Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil Change :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change :(

lol, k i have a stock 92 cx hatch, gettin ready to change my oil (first timer) and i need to know some things....

1) How can i get at my Filter... it seems like its in an odd place, under my fuel rail a couple of inches... and i dont have an oil filter wrench thing.

2) When putting the filter back on do i have rub some oil around the ring?

3) My step-dad was saying something about i need an oil squirter for something??

Lol.. sorry for the newb questions.. just my first time doing it myself. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:26 AM
BLAP BLAP!!!

Default Re: Oil Change :( (Rev-Olution)

are you serious?!?!?!
Old 07-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to remover your filter you have to get under the car and look up behind your motor. Yes its always a good idea to put a little bit of oil in the filter and on the rubber ring before installing your new filter.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:28 AM
New User

i would suggest the search function, but to answer a few of your questions. Yes, you need a filter wrench (the one that clamps when you turn it), and yes you need to lubricate the edge of the filter before installing it to seal it to the block.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Change :( (BLAP BLAP!!!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLAP BLAP!!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you serious?!?!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Change :( (gambit33)

One more important thing! Before you screw on the oil filter, put some oil into the oil filter to saturate it. If you don't do it, there will be an air gap in the oil galleries and lack of lubrication when you start your engine.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Change :( (Drunk-N-Munky)

Try to buy an OEM honda filter wrench if you use OEM honda oil filters, if not Sears has something by Craftsman that resembles a claw looking thing, supposedly pretty good..

It worst comes to worse, jab the oil filter with a screwdriver and loosen it that way..

And you always want to lube your new oil filter with some oil on the rubber ring part...

good luck
Old 07-22-2003, 11:31 AM

the oil filter is on the back of your engine, best accessed from underneath....you shouldn't need a wrench or anything to get it off.....mine is always hard to get off when I do it, but it budges eventually....just put a little umph into it. Only remove the filter once you have already drained the oil pan.

o yeah...dont be right underneath the filter when you finally do take it off...that **** is pressurized or something, it definitly spit hot oil all over my face and the rest of the surrounding area the first time i ever took it off myself. lol, that was hilarious looking back, hot and disgusting at the time.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:32 AM

if you don't have one, or if it's too tight for the wrench, just put a long flat screw driver trought the side of the filter, and use the handle as a wrench, becareful when you put it through, oil will spill out.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Change :( (elevatethis)

How many members does it take to change oil? hahahah
Old 07-22-2003, 11:35 AM
sil

Default Re: Oil Change :( (elevatethis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elevatethis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">o yeah...dont be right underneath the filter when you finally do take it off...that **** is pressurized or something, it definitly spit hot oil all over my face and the rest of the surrounding area </TD></TR></TABLE>
or you can wait a while till all the oil has drained into the pan, then take off the filter.. and you can take the filter out from the top.. and yes i do oil changes when the engine has cooled a bit so i don't burn my arms on the intake manifold, or my hand on the filter
Old 07-22-2003, 11:38 AM

lol.. sorry for the newb question guys... i just didnt wanna f**k anything up. lol... im such a newb.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rev-Olution &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol.. sorry for the newb question guys... i just didnt wanna f**k anything up. lol... im such a newb. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey man, nothing wrong with being a NOOB. As mentioned, definitely lub up the new filter before putting on.
Waiting till the engine is cool/cold makes life easier..
Old 07-22-2003, 11:59 AM
sil

Default Re: Oil Change :( (00MRSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00MRSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Waiting till the engine is cool/cold makes life easier.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
well not neccesarily easier, just less painful..
Old 07-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Change :( (00MRSi)

i just use a .50 cent clamp for home depot, tighten around the oil filter, and then take a screw driver and hammer and knock it loose.....yeah put oil around the filter
Old 07-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Moe

OMG OMG HES NEVER DONE AN OIL CHANGE!!!!!! So what, give him a break, im sure you have been there before....

http://www.c-speedracing.com has a nice walk through on a Oil change. You should be able to take the oil filter off by hand, it should only be turned a 1/4 turn after its tight on the block.

Nothing major, just do it, make sure you dont leave the drain bolt off, or the gasket from the old filter on the block. And it shouldnt be a problem.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLAP BLAP!!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you serious?!?!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>
That was highly uncalled for
Old 07-22-2003, 12:31 PM

Here's something to maybe help a fellow member out:

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...l.php
Old 07-22-2003, 12:36 PM

geez... what a jerk! noone is born knowing how to do it
Old 07-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Change :( (Moe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Moe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OMG OMG HES NEVER DONE AN OIL CHANGE!!!!!! So what, give him a break, im sure you have been there before....

http://www.c-speedracing.com has a nice walk through on a Oil change. You should be able to take the oil filter off by hand, it should only be turned a 1/4 turn after its tight on the block.

Nothing major, just do it, make sure you dont leave the drain bolt off, or the gasket from the old filter on the block. And it shouldnt be a problem. </TD></TR></TABLE> Give him a break here's here to ask for help not to get toss around.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I only tighten my filter by hand so I dont need a wrench to take it off.

Yes make sure you lube the gasket with engine oil before putting it back on.

Check to make sure that the old gasket is not stuck to the block.

You are supposed to fill the filter with oil before you install it. Of course this makes a mess with filters that install sideways. So I fill the filter with oil and then pour out any excess and then install the filter.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:48 PM
Cav

Default Re: (Mighty)

hey man il try to give ya a hand

first off warm car to regular idel tempture

1.jack up car securltey on stands or use car ramps like i do)
2.unscrew engine cap and take out dipstick and put them on some newspaper away from dirt and debree
3.unbolt the oil drain plug and watch that oil pour dont burn yourself since the oil will be hot
4.wait for oil to drain out then put screw back in then pull it back out and allow remaing oil to dribble, clean off oil drain plug with a clean rag and put your new washer on the drain plug then put back into the hole
5.unscrew oil filter, on hondas its a bitch to get at but i just use a oil change wrecnh thing (yes i dont knwo the name lol)
6.when taking off the filter turn it so the oil doesnt leak out
7. wipe area around where the filter would be with a clean rag
8.check your OLD oil filter to make sure the gasket is still on their
9.put some new oil on the new oil filter gasket then attacth it to the place where it goes (dont laugh at me)
10.i just make sure mine is on hand tight then use the oil wrench tool to make it a lil more tighter
11.put dipstick back in the hole and fill up your engine with clean oil i use 5w-30
12. start car and look under for leeks then back car off ramps or lower car onto flat level and turn off the engine
13.check for leeks and just to make sure your engine has enough oil
**side note now go have a beer if your over 19 **
14.for thenext few trips make sure you arent leeking any oil

Old 07-22-2003, 12:57 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the many jerks on HT. Good luck with the change.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:11 PM

Someone mentioned there is a way to take the filter off from the TOP? PLEASE EXPLAIN.

Also One Very important thing that you DON"T want to forget.... REPLACE THE DRAIN PLUG BEFORE YOU ADD NEW OIL

Old 07-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Moe

Default Re: Oil Change :( (Spoond TEG)

Just reach around behind the IM and twist the oil filter off. I cant do it that way, because there isnt enough room for me, and i alwalys end up with a bruse on my forearm, because that damn IM is in the way.

If you dont have meaty arms, then you can do it.

Quick Reply: Oil Change :(