Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oem brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem brake upgrade

i have a 99 ex, and want to upgrade from my stock brakes. after doin some research, it seems like a type R brake upgrade will good. and aftermarket brakes will put a hole in my pocket. any opinions on wat kind of brakes i should look at??
Old 12-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oem brake upgrade (egb18c5)

Is it just your daily driver? Put on some Brembo blanks and good set of aftermarket pads and you'll be great.

$100 total cost.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: oem brake upgrade (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it just your daily driver? Put on some Brembo blanks and good set of aftermarket pads and you'll be great.

$100 total cost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree 100%, did mine and it feels 10x better than my stocks.

two new rotors-$60
some hawk pads-$45
better braking with out breaking my pocket's-priceless
Old 12-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oem brake upgrade (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it just your daily driver? Put on some Brembo blanks and good set of aftermarket pads and you'll be great.

$100 total cost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is what I will do when my pads/rotors wear out. Decently cheep and plenty good for the street from what I have seen.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: oem brake upgrade (Slow EJ8)

SS lines.... i never reailzed out much of a difference they really make until i found out first hand

Brembo blanks
Hawk pads
OEM pads also
SS lines
Old 12-01-2005, 12:22 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: oem brake upgrade (dohcdelsol)

If your going to run SS lines on a street car, make sure they have an extra coating on the outside to protect from dust. Dust works it's way between the braids & wears out the teflon line inside.

Neuspeed makes coated lines, but they are yellow I hear the coating is not that durable. Stop-Tech makes them with a clear coating, and you can purchase the fronts & rears separatly...

With the following:
Good pads
Good fluid
Good rotors
Good brake lines

You will most likely be able to stop shorter than those "big brake" kits. With the exception of Stop-Tech, all of those kits upset your brake balance & increase your stopping distances...
Old 12-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oem brake upgrade (94eg!)

if its your dd get something that doesnt hurt your pocket. but if your rich get that 5 lug
Old 12-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your going to run SS lines on a street car, make sure they have an extra coating on the outside to protect from dust. Dust works it's way between the braids & wears out the teflon line inside.

Neuspeed makes coated lines, but they are yellow I hear the coating is not that durable. Stop-Tech makes them with a clear coating, and you can purchase the fronts & rears separatly...

With the following:
Good pads
Good fluid
Good rotors
Good brake lines

You will most likely be able to stop shorter than those "big brake" kits. With the exception of Stop-Tech, all of those kits upset your brake balance & increase your stopping distances... </TD></TR></TABLE> Dont mean to sound like a noob or anything but but, what does upset your brake balance mean..
Old 12-01-2005, 12:56 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oem brake upgrade (94civicCx)

PM me if youd like me to explain technically WHY they upset your brake balance.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oem brake upgrade (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PM me if youd like me to explain technically WHY they upset your brake balance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you mind explaining to me too maybe? I know sorta what brake balance is but have no clue how changing it effects how the car behaves. Perhaps time for another good brake thread?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't waste your time/money on SS lines unless you just want the bling. I reccomend some Auto Zone rotors, Cobalt GT Sport or Axxis Ultimate pads and Valvoline DOT 3/4 brake fluid.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:39 PM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: oem brake upgrade (Jowee 1162)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jowee 1162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't waste your time/money on SS lines unless you just want the bling. I reccomend some Auto Zone rotors, Cobalt GT Sport or Axxis Ultimate pads and Valvoline DOT 3/4 brake fluid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please explain how SS brake lines are "Bling"?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94civicCx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Dont mean to sound like a noob or anything but but, what does upset your brake balance mean..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, it's actually called "Brake Bias". If you are really interested in the answer to your question, read this whole article (it's REALLY informative):

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_i...shtml
Old 12-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Please explain how SS brake lines are "Bling"?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
They're not needed and you won't be able to notice any significant braking power from it on a street car.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:53 PM
#1 Super Guy

SS lines don't create braking "power". They create pedal firmness which in turn creates predictability and ease of modulation. I certainly noticed a difference after I added them. The pedal feels rock hard, and it builds pressure almost instantly (94cx w/ rear discs, stock master cylinder & stock brake booster)...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SS lines don't create braking "power". They create pedal firmness which in turn creates predictability and ease of modulation. I certainly noticed a difference after I added them. The pedal feels rock hard, and it builds pressure almost instantly (94cx w/ rear discs, stock master cylinder & stock brake booster)...</TD></TR></TABLE>
And what exactly is accomplished with better "feeling" whenever you're just going to school, work and home? I have a set of SS lines on my R which I really could really care less for. I don't recommend and will not put them on any daily driver which is exposed to dirt and rocks which could chafe/brake a line. Do a search and read up on how dangerous SS lines on a daily driven car could be.

Better yet, here you go:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1199349
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Pe...s.htm

Plenty more threads, but you get the point.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry, it's actually called "Brake Bias". If you are really interested in the answer to your question, read this whole article (it's REALLY informative):

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_i...shtml</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very nice link. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2005, 06:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jowee 1162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
They're not needed and you won't be able to notice any significant braking power from it on a street car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes you will notice a difference in the brake pedal. Stock rubber brake lines get hot and expand with pedal pressure. SS brake lines dont give under heat or pedal pressure. What that means in idiot terms is when you push the pedal all the force you are applying to the MC is being transfered to the calipers without expansion loss.
Do a good set of pads and rotors and if you want a little better pedal response then do the ss lines.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jowee 1162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And what exactly is accomplished with better "feeling" whenever you're just going to school, work and home? I have a set of SS lines on my R which I really could really care less for. I don't recommend and will not put them on any daily driver which is exposed to dirt and rocks which could chafe/brake a line. Do a search and read up on how dangerous SS lines on a daily driven car could be.

Better yet, here you go:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1199349
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Pe...s.htm

Plenty more threads, but you get the point.</TD></TR></TABLE> O my. any truth to this matter..
Old 12-01-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: oem brake upgrade (BigBlockH22atch)

intgera rears and uprgrade MC, proportioning valve, and booster. Import auto salvage sells em' for around 240 shipped!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oem brake upgrade (hellb0y)

Big brakes on a budget, or Type R brakes without the 5th lug.

Front.
http://www.gs-r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5477

Rear.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1090780
Old 12-01-2005, 10:51 PM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: oem brake upgrade (Gump)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jowee 1162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...I don't recommend and will not put them on any daily driver which is exposed to dirt and rocks which could chafe/brake a line...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your going to run SS lines on a street car, make sure they have an extra coating on the outside to protect from dust. Dust works it's way between the braids & wears out the teflon line inside.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oem brake upgrade (BigBlockH22atch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigBlockH22atch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes you will notice a difference in the brake pedal. Stock rubber brake lines get hot and expand with pedal pressure. SS brake lines dont give under heat or pedal pressure. What that means in idiot terms is when you push the pedal all the force you are applying to the MC is being transfered to the calipers without expansion loss.
Do a good set of pads and rotors and if you want a little better pedal response then do the ss lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>
How much do your stock lines expand to notice that much of a difference? I had GSR front and rear brakes, master cylinder/BB, an old school Integra PP, OEM pads and off the shelf Valvoline dot 3/4 on my EG with my OEM ITR RUBBER brake lines which stopped better than my ITR(Cobalt GT Sports, Goodridge lines, Motul fluid, Brembo rotors) any God given day with the same "pedal feel" under extreme conditions.

Just my honest opinion that $100 on lines could be better used elsewhere. Your money, your car.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:10 AM

How much do your stock lines expand to notice that much of a difference? I had GSR front and rear brakes, master cylinder/BB, an old school Integra PP, OEM pads and off the shelf Valvoline dot 3/4 on my EG with my OEM ITR RUBBER brake lines which stopped better than my ITR(Cobalt GT Sports, Goodridge lines, Motul fluid, Brembo rotors) any God given day with the same "pedal feel" under extreme conditions.

Just my honest opinion that $100 on lines could be better used elsewhere. Your money, your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had stock rubber lines on my ITR suspension on my civic. I changed the lines to SS and noticed a difference in pedal response during extreme driving.