Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Occassionally, when I start the car, it dies instantly than has troubles to start...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Occassionally, when I start the car, it dies instantly than has troubles to start...

What should I be looking at?

I start the car, it dies. I try to start again, it struggles but if I give it throttle and hold it, it will stay on. Once I let go of throttle, the car dies. I try again, it will start with throttle and when I held it at 2K for 30 seconds, the car idled like **** for 5 seconds (motor rocking) at around 600 rpm and then went back up a few hundred and idled fine.

Could it be clogged fuel filter?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Occassionally, when I start the car, it dies instantly than has troubles to start... (Azxster)

fuel filters don't really clog much on hondas like people think they do. they're designed to last the life of the vehicle.

you're not gettin any CEL?

try things like checking the fuel pressure, check your plugs, clean out your TB with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush, do the same with your IACV.

i'll tell you though, my gut feeling is that it's something with your ECU/sensors/wiring.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Occassionally, when I start the car, it dies instantly than has troubles to start... (hondamark3

you should check the main relay

EDIT: sorry, the car starts and doesnt hold a idle, right? your timing might be off. troubleshoot before you start replacing parts.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Occassionally, when I start the car, it dies instantly than has troubles to start... (hondamark3

I did buy the ECU from some guy (chipped/socketed P28) for my B16A2. It currently has a GSR chip but I don't think that matters much right? I was having issues with timing/bogging/idling using the P28 and the conversion harness it came with but when I took it to a tuner, after trial/error, he determined the jumper harness was giving me issues.

So I got a new jumper harness, ran fine for a few weeks, then it gave me issues two weeks (one day). Today it gave me issues but I knew how to counter it so I managed to drive off fine.

When using the P28, I notice on cold start, it would start off at 2K (even when semi-warm) and bounce softly from 1.5-2K. This never happened on my stock P2P. Could the ECU be faulty or the chip I am using? Or maybe I do need to clean my IACV/TB but then it does not happen on a P2P.

Edit: Yes that is correct... on two days (few occasions on those two days), when I start, it would not hold idle. When it does happen, I give it throttle, there is a huge delay. I would have to hold the throttle for 30 seconds and then it idles/drives/pulls fine.

Can the timing be still be off if it drives normally most of the time? I had the timing adjusted but then the timing belt was replaced and I am getting this loose rattle/ticking at 2.75K+ RPM. It does not happen often enough for me to take it to a mechanic for them to diagnose it.

I believe the main relay is fine since it clicks when the CEL goes off. How do I listen for fuel prime? Is it like a slight humming?

I am getting 28MPG of mixed city/hwy, lots of VTEC, when I'm on the highway, I cruise at around 80MPH.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check to see if you are getting fuel fine, hear if your main relay (click) and fuel pump prime. also check to see if you are getting good spark, your ignitor could be going out. good luck
Old 10-21-2007, 08:03 PM

I had the exact same problem, i had to hold the throttle for about 1min sometimes to 5 min in order for it to idle on its own and than i could let go and it wouldnt cut out. I replaced the iacv and havent had a problem since. Hope this helps
Old 10-22-2007, 05:54 AM

Thanks! I'll clean it first along with TB before replacing it since I do have slight fluctuating idle.