock intake box, it's coming from that line
Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go to autozone and pick up a breather for like 5 bucks and just put it on the valve cover so u dont have that line going to the intake..that should solve the problem

http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com...her_filter.jpg
Old 04-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dllnzek
i would go to autozone and pick up a breather for like 5 bucks and just put it on the valve cover so u dont have that line going to the intake..that should solve the problem

http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com...her_filter.jpg
Appreciate your help
Old 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean, and or replace your PCV valve.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Positive crankcase pressure is vented into your intake via that hose you mentioned. You will always get a little oil residue that gets sucked up into your intake. The hose is there for emissions reasons. If you have a little oil that is ok, if you have a lot you have a problem. You should clean out all the oil and put everything back together. Odds are is you just have years of residue built up. Check your intake again in a few weeks and see what has built up. Then you can determine if you have an actual problem. If your motor is actually pumping oil out of the breather a 5 dollar oil filter is not goin to be your fix because it isn't going to hold back the oil from running down the back of your motor. Also aggressive high RPM driving will cause more vapor and residue to come out of the breather.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crawfo661
Positive crankcase pressure is vented into your intake via that hose you mentioned. You will always get a little oil residue that gets sucked up into your intake. The hose is there for emissions reasons. If you have a little oil that is ok, if you have a lot you have a problem. You should clean out all the oil and put everything back together. Odds are is you just have years of residue built up. Check your intake again in a few weeks and see what has built up. Then you can determine if you have an actual problem. If your motor is actually pumping oil out of the breather a 5 dollar oil filter is not goin to be your fix because it isn't going to hold back the oil from running down the back of your motor. Also aggressive high RPM driving will cause more vapor and residue to come out of the breather.
never seen ANY oil in my intake. If you do, its not normal. Op, your pcv likely needs to be change or at the very least cleaned with some carb/brake cleaner.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can have some get into it sometimes but in very very small amounts from the breather hose. somes times its mostly build up. but i mean really small like a tiny film around the hole, if you have it on your tb and intake arm check your pcv.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
never seen ANY oil in my intake. If you do, its not normal. Op, your pcv likely needs to be change or at the very least cleaned with some carb/brake cleaner.
The car has been siting for a year, I just picked it up and am new to Hondas, I never go past 3500 rpms since I want to gve the motor time to recover from a long sit, It was a lot of oil but def oil, I'll clean the pcv
Old 04-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
Thats why it recirculates to your intake, so that it burns fumes and residue that comes out of your valve cover, emissions so it doesn't vent to atmosphere
Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dumb question but where exactly is that valve located? Can I get right to it or hae to remove certain things?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

above your oil filter on the back of the block if you have a y8, easiest to do if you have your oil filter off
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crawfo661
You're correct. OP The PCV valve is NOT recirculated to the intake. It goes to your intake manifold....
Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah stock motor for 98 lx ej6, I don't know the names of the motors lol I just left 240s for
Hondas so there are some things I'm new to
Old 04-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Azimmer
Yeah stock motor for 98 lx ej6, I don't know the names of the motors lol I just left 240s for
Hondas so there are some things I'm new to
Well if you have a y7 its in a different spot, so figure out which engine you've got lol
Old 04-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicjunkie17
You're correct. OP The PCV valve is NOT recirculated to the intake. It goes to your intake manifold....
I believe the guy was saying that if your pcv gets clogged your engine pushes more out of your valve cover vent, so thats why you should change it
Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you know what motor you have? Is it engraved on the block?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Google lead me to saying its a d16y7
Old 04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Google lead me to saying its a d16y7
then its under your air filter and fuel rail, in that area
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clean you intake arm and drive for a week or two. since you said it sat for a YEAR. also clean your pcv and then drive it for that time then come back and tell us what you get.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The oil comes from the stock breather, although you shouldnt be getting much in there unless your piston rings are in crappy condition or you have a blown PCV valve as there shouldnt be much pressure up there.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It looked like over time it just built up, I have been driving it so next I'll clean or replace that valve
Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It looked like over time it just built up, I have been driving it so next I'll clean or replace that valve
yea I recently replaced mine its about $3.
Old 08-29-2022, 05:36 PM
Trial User

I have a 1999 honda sabre car...not the bike and I'm noticing a huge amount of oil build up in the air intake housing....I just wanna know where the PCV valve Is to replace it and is there anything else I should change or check while I'm at it???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil getting into intake??