Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBX sucks, heres my experience. (56k get cable and view this)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Electrician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OBX is another APC. I really don't know why people skimp out and get this shitty brand. By the time you get it to fit properly, all the money you invested in fabrication, you could've easily bought a nice name brand QUALITY part.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: (SJcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SJcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WOW, how was the hack with the ARC or MIG welder. Oh boy, use a TIG!!!

Rich</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think you can ARC weld thin *** pipe like that. It would burn through.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: (Dimi)

Not to start a war here, but have you ever used an OBX header? Just installed one on the car about a month ago. I've dealt with headers on V8's for about 13 years now/ hooker, edilbrock, hedman, flowtech, etc. Of course it's not a turbo header, totally different pressures and heat ranges, but the weld were clean and solid. To me a turbo header is a different world compared to a standard header. Probably would not run a OBX on a turbo, but you really can't judge all of OBX of one header.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (ablack934doorcivic)

that sux sorry about your luck man
Old 08-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (pynikal)

its too bad you got one of the bad manifolds.. they guy i bought my ls engine from ran one of those manifolds for about a year with no problems.. wasn't braced a bit for his t3to4e... he just ran it like he bolted it up.. I guess somewhere down the line they started going really cheap, because the one he has is old and worked perfectly...

The models made just after he purchased his started the whole OBX sucks trend..

Old 08-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (Jeterkm02)

I only know 1 guy with an OBX turbo manifold and he's having problems with cracking.

Makes ya wonder how much R&D these big 'generic' companies do..
Old 08-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no bump for OBX
Old 08-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (EM1 MIKE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EM1 MIKE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> http://www.full-race.com </TD></TR></TABLE>

**** that over-priced bullshit. i just saw a supra manifold for like $2500!!!! with that money i could take a class on TIG welding, and buy a welding machine and still have enough money left over to buy stock to make a manifold like that. **** that **** lol
Old 08-17-2004, 02:16 PM
F*CK THIEVES!

Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (ablack934doorcivic)

lol..obx! fuken cheap *** ****
Old 08-17-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Re: (Dimi)

yeah it looks loke crap now
Old 08-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (1fastassvx)

There is a million posts in the forced injection forum about this manifold. They are "teh suck".

liam
Old 08-17-2004, 04:47 PM

Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (thebense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thebense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

**** that over-priced bullshit. i just saw a supra manifold for like $2500!!!! with that money i could take a class on TIG welding, and buy a welding machine and still have enough money left over to buy stock to make a manifold like that. **** that **** lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

as stated before, you get what you pay for. you could buy some equipment and possibly fab your own....you can't buy experience though.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (Full-Race Javier)

ya you have no idea what it takes to make a tubular manifold. 500-1000$ is a very fair price if you had any kind of welding or fabbing experience. not only does the welding take skill, but the cutting of the pipes at the right angles and length is a pain and a half. so much so i opted to pay for a logstyle rather than deal with the cutting. welding i was ok with.. even if i had a bandsaw, i still would not attempt a tubular until i was good with thin ss tubing. and a lot of cursing i'd imagine.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (XDEep)

is that after you used that peice of crap? when u first got it, i bet it looked so fresh fresh right?!?!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (Full-Race Javier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Javier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

as stated before, you get what you pay for. you could buy some equipment and possibly fab your own....you can't buy experience though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also full-race designs all their manifolds with CAD/CFD using very expensive software. They prolly have one of the best welded in the world tig each manifold by hand, if you dont believe look at the "great welding thread" in the forced injection forum and look at the quality of their work. Half the guys that work there are mechanical engineers with tons of experience.

You pay for the quality, the design, the development, and the work that goes into them. If you think you [thebense] can go take a welding class and build manifolds as good and performs as well a full-race manifold for cheaper, why dont you go do it?

liam
Old 08-17-2004, 07:22 PM
* B A N N E D *

Looks like bad metal.

Who welded that, Ray Charles?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (Redline96LX)

You guys sure that OBX? To me, looks like some custom.. Since OBX doesnt come with multi peice runners.. More like one long pre bent runner... INstead of lots! Blah.. To me that looks custom..
Old 08-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (synik)

not to be an *** but to u have any pictures of your setup installed? i mean did u brace the manifold at all. and was your downpipe connected to your block at all to releieve the pressure off the manifold?

yes the material is cheap grade and very thin but if u weld on braces like a brace from the manifold bolt to the turbo down to the front of your engine that will take weight off the manifold, and keep it from vibrating and moving. also connecting your downpipe in the stock location your header does (right behind the engine next to the cv boot) also relieves pressure and keep the turbo system from flexing and vibrating. and u can;t just assume the cheap thin metal they use to brace will hold up. i mean damn u can flex it with your fingers. cut it off and weld some good thick metal on to it. these are cheap and easy ways to prevent what happend to your manifold. also do u have an EGT gauge, and did u tune on a dyno? if not your EGT temps could have been extremly hot, and if your turbo system was not braced correctly then yes **** will get very weak and brake. its stainless steel it flex's when it gets hot, especialy cheap low grade stainless!

sorry but these hate threads sometimes drive me nuts. your paying under 200 shipped for an item and expect it to bolt right on and not need any modifiactions?? damn we are cheap bastards.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (bmcc72)

lol, all those welds on that manifold make it look like a manifold covered in bird poo
Old 08-18-2004, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (bmcc72)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmcc72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry but these hate threads sometimes drive me nuts. your paying under 200 shipped for an item and expect it to bolt right on and not need any modifiactions?? damn we are cheap bastards. </TD></TR></TABLE>

@ 200 shipped it wouldn't even be worth modifying.... You can't polish **** no matter how hard you try.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:43 AM

ouch*
Old 08-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ouch!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Full race turbo manifold! get one
Old 08-18-2004, 09:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (robbieshonda)

... show some pic's of your setup. 1. i agree.. that is not an obx... 2.. wtf did you do to that manifold. Looks like a 13 year old welded it in his moms kitchen.

I call bullshit
Old 08-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who welded that, Ray Charles?</TD></TR></TABLE>

its craptacular

Quick Reply: OBX sucks, heres my experience. (56k get cable and view this)