Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Odometer rollback on a 95 EG cluster

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer rollback on a 95 EG cluster

I got a cluster from a 95 EG with 385k on it, my 94 EG only has 241k on it and I want my new odometer to reflect that mileage. I can't drop my original speedo in because it's fried. I've read all the threads on how to do it on Integra clusters and EK clusters, but the EG odometer seems to be different from all of them. There are no little gears on this one. I can't even figure how to get the whole odometer out. Can someone shed some light on this for me?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your orginal speedo is fried, how do you know you have only 241k?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Vero)

http://www.courtlukens.com/Tec...r.htm
best writeup on it ever! The only response you'll get here is grab a sheet of paper and subtract
Old 07-15-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: (BrokeAssPinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your orginal speedo is fried, how do you know you have only 241k?</TD></TR></TABLE>

First off, this is all in kilometers.

It just stopped working yesterday afternoon, dead. Luckily, there are 3 very good junkyards that open at 8am when I'm done nightshift, so I went to one right after work and grabbed a 95 Si cluster for $50 CAD so I can have a tach now too.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.courtlukens.com/Tec...r.htm
best writeup on it ever! The only response you'll get here is grab a sheet of paper and subtract </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a good write-up, but they basically tell you to do the same thing, write down the mileage and do the math. This method works good for rolling the mileage forward, but only the ones and tens will go back, when it gets to 385,200km it won't go back any further. The 100's have a lock.

I put my dremel on the gear for a while and it worked great to roll it from 355,000km to 374,000km in a couple of minutes, but I didn't like how fast it was going... I was afraid something was going to break. I'm not going to sit there for six hours rolling it all the way forward and around... there has to be an easier way. I've seen posts (in my search) where people have done it before, but nobody gets specific because they think everyone who wants to change the odometer is going to try and sell it for more. We're not ALL crooks...
Old 07-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats fried on your old cluster? If the mileage section (center ) isnt fried as you say. Just take it out and swap it. Its very easy. I just did one on my daily driver (dx) and put a ex cluster in but wanted my original miles also so i took it out and put it in the other. and walaaaa there it is. If yours is completely fried, which i dont know how you could do that, then i dunno what to say, hope that helps

Old 07-15-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: (eg64u)

The speedometer doesn't work anymore, that's how it's fried... fried being a technical term of course.

If I were to pull the odometer out of it's base, it would break the clips that hold it down, then wouldn't go back in. Is there a better way to do it other than pull straight up on it and break it? I couldn't slide the metal pin that goes between all the number wheels either. I'd like to just swap the odometer's... that would save me time if it were possible.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can get the pin off without breaking it. it just takes some skill and patience.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wrote up the original article about it, and I'll admit it's not the best thing in the world (especially if you have a lot of miles/km to go through), but it gets people on the right track.

Tell you what, I've got two old clusters at home. I'll dick around with one of them and try to figure out a better solution, when I have the time. I'll be honest, I was just impatient when I installed my new cluster and I wanted to find the quickest solution to my problem. But the quickest method isn't always the best method.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:54 AM

All you have to do is put little slits in the clips that hold the odo drum in and then pop it out. Make the slits just big enought to where it still holds in the drum and you have to "pop" it out. then do the same for the new ones. I did this on my 95 ex that had a bad cluster.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: (Milano_EH3)

take it to honda and they will set it for you
Old 07-27-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: (96CivicBoostCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96CivicBoostCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take it to honda and they will set it for you</TD></TR></TABLE>

They charge... I want to do it myself.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: (_Cyclone_)

lol
its all good, but with that much of a mile discrepancy why don't you just get a cheaper gauge cluster from a dx or cx with lower miles.
The time for me to do just 20k miles on mine took hours with a drill
Old 07-27-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: (MugenHonda)

I put on about 10,000 kilometers in about 3 minutes with the dremel, but it was going really fast... I was worried. Hey, that's right... that odometer stopped working for whatever reason about a week after I put it back in the car.

I'm not going to be able to find a speedometer with less mileage easily, but that's a good idea.