Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil consumption increasing in SRI (intake)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil consumption increasing in SRI (intake)

My engine had a valve cover breather on it where the tube goes from the valve cover to the intake. I read a few back things about it and with having a piece of clear tubing that was the right size, I replaced it with the tubing so it would be connected to the intake. Well lately, after about a year of having it on there, I noticed there is a huge increase in oil going through the tube. Before hand it was just like a very, very small amount and I knew that was normal but I don't think this is. It's coated in the inside of my intake and I'm sure this is why the car is running like ****. I also pulled the tube outta the intake and it was pushing air into the intake really strong. Is this normal? Is the increase of oil normal? I'm going to check my pcv valve here soon cause I'm hoping this is the problem but the car has just been running like **** when it wants too. Can the combination of having a clogged pcv valve and oil consumption in the intake be a good reason for the shitty performance that i'm getting? Need some advice here
Old 08-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on your motor?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

Replace your PCV valve. The vapors should flow from the SRI (Clean filtered air) in to the valve cover. Then the air should go through the PCV valve to the black box, and then into the IM.

So you have pluggage somewhere but probably just the PCV valve.

I suggest OEM from Honda but what ever you prefer.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you are saying the vapors (air) should be sucking in through that tube instead of blowing out in the sri like it is. I did pinch the pcv hose that runs in between the throttle body and I don't hear a clicking noise or see the engine rpms dropping or gaining. I know I'm using a purolater pcv valve and I just replaced that 3k back when I did my timing belt change at 105k. Just for the math, my motor is at roughly 108k miles right now.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Shaguar47)

Yes, That is what I am saying, flow-wise. Purolator??? That is why I suggested an OEM one.

Check you hoses for the PCV system and see where they go and if there is something blocking it, or pinched. If you look on the back of the motor you will see the hose from the PCV to a black box I would pull it off and see if there is anything in it.

You might want to pull the PCV and start the motor and see if there is a vacuum from it. Not the valve cover side the black box side. I hope the black box is not plugged up.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man. I just wasn't sure If I was understanding the concept of if either the air was sucked in or blowed out. So I guess I'm experiencing blow by here than. Well, I was wondering about getting an oem pcv but reading some stories on here, the aftermarket ones were just as good. Might consider it than. Would it hurt if I car cleaned the oem one that was on the car when I replaced it and put that one back in or should I get a new one? OEM's are kinda expensive in my opinion.

I do know for a fact that I'm not burning oil cause I checked my oil level and it's the same since the last oil change. I did pinch the pcv hose and there was no clicking sound. I'm getting air blowed out of the crankcase.

Alright, hopefully I got everything in order here. I'm gonna check out the pcv valve, replace if needed, clean the hose running from it to the intake manifold, possibly replace the charcoal canister as well.

When I meant it runs shitty, what I'm meaning is that during acceleration, it bogs and jerks and doesn't have a smooth power curve. The engine also is sorta louder than before and it's lacking power. Amazingly though, I'm not experiencing any bouncy idle or anything. I did however clean the IACV a while ago and it didn't make a difference.