Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBDWiz spark advance

Old 06-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDWiz spark advance

So I recently purchased a scan tool with OBDWiz. I just put my head back on and decided to add a PID to report spark advance on #1 after I set the timing. It's reporting 16deg even though the light reports dead on the middle marker. To get it to report 12 I have to back the dizzy all the way to the stop. Am I off a tooth, or is it just a symptom of how the computer is reporting advance?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: OBDWiz spark advance

What steps did you take to advance/retard timing?
Old 06-21-2014, 05:04 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the timing was set accurately then it's a scan tool issue and not whatever car it is your talking about. Contact the manufacturer of the scan tool.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
What steps did you take to advance/retard timing?
1. warmup
2. Jump the service port
3. Hookup the light to #1
4. Check the timing
5. Shutdown, turn the dizzy
6. Restart and check again
7. Lather, rinse, repeat
Old 06-21-2014, 05:20 PM
The Grumpiest

Then call the scan tool manufacturer. Were' not here to troubleshoot your scan tool.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Then call the scan tool manufacturer. Were' not here to troubleshoot your scan tool.
Didn't ask you to troubleshoot the scan tool. I asked if the computer will report information about spark advance that's accurate. I'm sorry you didn't understand the question and I'm flattered that you want to participate in my discussion, but if you don't know the answer, feel free to STFU.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:50 AM
The Grumpiest

HOW THE (*^%! is someone supposed to know if the ECU is reporting whatever it is you defined as accurate to your non-Honda scan tool? Do you not understand what it is you're asking? There's no way to know that. Does your stupid tool need to be calibrated? Are there tests you can run on your stupid tool to see if it's receiving signal correctly or whatever technical crap that makes it read signal?

THIS IS NOT A HONDA ISSUE!! it's not even a Honda question. If you set timing correctly then the car is operating s it should and if your stupid tool reports a discrepancy then it a problem with the stupid tool! Not whether or not the ECU is reporting to it accurately!!!!

And why are you asking if you might be off a tooth if you timed it correctly? Maybe you might want to double and triple check that is correct before you go asking about stupid scan tools with pretty lights on them. Time it correctly WITHOUT THE STUPID SCAN TOOL and then worry about the other **** afterwards. THAT'S the question you should have been asking. "Did I time my engine correctly? Because my scan tool says I might not have."
Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
[B]...or whatever technical crap that makes it read signal?
Here's our problem, you really don't understand how a standard OBD2 scanner works. It parses a stream of codes and values at a given rate. The computer simply dumps what it knows into the stream, the scanner picks it up, parses it, and displays it to the user.

Who is responsible for spark advance; the dizzy or the computer? Both? To my knowledge, there is no Distributor Angle Sensor, so the computer can't know how far I turned it. All it can do it make a mathematical guess based on both the engine speed and the Crank Position in relation to when the cylinder fires. If this is the case, my tool isn't accurate, neither is yours, his, hers, or theirs. It's not a scan tool issue, it's just how the car works.

This is all assumption on my part, which is why I posted the question here on honda-tech, a forum purporting to be for technical questions relating to Hondas. In response, I was told to call the scan tool manufacture, who doesn't manufacture Honda specific scanners.

For that matter, why do *you* post Honda questions here? Why not call the phucking manufacture(Honda) with your questions and quit bothering everyone else with them?

LOL, there's at least one of you on every forum.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:17 AM
The Grumpiest

Don't care about your scanner. Did you or did you not time the engine correctly? You cannot seem to be able to answer that simple question. If you didn't time it correctly how is the stupid tool supposed to read it correctly? Then the question would be WHY can't you time it correctly? The scan tool doesn't enter into it until you verify correct time. Not using teh stupid tool to time it.

And I guess we're talking about a Mini-Cooper because you never supplied car info. Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules before you gripe that it isn't relevant to the question.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by user1qaz2wsx
I'm flattered that you want to participate in my discussion, but if you don't know the answer, feel free to STFU.
Originally Posted by user1qaz2wsx
Why not call the phucking manufacture(Honda) with your questions and quit bothering everyone else with them?

LOL, there's at least one of you on every forum.
Your personal attacks set a bad tone for your thread and derailed it. /thread

You also failed to follow forum rules by not posting car/engine information. Please read the forum Rules sticky at the top of the forum.