Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil Change Bolt Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Bolt Leak

i'm workin on my boys car and his oil bolt is leaking oil. slowly but u can tell. it's not coming from anywhere else. i think there is a gasket on that bolt if i'm not mistaken. anyone have this problem before? if we bought a new bolt, will it come with a gasket? or could i just get the gasket. thx for the help in adv.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Oil Change Bolt Leak (perseverance)

either u didnt tighten ot enough or it washer on it is shot try to tighten it and if it still leaks just buy a new bolt should come with the washer
Old 12-08-2006, 07:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Oil Change Bolt Leak (egmatt93)

i have a pile of gaskets at home, if your in socal come up with a dollar and ill give you one
Old 12-08-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Oil Change Bolt Leak (perseverance)

torque the plug to 1 ftlb under spec use a pvc washer and soft o-ring or similar crush washer :: but note o-ring helps seal the leak with less torque

thread locker/locktite can be used if in a fix

if still leaking or the bung threading is stripped then::

replace the oil pan and gasket during the next oil change

not attending to oil leaks just means engine and means less time till ur next oil change
Old 12-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Change Bolt Leak (spork motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a pile of gaskets at home, if your in socal come up with a dollar and ill give you one </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or he could hit up honda and get the crush washer for 25 cents.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you buy your filters from the dealer like you should, you'd get a new crush washer each time you change your oil
Old 12-08-2006, 08:21 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Oil Change Bolt Leak (my_slow_civic)

or that
Old 12-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i usually buy my oil and filter from advanced auto parts. how much price difference is the oil and filter from honda?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda says ur suppose to change the crush washer everytime u do an oil change...i have a few hundred used washer in my oil drain bucket from work from changin oil...im not sure bout the price of oil and filter but u do get a crush washer when u buy a honda oil filter...i sent my buddie 30 Honda filters and 30 crush washer for 30 bucks..lol
Old 12-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the crush washer goes on the bolt itself? cause i don't even have one of those on the bolt. it's just a direct i think 17mm rite into the oil pan.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (perseverance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by perseverance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the crush washer goes on the bolt itself? cause i don't even have one of those on the bolt. it's just a direct i think 17mm rite into the oil pan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its actually 13mm bolt. I would put a crush washer on, might help fix the leak.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** i feel like a dunce..... will do that asap. thx for all the help guys
Old 12-08-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Oil Change Bolt Leak (my_slow_civic)

um sry I make my own washers why give in to the mann

that 25cent is mine

AZ the land of the bisimoto header knockoff and some other beautiful turbomani
Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 PM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: Oil Change Bolt Leak (Elwuudz)

It's called a Honda crush gasket.. Every honda uses them because they refuse to fix the obvious flaw in their oil pans.

And why the expletive should you get an oil filter from the dealer? Because you like to pay 5 times more for an oil filter than you need to?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try wrapping teflon tape around the threads of the oil drain plug, this should do the trick.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:06 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: (pcupo12)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pcupo12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try wrapping teflon tape around the threads of the oil drain plug, this should do the trick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well.. He shouldnt need to do that. Honda recommends that you change the crush gasket around the plug every time you take the drain plug out. So, I can say with about 99.9% certainty that this is the problem. Since the kid never knew about this before, it's not the first time he has changed the oil and not changed the crush gasket. Not to mention, I can only assume the drain plug is horribly over torqued every time as well..
Old 12-09-2006, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Oil Change Bolt Leak (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's called a Honda crush gasket.. Every honda uses them because they refuse to fix the obvious flaw in their oil pans.

And why the expletive should you get an oil filter from the dealer? Because you like to pay 5 times more for an oil filter than you need to? </TD></TR></TABLE>

for the price of a honda filter i'd rather get a napa gold or a wix filter, much better filter for the money. And I get my crush gaskets for like $11 per 100.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dunno what your dealers are charging, but mine is only $6 for the filter, which includes the crush washer. That's $2 more then the bottom end FRAM, and about $1 more then NAPA Gold
Old 12-09-2006, 04:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's called a Honda crush gasket.. Every honda uses them because they refuse to fix the obvious flaw in their oil pans.

And why the expletive should you get an oil filter from the dealer? Because you like to pay 5 times more for an oil filter than you need to? </TD></TR></TABLE>

What are you talking about??? What flaw??? don't write about something you don't understand...

There is NO FLAW in Honda oil pan quality...

Every single car has to have CRUSH WASHER on the oil pan bolt to preserve leaking...

the same thing is with every BOLT that seals something (i.e. block-drain bolt)

It HAS TO HAVE A WASHER...

I have never seen in my life ANY bolt on any application that is involved in fluids (automotive or not) that jas no washer...

If you look at your water piping in the house, wherever there is a bolt that needs to seal something, there is a washer... either a metal washer or a special material that you wrap around the threads before you tighten the bolt...

BMW has a crush washer, Honda has one, Mazda has one, Ford has one, VW has one, EVERY SINGLE CAR HAS IT...

It is either a plastic washer that needs to be replaced every 4-5th oil change or the copper crush washer that needs to be replaced every single oil change (but it can last 3-4 oil changes if you do not overtighten the bolt)...

the copper one is better choice, cos it is easier to strip it off the bolt when replacing it... the plastic one can be a bitch if the bolt is overtightened cos the plastic melts a bit and it sticks to a bolt like hell... sometimes you need to change the whole bolt because the plastic washer wouldn't come of it...

And that can be a problem if you are changing the oil at your home garage Sunday afternoon... and you drain the oil pan and see you need a new bolt... and you have NO CAR to go to the store to get it... and the store is like 10-15 miles away...

or you call a friend and get to the store and see it's closed, or they don't have the bolt you are looking for... it can be a big problem...

And your wife is nervous cos you promised to take her and the kid to lunch or something like that...

Old 12-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've only changed the oil once since i got it, and i noticed the leak from before. but on my other car's i didn't need a crush washer. and yea, i'm probably over torquing as well. i'll use my friends torque wrench next time.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i can use any crush washer? i'm sure i can find one at advanced or home depot if really needed.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Change Bolt Leak (KKVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What are you talking about??? What flaw??? don't write about something you don't understand...

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-09-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Re: (perseverance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by perseverance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i can use any crush washer? i'm sure i can find one at advanced or home depot if really needed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use the proper sized crush washer (I think it is 14mm in diameter)... oversized washer will not seal properly, and undersized washer will not fit the bolt...

Old 12-09-2006, 09:16 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: Oil Change Bolt Leak (KKVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why dont you relax? I realize most plugs for liquids use gaskets of some sort. I also realize pretty much every car has some sort of gasket for the drain bolts [i worked in an oil change shop for 4 years]. I was told that the Honda crush gasket was originally made because honda fucked up the oil pan design. Whether or not that is correct, that is what I was told when I took the job at the oil change shop. Excuse me for being naive and believing what they told me.

Dont for one second think I dont "understand" why things like drain plugs need gaskets. Any retard with an IQ of 45 can figure that out.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:33 AM

I only told you that there is no flaw in the quality or design... because if there is some flaw, wouldn't you believe that they would fix it over the years from 1960's until present day...

Especialy if you look at the fact that oil pans are NOT ALL THE SAME... I would "buy" it if Honda would use the same oil pan on all models...

And that was my only point: DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR...

Even if Honda had some problems with quality, I doubt they wouldn't fix it... if not sooner, then with a newer model...

They had problems with exhaust manifolds and they recalled... I think they would do the same with oil pans if there were any "flaws"...

NHF

Quick Reply: Oil Change Bolt Leak