Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil cap ever came off on highway?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cap ever came off on highway?

Ok, so I did an oil change on my car about a week and a half ago, possibly two weeks now, and I know for sure I put the cap back on.
Yesterday, I was on the freeway, driving a "little hard" (only a d15b8, so close to redline at all times lol) and was pulling back into my place and smelt oil burning... uh oh... this can't be good at all. So I parked and got out, and saw a LOT of smoke coming from the bay. I decided it best not to open the hood to prevent a possible fire. I gave it about an hour to cool and came back and noticed oil coming over the front bumper from under the hood! When I popped the hood the oil cap was missing, and the is oil <U>everywhere</U>! Not a hard fix, just going to be a pain in the *** to clean everything up, and degrease and all.
Anyway, jsut wondering if anyone has ever had this happen or even heard of it?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Oil cap ever came off on highway? (j_man104)

no never happened to me ::knocks on wood::

but now im gonna make sure my oil cap is on
Old 03-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had that **** happen to me, saw the oil cap just chilling on the intake manifold. I did an oil change and didnt tighten it down tight enough i guess. Saw smoke from the engine bay and popped the hood and saw it, it sucks.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil cap ever came off on highway? (Luserkid)

Shortly after an oil change I heard a funny sound under my hood. Couldn't figure out where the hell the noise was coming from. Sounded like the belt....then I just happened to touch the oil cap and the noise stopped. It had come loose slightly. It does happen.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Oil cap ever came off on highway? (Marauder)

Better check your oil level hopefully it didn't run to low and starve at all when you were beating on it a little.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil cap ever came off on highway? (Luserkid)

I shot mine off pulling away from a stop sign awhile back.
Clean up wasnt fun.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j_man104 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so I did an oil change on my car about a week and a half ago, possibly two weeks now, and I know for sure I put the cap back on.
Yesterday, I was on the freeway, driving a "little hard" (only a d15b8, so close to redline at all times lol) and was pulling back into my place and smelt oil burning... uh oh... this can't be good at all. So I parked and got out, and saw a LOT of smoke coming from the bay. I decided it best not to open the hood to prevent a possible fire. I gave it about an hour to cool and came back and noticed oil coming over the front bumper from under the hood! When I popped the hood the oil cap was missing, and the is oil <U>everywhere</U>! Not a hard fix, just going to be a pain in the *** to clean everything up, and degrease and all.
Anyway, jsut wondering if anyone has ever had this happen or even heard of it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Clever lad.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Oil cap ever came off on highway? (old man neri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Had that **** happen to me, saw the oil cap just chilling on the intake manifold. I did an oil change and didnt tighten it down tight enough i guess. Saw smoke from the engine bay and popped the hood and saw it, it sucks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

same thing happened to me. cap landed right on the intake manifold. im just glad i didnt loose it.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Oil cap ever came off on highway? (tallyturbo)

Yeah i'm sure oil level is very low, not planning on running it, just doing an oil change where it sits then probably about 3 hours of cleanup, how did you clean yours up? Just alot of degreaser and a quick fresh water rinse? I'm pretty sure it came off close to me pulling up since I just started smelling it, then it got progressively worse, after running maybe two more minutes. Plus I never got any lights, which i'm sure work. Oh well if I did... just means gsr swap sooner!
Old 03-11-2006, 05:39 AM

lol, I added some oil to my car one time. then closed the hood, and took off real quick, as I was to be somewhere shortly, and before I even got out of the parking lot I saw some smoke so i got out and my oil cap was just gone. I had forgot to even put it back on, like a moron......