Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBX LSD limited slip differential...first hand experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OBX LSD limited slip differential...first hand experience

Ok, so after seeing countless threads of, "Is this good", "Too good to be true", "Who has this", etc etc, I decided to bite the bullet, er, gamble some cash and go for it. First off, It took me a month after paying for it through Tuning Depot off of ebay. They lost my order, then said they'd sent it, but didn't, etc. It got to be a huge hassle. But anyways..... Here's what I found wrong with the unit straight out of the package:

1. Speedo gear doesn't fit. The inside diameter is too small to fit onto the housing as it should. No big deal, just needed to remove about 2-3mm of meteriel to fit. Problems solved.

2. As people said, double check the allen head bolts on the case. This I did. I just used my 85 ft lbs 3/8's impact and got about 1/2 a turn out of each. Didn't feel I needed loc-tite or anything, just wanted to seat them a little better.

3. And this is the biggest.... The ring gear bolts are too close to the diff housing, rather, the housing is slightly too wide and they didn't think of this. What I'm saying is, when tightening the ring gear bolts, your 14mm thin wall socket actually gets squeezed into the housing, causing it too come off of the head. What I ended up doing was use my 3/8's impact, get a couple turns, then hammer the socket down fully, then a few more, etc etc. You'll see what I'm saying when/if you do it. I didn't take pictures...sorry

Other than that, all else was cool. The unit looks almost identical to a Quaiffe unit I put in a friend's D series tranny. Remember, it's made for the big bearing trannies... EX/Si.

Alright, so the diff is in the case and all is cool. How does it feel???.....DOPE! THis thing actually responds quite well and I am VERY pleased. I haven't been able to race on it or auto-x on it, so I'm kind of limited to the "testing" I allow myself to do on the street. Response and feel feels extremely close, if not the same as my buddies Quaiffe....I wish we didn't have unequal drive shafts- thats next. We actually got our cars going the same day, and shared cars. Lets just say the car feels much more responsive, pulls through corners under throttle much more stable, and doesn't "feel" like an aftermarket diff is in there...it just feels good, if that makes sense.

My setup is a D16Z6, PM6 pistons, 2 layer HG, Si tranny, SRR 4.9 final drive, 6.5 lbs flywheel(installed with lsd), and ACT clutch. I must say, the car is night and day with the tranny mods. I love driving the car. The 4.9 runs through the gears quicker and keeps me in power band, the flywheel helped out supringly well, and the lsd, well, everyone should know how these help.

Oh, I've had my SRR final drive in for almost a year, putting LOTS of miles on it and plenty of racing. I haven't cracked my tranny apart since then, and the ring gear and pinion both looked brand new still! This is in regards to the thread where people spoke of SRR gears breaking apart, etc.

So, with about 200 miles on the diff so far, I say it's worth it. If you're still skeptical, drive my car , or just wait a few weeks while I put some track miles and autocrosses on it and see how she's holding up!

Old 03-27-2005, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OBX LSD limited slip differential...first hand experience (Evs-One)

Um, yeah...And so? What's the point of this thread?

I miss you Evan, I still love you...Ahhhh!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, let everyone know the results after a few weeks of use.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: OBX LSD limited slip differential...first hand experience (Mr. ThunderLips)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. ThunderLips &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Um, yeah...And so? What's the point of this thread?

I miss you Evan, I still love you...Ahhhh!</TD></TR></TABLE>

cliffs:

it does its job, it's cheap, but you need slight modification for it to work
Old 03-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info, but i'd still suggest people to wait for your review on how does in certain amounts of daily and auto/rr/drag miles.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:41 PM

Good first hand experience Whats the break in period for the lsd...if any? Make sure to post some updates after you beat it on the track
Old 03-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX LSD limited slip differential...first hand experience (94_HATCH)

Interesting...I figured the OBX LSD would be crap. *subscribes* I'd like to see an update with some miles on it.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

obx..... wouldnt trust them with something so important.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: (p28jspeceg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p28jspeceg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">obx..... wouldnt trust them with something so important.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They seem to be getting better. Plus their intake manifolds are awesome to make ITB's from.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (p28jspeceg6)

OBX is the name, not the manufacturer. SOme guy is running 10;s, daily driven on the LSD for over a year and 500 whp, and has been fine
Old 03-31-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OBX is the name, not the manufacturer. SOme guy is running 10;s, daily driven on the LSD for over a year and 500 whp, and has been fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

Evan, you know damn well on this site if it's not Spoon or JDM it can't possibly be a good piece...Why even doubt it?
Old 03-31-2005, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much is cheap? lol wats this thing retail for anyways?
Old 03-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: OBX LSD limited slip differential...first hand experience (tphan4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tphan4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much is cheap? lol wats this thing retail for anyways?</TD></TR></TABLE>

got it for 395 shipped.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (Mr. ThunderLips)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. ThunderLips &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Evan, you know damn well on this site if it's not Spoon or JDM it can't possibly be a good piece...Why even doubt it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

kinda like how Rota Group Ns are stronger than RNR's

kids are stupid
Old 04-01-2005, 03:33 AM

certain things people tend to be trend followers- obx was like spoon low budget in the begining and are just now getting room to get better- so. explains better quality product- my obx exhaust & header wasnt to bad tho i now went with rsr . good to hear companies improving- another brand people talk about alot on both sides is ss some good some bad ! even in the most major of manufacturers especially in suspension the biggest brands have the biggest faults ! but then you have ebay coilovers for ricing !
Old 04-06-2005, 11:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

kinda like how Rota Group Ns are stronger than RNR's

kids are stupid</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll keep that in mind when building up a 13 year old car and spend $20k in Japanese parts just so I can take oscurely angled photos and sell it to some kid for $35k...
Old 04-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup man im getting a obx lsd for my whip too, good thread

I already knew it was good but glad someone can reaffirm

*edit*: for those of u who still doubt, do some searching and youll see a 500whp car on the board using the obx for drag, still holding up great
Old 04-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how long does the install take?
iwant to get one too
Old 04-06-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

is this obx lsd better than oem lsd?
Old 04-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b204dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b204dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">certain things people tend to be trend followers- obx was like spoon low budget in the begining and are just now getting room to get better- so. explains better quality product- my obx exhaust & header wasnt to bad tho i now went with rsr . good to hear companies improving- another brand people talk about alot on both sides is ss some good some bad ! even in the most major of manufacturers especially in suspension the biggest brands have the biggest faults ! but then you have ebay coilovers for ricing ! </TD></TR></TABLE>

to prove a point check this out
http://www.scion.com/showroom/tc/accessories/

check out the shift ***** and pedals
OBX is an Official producer for Scion aftermarket
Old 04-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ReD . EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReD . EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is this obx lsd better than oem lsd?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, i oem lsd can only take around 300whp, i have seen ppl run the obx with 500+
Old 04-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. ThunderLips &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'll keep that in mind when building up a 13 year old car and spend $20k in Japanese parts just so I can take oscurely angled photos and sell it to some kid for $35k...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Damn thats cold.LOL
Old 04-06-2005, 04:13 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (japspec)

*subscribed*.

i wanna see the outcome after a few autocross events. so far i haven't heard any thing bad about the obx lsd.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. ThunderLips &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll keep that in mind when building up a 13 year old car and spend $20k in Japanese parts just so I can take oscurely angled photos and sell it to some kid for $35k...</TD></TR></TABLE> lol i cant stand the photo trend that is going around...
Old 04-06-2005, 05:23 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OBX is the name, not the manufacturer. SOme guy is running 10;s, daily driven on the LSD for over a year and 500 whp, and has been fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are talking about David Sparling, he will be running 9's on his OBX diff very soon.

Quick Reply: OBX LSD limited slip differential...first hand experience