Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oil filter relocation...location

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default oil filter relocation...location

Just wanting to see if the spot Ive chosen to mount my filter is ok...

It is kinda high...dont want the pump to work harder than it has to (obd2 b series)
Right now, its just mounted with a pre-existing weldnut, to see if the spot is alright.
Should I lower it?

Yes, the hood closes
I know...theres no head on the car, but there is the IM... I didnt have room for the manifold anywhere, so this keeps it out of my way
Old 11-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to flip it over so you won't have a mess when you change the oil.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wouldnt it just drain into the lines
Old 11-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

both of you guys do have a point... but logically when i think about... if your planning on doing a oil change right away after you shut off your car...i think it will be messy. but if you give it time to drain down...i think it will be clean and easy :D ...
Old 11-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: oil filter relocation...location (pdiggitydogg)

damn dude, your bay is dirtier than mine.

you got clutter AND dirt lol!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: oil filter relocation...location (Bense)

it looks a little in the way, but easily accessable
Old 11-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you could find a better spot, but it looks like it will work
Old 11-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn dude, your bay is dirtier than mine.
you got clutter AND dirt lol!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont care about having a clean bay...its a DD! ...when it ran... I miss driving it...
Its not that cluttered...is it?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if you give it time to drain down...i think it will be clean and easy :D ... </TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean "drain it down"? Why wouldnt it do this on its own?

Main reason why its where it is...is because I dont know where else to put it! That filter big enough to eat out of doesnt help...and I am going to find a smaller one that fits, but still...
Old 11-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: oil filter relocation...location (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont care about having a clean bay...its a DD! ...when it ran... I miss driving it...
Its not that cluttered...is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, I'm the same way, I just wanted to give ya hell
Old 11-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, I'm the same way, I just wanted to give ya hell </TD></TR></TABLE>
Good lookin out
Old 11-13-2006, 06:08 PM

Default Re: (drtysohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn dude, your bay is dirtier than mine.

you got clutter AND dirt lol!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Except he has a GSR motor .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">both of you guys do have a point... but logically when i think about... if your planning on doing a oil change right away after you shut off your car...i think it will be messy. but if you give it time to drain down...i think it will be clean and easy :D ... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Depending on how you mean "drain down." My truck filter is the exact opposite as far as how the filter drains. It is messy as crap. No matter how long it sits. But, that looks easy as heck to change. Besides, who changes their oil right after shutting off their car?

-Shane
Old 11-13-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Re: (nighttrain33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That filter big enough to eat out of doesnt help</TD></TR></TABLE>

I noticed this. Is that the way all GSR filters are? Heck, my 5.3 filter looks barely as large.

-Shane
Old 11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Except he has a GSR motor
-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

B18B ftw

The filter is a fram PH8A, the standard for relocation kits...I hate it... Its for Fords and the honda filter is dwarfed by it. I guess a Suzuki Areo filter is the same thread pitch, and is what I am going to check out, maybe tomorrow.

If it just has to sit for a few mins to "drain it down" thats fine...I do it that way anyways - I let the pan finish before I remove the filter.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM

The IM looks kinda like a GSR, that's why I said that.

-Shane
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Depending on how you mean "drain down." My truck filter is the exact opposite as far as how the filter drains. It is messy as crap. No matter how long it sits. But, that looks easy as heck to change. Besides, who changes their oil right after shutting off their car?

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

know that the stock location is sideway... or toward the motor... and since he has his oil filter upside down...which mean the oil should drain down will you have your motor sit over night...

example: I usually do my oil change in the morning... when I take out the oil filter there is little to no oil left in the oil filter... kind of like the same concept on what pdiggitydogg is going... unless your oil does not drip back I guess it bad...
Old 11-13-2006, 06:24 PM

Default Re: (JDMFreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

know that the stock location is sideway... or toward the motor... and since he has his oil filter upside down...which mean the oil should drain down will you have your motor sit over night...

example: I usually do my oil change in the morning... when I take out the oil filter there is little to no oil left in the oil filter... kind of like the same concept on what pdiggitydogg is going... unless your oil does not drip back I guess it bad...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see what you are saying. I hate changing my truck filter, because no matter how careful I am, it gets all over my arm because of the way it is positioned.

-Shane
Old 11-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMFreak)

dont filters have a valve to retain oil to avoid dry start? Why would you relocate the filter? I got a B16 and dont need to get the filter off from underneath, just reach underneath the manifold.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Re: (DeadEnd9009)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeadEnd9009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont filters have a valve to retain oil to avoid dry start? Why would you relocate the filter? I got a B16 and dont need to get the filter off from underneath, just reach underneath the manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm, have you seen how easily accessible his filter is? I know it is not that hard to replace when it is stock, but this way is obviously easier.

-Shane
Old 11-13-2006, 06:31 PM

well its not mine but i dont like it
Old 11-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont really care about your opinion of how it looks...thanks
tech comments only

I have a relocation kit because of an oil cooler
(knew I should have said that to avoid people saying "why do you have that?")
Oil cooler to keep temperatures down, boosted application - dont always have time to let the car idle for 2+ mins and turbo timer does not work with my alarm setup.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:47 PM

You still haven't answered my pm. I am going to the store to buy something to drink. Will be back in a little bit.

-Shane
Old 11-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i did dude!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey dont feel bad on what people say... as long as it work and there is no issue...im all for you bro... :D i was thinking about doing the same thing but at a different location.... becuase we know how we are...we are lazy and trying to make things easier in life.... but i was afraid of extending the line to a different location will cause lower oil pressure flowing back and forth...
Old 11-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL lazy indeed!
Seriously, if you have any other ideas of where to put this thing, Im all about hearing it!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont really care about your opinion of how it looks...thanks
tech comments only
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, i heart you too.

Quick Reply: oil filter relocation...location