Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBDIIA DLC problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDIIA DLC problem

i have a 97 EK w/ a 99 b16a2, running a p72 obd2 ecu. i've done searches upon searches and i don't see anyone with the same problem as me.

The problem: when plugging a OBDII scanner into the DLC the scanner reads "FAIL".
I also brought my car to smog, and they were unable to read from the DLC as well. Now my question is...why? or How come? it is unable to read? what could be the problem?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:35 AM

bump
Old 03-08-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: (WONG FRIED RICE)

anyone? please? lol i can't pass smog without fixing this problem!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:53 PM

help?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:03 PM

Default Re: (WONG FRIED RICE)

so nobody??
Old 03-09-2006, 01:23 PM

I would suggest you first check the haress to the ecu and to the DLC. next make sure all 16 pins on the DLC is connected. sometimes one of the pin can be disconnected. You should get battery power from Pin 16 on the DLC connector.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: (BUNNYz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BUNNYz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would suggest you first check the haress to the ecu and to the DLC. next make sure all 16 pins on the DLC is connected. sometimes one of the pin can be disconnected. You should get battery power from Pin 16 on the DLC connector.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually there are only 5 pins on the connector. I've verified that this is normal, because on my friends 99 Si he has the same exact number of pins, and his reads with the scanner. I think the ECU might be the culprit. but i'm still unsure of what else could be the problem, or what i can do to fix it. *scratches head*
Old 05-21-2022, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBDIIA DLC problem

Originally Posted by WONG FRIED RICE
i have a 97 EK w/ a 99 b16a2, running a p72 obd2 ecu. i've done searches upon searches and i don't see anyone with the same problem as me.

The problem: when plugging a OBDII scanner into the DLC the scanner reads "FAIL".
I also brought my car to smog, and they were unable to read from the DLC as well. Now my question is...why? or How come? it is unable to read? what could be the problem?
Unplug everything that the pcm talks to. Except the pcm. If it still won't talk to the pcm than your obd2 port is bad or your pcm is bad. You can get the manual online from eBay on DVD to walk you through it. I recommend buying thinkdiag2 obd scanner... Sometimes the pins in the obd2 get enlarged from trouble shooting and make a bad connection. Sometimes the k-line becomes compromised and need to be re-wired. Most likely a component went out, for say your abs module is bad and has lost the can-bus... If everything is unplugged, it will assume the car is not equipped with it and bypass it. Unplug everything it talks to and it should talk to the pcm. If not, substitute a known good pcm and write the knew vin and keys and it should communicate, of not the dlc (obd2) port is lacking connection or has a open somewhere in the k-line. Troubleshooting can be accomplished with the said manual available on eBay.
the 8thgen hybrid men45mpg yo