Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Odd suspension/wheel hop issue... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd suspension/wheel hop issue... HELP!!!

hey guys, i have a 92 hatch with a 5 lug swap. When i go over bumps with the left (pasenger side) wheel at speed, it will shake and shutter. it also happens when i turn sharply to the right and get on the gas. i was thinking a bad wheel bearing, but theres no grinding or grease. All the ball joints seem ok, so i'm stumped. WTF could it be and how do i fix it?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Odd suspension/wheel hop issue... HELP!!! (boosh)

This a right hand drive car? Cuz the left side is the drivers. Could be a blown shock.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd suspension/wheel hop issue... HELP!!! (r3vmixman)

I'm thinking from the front of the car. i dont think its the shock... they're stock shocks and springs, and they arent TOO worn out....
Old 06-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Odd suspension/wheel hop issue... HELP!!! (boosh)

Sounds like possibly a control arm loose or worn out, not the ball joint itself; where the control arm connects to the chassis. Any visible set back of the wheel { more distance on onside of the tire in relation to the wheel well} A hub bearing need not grind or howl to be bad, its just usually you get those symptoms. Do you have any suspension modifications? Another possibilty easily over looked, any who has a front strut tower brace; check the strut top bolts...I've done it half *** {in a hurry} and it gives you the same bump/shake because the strut is loose.

What about camber or unusual tire wear?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd suspension/wheel hop issue... HELP!!! (TreeNinja78)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TreeNinja78 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like possibly a control arm loose or worn out, not the ball joint itself; where the control arm connects to the chassis. Any visible set back of the wheel { more distance on onside of the tire in relation to the wheel well} A hub bearing need not grind or howl to be bad, its just usually you get those symptoms. Do you have any suspension modifications? Another possibilty easily over looked, any who has a front strut tower brace; check the strut top bolts...I've done it half *** {in a hurry} and it gives you the same bump/shake because the strut is loose.

What about camber or unusual tire wear? </TD></TR></TABLE>

look over the rubber bushings at the chassie pickup points on with exsesive play can cause the symptum you are having
Old 06-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what i'm thinking... maybe some energy suspension bushings are in my future. Its just riding on stock type R shocks and sprigs. no strut bars, no sway bars, nothing special.

thanks for the help guys... i'll check it out tomorrow and get back to you.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosh)

it could still be the wheel bearing. best way to check that is try movin the wheel in and out while the car is sitting on the ground. grab the top of the wheel and pull out on it. if that moves, then you got a bad one.