Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

odd clutch hydraulics problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd clutch hydraulics problem

I've never heard of this happening, and a few ASE certified friends scratched their heads at this one too...

when i first get in the car in the morning, the clutch disengages with the pedal almost at the floor, but when i pump it a few times, it holds pressure for the entirety of the drive. it also does this when i leave work at the end of the day (but not nearly as badly). also, when i'm on a long trip (a few hours on the highway), it will do the same thing by the time i get off the highway. the most extreme case i've experienced is making spirited passes down a long curvy road, where i hold it in gear at high rpm through the corners, and also at the drag strip when i'm pre-loading the clutch at the 2-step, etc. so with that in mind, i'm think it is affected by heat (i'm in FL, so it's hot as **** just sitting in a parking lot).

most obvious guess would be that it needs to be bled...but i've flushed out all the old nasty fluid and bled the system, and any time i open it back up, no air comes out, and the level in the reservoir never changes.

car is a '95 dx with an h22 swap. when the swap went in the car almost a year ago, i bought a new slave (for a prelude), master (civic), and i had a new clutch hose made (steel-lined rubber...not braided stainless).

it did this a little bit while it was still hot (before winter), but didn't do it at all during winter. and, after wrapping a shop rag around the clutch hose (since it was pretty much sitting on the starter), it helped a little.

i'm leaning towards shitty advance auto parts slave or master...most likely slave, because my brake light in the dash isn't on and no fluid is leaking into the floorboard.

anyone have any insight?

Last edited by 88rexA6; 06-24-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: odd clutch hydraulics problem

get a new SC and MC and stealth clutch line from www.chasebaysonline.com if you still have that problem call taps
Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
get a new SC and MC and stealth clutch line from www.chasebaysonline.com if you still have that problem call taps
the slave cylinder is less than a year old, and the master cylinder might be 4 months old. one of them may be the problem, but it wouldn't make sense to me to replace new stuff, because i could end up back at square one with money down the hole.

what/who is taps?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a clutch acting crazy in my del sol. I called my guy who knows everything about every car on the road( hill billy mechanic ) He said it sounded like SC and MC problems... It would engage randomly I seriously would not move the petal and the car would start to go...very freaky..VERY. And it would engage at random points in the petal.. so I was like ok makes PERFECT sense I put new ones in ... DIDN"T CHANGE A THING. I spring broke in my clutch.... I waisted some money.. ... I don't know what YOU should but based on my little ordeal it COULD be your clutch.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

someone suggested the pressure plate fingers may be worn and weak (even though the clutch and pressure plate are 8k miles old), but then i reminded him that the pedal acts like it should after i pump it a few times. now he's also thinking it's in the hydraulics.

i'm thinking about trying a braided stainless line to see if that helps, but i don't see why a brand new steel-lined rubber line would expand so much with a stock clutch. i hate parts-throwing
Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is a bleeding problem.
I deal with clutches on all different makes/models and some of them have this characteristic. have you tried removing the system and bench bleeding the whole deal? Sometimes there is air caught in little high-spots in the line, and they need to be bled off the vehicle.
This is what i do:
Remove clutch master, slave and lines and bench bleed the entire setup, moving the lines around and tapping along the lines to free up air bubbles.
It's a bit tricky to get everything back in without opening the system, but it is worth it in the end.
Also, what grade of brake fluid you using???
Any possibility of it being too close to something that might be causing it to boil (therefore creating air bubbles)?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
New User

i have started to have similar problems with my 97 acrua cl 2.2...it was driving just fine and then about a month ago the clutch just went right to the floor...i changed out both the slave and master cylinder and bled the line very well and it worked for about a week or so and then boom right to the floor again...i have bled the line again and still nothing...just wondering if i could get a good pointer to what i might need to check next before i jumop right into the pressure plate or anything like that...