Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel!

I have searched for many many hours on how to do this but all I pop up with is threads dealing with EG's . Someone has to know the steps on how to do this. The harnesses are not the same on the EG's and EK's so I dont know where to get the horn source from and I also dont know how to ground the wire also. Someone has to help please!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel! (SuperSi)

horn source is part of the harness that connects to the cable reel.. its one of those wires.. i had mine working with momo hub and nar spec QR.. be careful because SRS and Cruise control wire are there also.. i basically cut and extend the wire and attached a peice of metal to the wire and had that touch the metal ring on the back of the hub

Its really easy to do if you just examine the wires and where they go.. remember when measuring wires with the multimeter, the horn is negatively switched... goodluck
Old 05-30-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Re: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel! (EeeJayEight)

okay I think that wire also always has a positive output even though the car is off right? Someone needs to take a pic of this
Old 05-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel! (SuperSi)

yea.. that is what is meant by negatively switched... it has a charge and when switch (horn is pressed) it goes to 0volts
Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 PM

Default Re: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel! (EeeJayEight)

can anyone get a pic of this on there EK's
Old 05-30-2006, 11:54 PM

This would be very helpful guys
Old 05-31-2006, 09:25 AM

Old 05-31-2006, 01:38 PM

someone has to know this
Old 05-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I posted in your other thread a couple of days ago with no questions so assumed you figured it out... guess not.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1641937

You're going to have to take it apart and figure it out.
I already told you that you need a shoe horn to make this work. I don't see how you can just find the horn wire and connect it to the aftermarket one without it causing some sort of binding when you turn the wheel.

The end where my middle finger is, is the end that goes into the male connector underneath the steering column. It took me a while to find it but it's there.

The other end touches the backside of the hub making the horn work.

You're going to have to take the airbag off, steering wheel off, and the cable reel off.

PM me if you have more questions.

btw, this is the same way i hooked up my sparco wheel to my 98 civic.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel! (saxqtzk)

^ i used the shoe horn too, i did a pretty bad job at it, but it works, now im honking at everyone lol
Old 05-31-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel! (astroxtc)

can someone help me out by finding out what wire it is?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill find out tomarrow on my day off and see if i can find where the beginning of the wire is lol
Old 05-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel! (astroxtc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by astroxtc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ i used the shoe horn too, i did a pretty bad job at it, but it works, now im honking at everyone lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did too originally, but I also did a hack job the first time by rushing it because the lack of information for a 6th gen.

But if you take your time it'll come out like stock.

^SuperSi - You can also wire up a separate horn switch. I believe the horn wire is a gray wire in the steering column or the green connector behind the radio.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel! (saxqtzk)

I think I found it guys. Its a black plug with a grey wire. I ground it and I put in the tester and it honks. Ill take pictures for you guys.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:14 PM

The horn wire is the one circled down there and I think the hook up should be right . Metal strip on the back, wire to the horn source, is that it or am I missing something? This picture was brought to you by my bro's EK

Old 05-31-2006, 09:43 PM

something else weird happened. My turn signal does not click back like it used to before I installed the steering wheel. Does this happen to everyone.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

supposed to.. because you remove the mechanism for it.. however my car was stupid..

my blinkers didnt work (didnt turn off) with stock but with aftermarket wheel and release they did... now i put the stock one back on and it doesnt work puzzles me
Old 06-01-2006, 12:29 AM

Now I have another problem. The hub is stuck on there good. I need a steering wheel extractor. expletive
Old 06-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hub is stuck? screw on your wheel and pull it off.

well yea after the nrg hub you lose the auto blinker turn off thing after your turns.. aint no biggy, just gota get used to turning it off after a turn
Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 AM

Trust me dood I tried everything I even banged it with a hammer. Im ******* serious too . I was so pissed but then I told my self. Steering wheel puller. You ******* idiot. Fuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkk I wanted to do this now. Not tommorow. expletive !!!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol so did you get it off? and get the horn working now?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=273474

This might be of some help
Old 06-01-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel! (dnt94civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dnt94civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=273474

This might be of some help
</TD></TR></TABLE>

no one bothers to read post anymore huh? Thanks for trying to help .
Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for sure I am going to help you out tomorrow....
Old 06-01-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Re: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel! (lcjarrett)

thanks bro

Quick Reply: The Offical: How do I make my horn work on my EK/EM1's with a aftermarket wheel!