Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil additives

when i had my old car (98 honda civic EX), i used a product called engine restorer, and it was added with a fresh oil change...it was supposed to seal your engine better, and help it run better or some garbage...anyway...it seemed to run good and all, but i was wondering if anyone has tried it, and knows if it helps or actually hurts your engine in some way...
the same question goes for all oil additives...

and whats a good product to clean out your engine, such as get the carbon build up and all that junk out of your engine...seafoam stuff?

and how does it all work. thanks guys

no i didnt want to search cuz there are too many questions..
Old 05-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil additives (civboy115)

Zmax! My car didn't start for 3 years and so I've heard about this new Zmax product, and figured it was worth a shot. I poured the bottle into the engine and cranked up my engine and it started right away! No smoke, no rattling, no funny noises...what so ever! I basically poured a new engine into my car with the $40 that I have invested! Zmax truely works! I would highly recommend Zmax for everyone, whether your a big baller like me or a poor broke *** biAOUTCH on the streets. Zmax is the way to go!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trooper0641

Zmax! My car didn't start for 3 years and so I've heard about this new Zmax product, and figured it was worth a shot. I poured the bottle into the engine and cranked up my engine and it started right away! No smoke, no rattling, no funny noises...what so ever! I basically poured a new engine into my car with the $40 that I have invested! <FONT COLOR="red"><FONT SIZE="3">Zmax truely works! </FONT></FONT> I would highly recommend Zmax for everyone, whether your a <FONT COLOR="red"> <FONT SIZE="3">big baller like me</FONT></FONT> or a poor broke *** biAOUTCH on the streets. <FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="red"> Zmax is the way to go! </FONT></FONT>

A perfect example of why AMSOIL discourages use of aftermarket additives is the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) recent lawsuit against zMax auto additives, seeking to halt false and misleading advertising and gain refunds for consumers who purchased the products. According to the FTC, the enhanced performance benefits zMax claims its products provide are totally unsubstantiated, and in the same tests cited to support performance claims, motor oil treated with zMax actually produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil by itself. They further allege that the three different zMax products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - are nothing more than tinted mineral oil.

The complaint states that since at least May of 1999, zMax has aired infomercials promoting its “Power System,” a $39 package of three additives to be used in the engine, fuel line and transmission of automobiles. The infomercials are quite convincing, even going as far as featuring testimonials from various consumers and race car drivers making such claims as, “I was averaging about 22 miles to the gallon on the highway. I installed the zMax and so I jumped right up to about 28 miles per gallon” and “zMax guarantees a minimum of 10 percent gas mileage increase.” Other advertising claims “zMax with LinKite has the scientific, CRC L38 proof it takes your car to the Max!” and “Why zMax Works - Cuts carbon build-up on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on piston skirts 60%; Reduces blow-by leakage 17.7%; Increases combustion efficiency 9.25%; Lowers fuel consumption 8.5% - Results of an independent CRC L38 test.”

The CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry test which measures the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. According to the complaint, in early 1997 an independent testing facility performed two CRC L38 tests of the zMax products. The results showed motor oil treated with the zMax additives produced more than double the bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. According to the FTC, the defendants eliminated the bearing corrosion results, as well as all other negative results, to produce one “report” from the two sets of tests, using this “report” in its infomercials and on its website.

The FTC charge alleges that zMax did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following product claims:

• increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%
• reduces engine wear
• reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup
• reduces engine corrosion
• extends engine life
• reduces emissions

They also allege that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test prove that zMax:

• increases gas mileage
• reduces engine wear
• extends engine life
• lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%
• lowers wear on valve stems by 66%
• lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%
• cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%

Finally, the FTC charges that zMax does not have substantiation for the representation that the testimonials and endorsements shown in zMax advertising are “the actual and current opinions, findings, beliefs, and/or experiences of those consumers; and the typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use the product.”

The lawsuit against zMax is the latest in a long line of FTC charges against auto additive manufacturers. The FTC has previously halted allegedly deceptive advertising by the marketers of Dura Lube, Motor Up, Prolong, Valvoline, Slick 50, STP and other major brands of engine treatment systems.

http://www.bestsyntheticoil.co...shtml

Modified by Huggy Bear at 6:04 PM 5/13/2004

Modified by Huggy Bear at 6:14 PM 5/13/2004
Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
a/k/a Jomo

BG MOA & BG 44K are . I tried the prolong and duralube stuff about 6 years ago in my first vehicle a truck and didn't really notice anything positive or negative as far as build up and seal wear upon tear down.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Re: oil additives (trooper0641)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trooper0641 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Zmax! My car didn't start for 3 years and so I've heard about this new Zmax product, and figured it was worth a shot. I poured the bottle into the engine and cranked up my engine and it started right away! No smoke, no rattling, no funny noises...what so ever! I basically poured a new engine into my car with the $40 that I have invested! Zmax truely works! I would highly recommend Zmax for everyone, whether your a big baller like me or a poor broke *** biAOUTCH on the streets. Zmax is the way to go! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Bwah..ha.ha.ha... that stuff don't work. Please just go to this site first: http://www.amsoil.com. After that throw out the ZMAX, Slick 50, Duralube, Prolong, or whatever you have bought into... better yet sell it to your dumb friends who think the world of those lubes and get some of your money back.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil additives (EKCivicR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKCivicR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Bwah..ha.ha.ha... that stuff don't work. Please just go to this site first: http://www.amsoil.com. After that throw out the ZMAX, Slick 50, Duralube, Prolong, or whatever you have bought into... better yet sell it to your dumb friends who think the world of those lubes and get some of your money back. </TD></TR></TABLE>
but...my car started after 3 years of sleeping! Zmax has proven itself!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trooper0641 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">big baller like me </TD></TR></TABLE>
fresh out of high school, and already a "big baller"

do you even know where that term originated from? and it didn't have anything to do with basket ball, or having millions of dollars or having celebrity status.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Re: oil additives (Huggy Bear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Huggy Bear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
fresh out of high school, and already a "big baller"

do you even know where that term originated from? and it didn't have anything to do with basket ball, or having millions of dollars or having celebrity status.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not a "big baller" but I would like to know....

abnormally large *******?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry Bro but I had to "I basically poured a new engine into my car" as long as you prime your motor, and it was stored properly it should have no problems starting up the first time. Granted you will have a bit of metal on metal friction until the motor is primed with oil.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil additives (Trooper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Trooper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry Bro but I had to "I basically poured a new engine into my car" as long as you prime your motor, and it was stored properly it should have no problems starting up the first time. Granted you will have a bit of metal on metal friction until the motor is primed with oil. </TD></TR></TABLE>
LMAO im just messing, sheesh! your in 714 huh? whats your name?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry i didnt know that you were kidding, yep in 714 and my name is Trooper.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil additives (EG2 SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG2 SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not a "big baller" but I would like to know....

abnormally large *******?</TD></TR></TABLE>

this term baller came from the drug scene, 2 grams of cocaine is known as an 8 ball, and persons who sold cocaine were known as ballers