Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oil dipstick is black

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil dipstick is black

after checking d oil with d dipstick.. d oil is black! im gonna service it straightaway but i need to know d state of my engine? is it still ok or has it completely weared down? will d problem come back if i service it regularly? i jus completely forgot to do it d past month hehe im usin a b20vtec on a del sol..

thanx
Old 08-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil dipstick is black (Delsolburger)

uhhh.. change d oil? you can't really tell d state of d engine if you look at d dipstick. It's pretty normal for d oil to be black. just change it every 3,000 miles or 3months.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: oil dipstick is black (MormonBoy)

internet ebonics yo.

D D D D D D D D D D
Old 08-22-2005, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if that was purposely done.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:55 PM

The oil is DIRTY, just change it, it happens thats why you change it like clockwork at 3,000 miles one mile over and it gets dirty and turns black to remind you to change it.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil dipstick is black (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The oil is DIRTY, just change it, it happens thats why you change it like clockwork at 3,000 miles one mile over and it gets dirty and turns black to remind you to change it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do people say to change it at 3k when Honda themselves says to change it every 5k - 7k?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: oil dipstick is black (FuNkDrSpOt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Why do people say to change it at 3k when Honda themselves says to change it every 5k - 7k?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because many people in this forum drive their motors a bit more harsh than the conditions that require a 5k-7k interval. And actually, "Honda themselves" do add "or sooner under harsh conditions".

And who said that it's normal for oil to be BLACK on the DIPSTICK at 3,000M? After 3,000M mine is just slightly darker than new oil.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil dipstick is black (Screwtape:)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Screwtape: &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because many people in this forum drive their motors a bit more harsh than the conditions that require a 5k-7k interval. And actually, "Honda themselves" do add "or sooner under harsh conditions".

And who said that it's normal for oil to be BLACK on the DIPSTICK at 3,000M? After 3,000M mine is just slightly darker than new oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand that but 5k is HARSH conditions. Everyone lets loose at the throttle every now and then but very few of us on here actually race our cars. Its all those armchair-mechanics on here that repeat what they heard from some guy who repeated what they thought they knew
Old 08-23-2005, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's not that, the fram filters (not the best filter, but most available) recommend changing the filter every 3,000 miles.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:35 AM

please dont use 'd' as a substitute for 'the' on this board ever again... I'm sure you'll start confusing the hell out of people if you start talking about engines....

d is a sohc engine series by honda (yeah yeah zc dohc)
Old 08-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i change my oil at 2,500miles reguardless of what type of driving i do...

don't forget the oil filter.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why do people say to change it at 3k when Honda themselves says to change it every 5k - 7k?</TD></TR></TABLE>

because they do what the oil companies tell them to do. How is it that my old carb'ed 75 Corvette (350) has the same 3k 3month oil change interval as a 1.6L fuel injected Honda? The answer is that it doesn't.

I go 7k between oil changes. The oil doesn't even start to get dirty untill about 6500. Mobil 1 5w-30w and a bosch filter. All hiway miles though, so its normal conditions.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil dipstick is black (Screwtape:)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Screwtape: &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because many people in this forum drive their motors a bit more harsh than the conditions that require a 5k-7k interval. And actually, "Honda themselves" do add "or sooner under harsh conditions".

And who said that it's normal for oil to be BLACK on the DIPSTICK at 3,000M? After 3,000M mine is just slightly darker than new oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here. It's been over 3000km and it looks like honey. Mmmm....honey. I don't understand how someone could have a B20vtec swap in a del sol and not even know what old oil looks like . I guess to answer his question, yes old oil will wear your engine down but not in a few thousand miles. Over time though it will wear seals and all moving parts. I would be more worried about the oil being black in only 3000 miles.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:58 AM

change your oil you re-tard
Old 08-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seafoam d engine.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Delsolburger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after checking d oil with d dipstick.. d oil is black! im gonna service it straightaway but i need to know d state of my engine? is it still ok or has it completely weared down? will d problem come back if i service it regularly? i jus completely forgot to do it d past month hehe im usin a b20vtec on a del sol..

thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>
d dipstick is dddirddy with d black oil because of carbon buildup. The more carbon you have caked on the inside of your block the sooner your oil will look dark. When this happens in excess its primarily because you've been neglecting your oil changes for too long, too many times. Your engine is fine, just very dirty.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil dipstick is black (flood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because they do what the oil companies tell them to do. How is it that my old carb'ed 75 Corvette (350) has the same 3k 3month oil change interval as a 1.6L fuel injected Honda? The answer is that it doesn't.

I go 7k between oil changes. The oil doesn't even start to get dirty untill about 6500. Mobil 1 5w-30w and a bosch filter. All hiway miles though, so its normal conditions. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The only other person on here who understands why! There was even a letter to those car guys who answer questions in the paper and they said unless your doing EXTREME (a.k.a. racing) driving then you should be fine with, at the most 5k.

For christ sake, if its not hard enough to figure out that your just doing an extra oil change every 6k, HOnda says for HARSH driving you should change the oil every 5k, yet every dealership and their momma slaps those reminders on EVERY car that state 3k miles. My girl is scared to even accelerate her car, yet they slap a 3k sticker on her car. Is it because shes driving harsh? No, they just want more money.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:23 PM

i am a tech at a honda dealer, and was told by a field engineer that the reason that they say 5-7k is to make the cars seem like the require less maintance, kind of like how some of the hondas need t belts at 90 and some are at 105. its all about sales and how they are making the coustomers think that it will require less money to maintain there cars
Old 08-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil dipstick is black (JICB16B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICB16B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am a tech at a honda dealer, and was told by a field engineer that the reason that they say 5-7k is to make the cars seem like the require less maintenance, kind of like how some of the hondas need t belts at 90 and some are at 105. its all about sales and how they are making the coustomers think that it will require less money to maintain there cars</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are so right. I also work at a dealership and have been told this too. You and I are prolly the only ones that actually get it...lol. Honda doesn't have some total brain that decides when the exact time oil should be changed or anything else for that matter. Now of course some testing has been done to find a general point to do certain maintenance, but it all comes down to the sale and money. Also it's a way of trapping people into getting more fixed when they just came in to get there breaks checked or something. They will check them and then be like "oh looks like your oil needs to be changed too". Even if it just under 5k and you wanted to squeeze out 2 more km. They will work their magic and next thing you know it your getting a new car .
Old 08-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil dipstick is black (JICB16B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICB16B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am a tech at a honda dealer, and was told by a field engineer that the reason that they say 5-7k is to make the cars seem like the require less maintance, kind of like how some of the hondas need t belts at 90 and some are at 105. its all about sales and how they are making the coustomers think that it will require less money to maintain there cars</TD></TR></TABLE>

You were told wrong. That field engineer was either feed some propaganda or is feeding it to you. The reason that cars say 5-7k is because they DO REQUIRE LESS MAINTENANCE than cars in years past, but he has either been feed b.s. or is feeding it to you so that you dont go back and tell your customers that they DONT need an oil change at 3k. This has been verified by HOnda of america and with multiple high profile mechanics ( the mechanic guys who answer questions on the radio and on the newspaper ). This is not something exclusive to Honda. ALL dealerships will try to sell you a 3k oil change when the manual itself says 5-7k.

Thats also the reason why Honda switched from copper plugs to platinum, because they DO (key word: do. Not 'i think' or 'maybe') require less maintenance but they do perform worse than copper.

The thing about the timing belt is true because Honda sells a lot of different models and some engines happen to have a slightly more sturdy timing belt design.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm..b20EG..how come not racing it?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:35 AM

I religiously change the oil at 1500-2500 on all of my vehicles, I dont trust many oil companies with my motor :D , Although That High RPM stuff looks good.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1dayCivic)

id rather change the oil too much than too little and **** up my motor in the long run
Old 08-30-2005, 06:18 AM
dh
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ({PBA}Threat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by {PBA}Threat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id rather change the oil too much than too little and **** up my motor in the long run</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah and it's not like it's that hard or time consuming..
Old 08-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil dipstick is black (Bond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also work at a dealership </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know if I would openly admit this. Every dealership I have ever gone to is full of people who are NOT informed about the products they sell.

Granted this obviously isn't always the case.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Honda doesn't have some total brain that decides when the exact time oil should be changed or anything else for that matter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This statement is exactly what I would expect to hear from a sales guy when I went to buy a car. Honda pulls maintenance schedules out of their **** because it looks better to someone buying a car? Riiiiigggghhhhht.

Honda doesnt' have teams upon teams of engineers and massive arrays of computers and hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars in development tools? Hmmm... Thats odd cause I thought they did pay people to do crap like that.

This is the company that has a crash saftey facility just so they can reduce injury to pedestrians that are hit by their cars. They spend a shitload of cash for just this but your telling me that they don't know when to change the oil in their OWN cars. lol.

Quick Reply: oil dipstick is black