Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil "Extractor?"

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil "Extractor?"

Has anyone used an oil extractor to perform oil changes?

My oil pan drain plug is damaged, and will require a new oil pan if removed (it's already been oversized and tapped once, so that's out).

Does the extractor remove enough oil/contaminants to be a viable option? Obviously, a new oil filter replaced often along with high-quality oil should help, correct?

My '96 EX Coupe has 220,000 miles, so I'm trying to save as much as possible toward a new car within the next couple years, so I'd like to know if the extractor method will keep the car running for at least a couple years.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil "Extractor?"

I believe the dipstick on the Y8 goes into the oil pump, so I don't think you'd be able to get much out even if you can get a small enough hose.
If a pan off a D15B7 would work, I'll send you one for the price of shipping. (Going to scrap the engine for aluminum, someone may as well benefit from it). Somewhere I heard all D series pans are interchangeable, but I've heard things like this that turned out to be complete rubbish also. If you want to do your research, you can PM me if you're interested. I'm not trying to make money, so don't delete this mods.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by thumper64
I believe the dipstick on the Y8 goes into the oil pump, so I don't think you'd be able to get much out even if you can get a small enough hose.
If a pan off a D15B7 would work, I'll send you one for the price of shipping. (Going to scrap the engine for aluminum, someone may as well benefit from it). Somewhere I heard all D series pans are interchangeable, but I've heard things like this that turned out to be complete rubbish also. If you want to do your research, you can PM me if you're interested. I'm not trying to make money, so don't delete this mods.
Damn, that sounded like the best option = /. I'm not into cars much, if you know where to find the info on whether or not it would fit, let me know.

Looks like it's part # 11200-P2J-000 as per http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0
Old 06-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd like to help you, but I honestly don't know.

I think some used an aluminum pan, some used a steel pan. I just know mine is steel. I don't know if the pans have the same pattern, but just the bottomer part is shaped different or what. Pulling the pan off is kind of a pain even though it's pretty easy and about as straight forward as you can get, otherwise I'd look at a junkyard or something.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by thumper64
I'd like to help you, but I honestly don't know.

I think some used an aluminum pan, some used a steel pan. I just know mine is steel. I don't know if the pans have the same pattern, but just the bottomer part is shaped different or what. Pulling the pan off is kind of a pain even though it's pretty easy and about as straight forward as you can get, otherwise I'd look at a junkyard or something.
Thanks man, to be honest, if it need a new pan I'll just buy one from hondapartscheap.com or whatever to save a few $. The labor costs more than the pan.

Are you pretty sure about the dipstick tube ending in the oil pump, and not the oil pan itself?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, but at least check around here or put "WTB D16Y8 oil pan" in your signature if you post around here much...

And yup, OBD2 Civics with D series engines had the dipstick ending in the oil pump. I bought a Y8 that I later sold since I found a killer deal on a D15B, which doesn't have the little quirk of spinning bearings the Y8 has. Yeah, ask your local dealership about that. Mine completely denies that a Y8 is any more prone to it than other engines.