Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oh god not another freshly swapped electrical problem

Old 05-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh god not another freshly swapped electrical problem

ok so the swap is done, b16a3, 1992 civic LX....i had to use the wiring harness from the stock d15 because the harness that was on it had too many broken connectors....i extended the map sensor plug and oil pressure switch plug, i wired VTEC up to the wires on the shock tower (since it's a 92 and pre-wired for vtec)...the ECU is a p30 ecu.

What Happens: Turn the key, sounds like starter is just spinning but not kicking out to engage the flywheel. My SRS light, Brake Light, and Door Ajar light comone on (i had the door open) but the check engine light and others that are supposed to light up when the key is turned on do not light up at all. My power windows go down just fine, batter is at 12.4 volts...i have 12.4 volts to the starter....also when i turn the key to the on position my VAFC, CD player, and Apexi Turbo Timer do not operate...when i turn the key off the Turbo timer flashes 30 second countdown but shuts immediately off instead of remaining on as it should.

What I've Tried- i tested the starter motor feed circuit, and ground circuit and both came up with reasonable readings, battery is fully charged, i switched back to the stock po6 ECU and tried to atleast get it to crank thinking maybe a bad ecu but the same problem was still there...at first i was thinking maybe i had a bad starter due to it not engaging the flywheel, but then i realized it doesnt make any sense as to why my CEL wouldnt come on and my VAFC and such won't turn on...i've checked all fuses and came up good. i have checked all connectors and all are plugged in.

does it make a difference that i just snipped the org/blu and org/wht wires from the connector on my shock tower so i could solder and shrinktube my connections for VTEC?

can someone please shed some light on this shitty situation, this 5 hour job has been strung out over 2 weeks so far due to me constantly getting screwed on parts i need and im getting really fed up with this.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oh god not another freshly swapped electrical problem (1jdmferio)

ok so i just went to try and start it again, this time the CD player turns on and plays fine, but when i try to crank it the low oil pressure light dimly comes on and then will go out. Im pretty sure my turbo timer is working but has no display because the low oil pressure light will stay on until you hear the "click" that the relays make when the turbo timer times itself out (anyone that has a turbo timer knows what im talking about), the starter motor still just sounds like a fan when i try to crank it.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump what the hell am i doing wrong here
Old 05-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man honestly i dunno but i will tell you that when i put my b16 in my hatch i was getting good readings from starter but it wouldn't turn took it off hooked up to power and realized it was working just not spinning enough i replaced it. i would try that
Old 05-09-2006, 06:59 PM

starter is bad...i had the same problem with my swap... those lights are coming on because u have the ignition turned on...since the car doesnt crank the cel wont come on