Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBD2a Del Sol ; OBD1 B16A3

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OBD2a Del Sol ; OBD1 B16A3

Ok, I'm having a little trouble with this one. I'm putting an OBD1 B16A3 into my 1997 del Sol S (D16Y7). The del Sol is like an Integra, in terms of wiring. Even the OBD2 Sol's have a two-part harness, so it unplugs from the shock tower (unlike OBD2 Civics, which have the lead going straight from the engine to the ECU via the firewall). I don't particularly want to just throw my swap in and then be all like "oh, this doesn't work, I guess I'll add ____ wire to ______."

My research and questions have gotten various answers, but I'm not sure which I should believe or discredit. All these are related to VTEC SOLENOID, VTEC PRESSURE SWITCH, and KNOCK. The OBD2a shock tower plugs are backwards compatible with the OBD1 plugs, all wires being the same (supposedly). This leaves one left-over plug (which usually has to do with secondary O2, etc).

1. I have been told that all 93-97 del Sol's are prewired for VTEC. This seems right, except for a couple things.

My A-Plug on my firewall is identical to this, all wires the same color except the solenoid wire is missing entirely, and the VTP wire is yellow/black instead of orange/blue. I have not traced this yet, but it SHOULD go to C-15 on the ECU if it is indeed VTP. I know on Integras and Civics for OBD2a, it should be a blue/black wire.

2. I have been told 96-97 del Sol's are all prewired for KNOCK. I do not know what pin on which plug this is supposed to go to, other than it is supposedly a red/blue wire and go to D6 on OBD2a. Again, need to really check my pin to be sure, but there are several red/blue wires and I would like to know which to run it to.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OBD2a Del Sol ; OBD1 B16A3

1. I would consider you trying to find a OBD2 GSR harness for the the knock sensor and all that good stuff is already wired for you even the vtec wires are there. you just gotta run the wires from (A) cabin firewall plug harness(leads to the ecu) to the ecu which is much easier.

2. Are you going to run a OBD2A or OBD1 B16 ecu(SUPER HARD TO FIND and expensive)? I rather your run a chip p28 OBD1 because it will eliminate knock sensor or buy rywire's OBD2A to OBD2B harness($150) and run the 99 SI ecu. either way your going to need a piggy back.

3. Better yet sell that b16 and get a 98 or up GSR motor with harness and ecu. it will save you the headache from converting everything on that OBD1 motor to OBD2 unless you already have the parts from it.

4. Remember...you will need a B16 shiftlinkage from a Vtec(B16) del sol which is VERY HARD TO FIND ALSO! unless your willin to go the dealer and buy one for $250! The GSR and 99 SI shiftlinkage will not work unless your willing to cut and weld it shorter..
Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by alpha_1
1. I would consider you trying to find a OBD2 GSR harness for the the knock sensor and all that good stuff is already wired for you even the vtec wires are there. you just gotta run the wires from (A) cabin firewall plug harness(leads to the ecu) to the ecu which is much easier.
The cabin-side harness is ONE piece. Everything from the firewall, forward is one harness, excluding the disconnect for the engine bay. So, using a GSR harness would not work, and it would require removing every single bit of wiring from the entire front half of the car. Next.

2. Are you going to run a OBD2A or OBD1 B16 ecu(SUPER HARD TO FIND and expensive)? I rather your run a chip p28 OBD1 because it will eliminate knock sensor or buy rywire's OBD2A to OBD2B harness($150) and run the 99 SI ecu. either way your going to need a piggy back.!
Already have a P30 and a conversion harness. Next.

3. Better yet sell that b16 and get a 98 or up GSR motor with harness and ecu. it will save you the headache from converting everything on that OBD1 motor to OBD2 unless you already have the parts from it.
No. Next.

4. Remember...you will need a B16 shiftlinkage from a Vtec(B16) del sol which is VERY HARD TO FIND ALSO! unless your willin to go the dealer and buy one for $250!
Already have it. Next.

You seem to be missing the point. I have EVERYTHING for my swap in my possession, or on a truck/plane coming to my house. I am stuck on these THREE wires. I don't need to replace or buy anything new.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eran
The cabin-side harness is ONE piece. Everything from the firewall, forward is one harness, excluding the disconnect for the engine bay. So, using a GSR harness would not work, and it would require removing every single bit of wiring from the entire front half of the car. Next.

Already have a P30 and a conversion harness. Next.

No. Next.

Already have it. Next.

You seem to be missing the point. I have EVERYTHING for my swap in my possession, or on a truck/plane coming to my house. I am stuck on these THREE wires. I don't need to replace or buy anything new.
what? i thought the GSR was a 2 piece harness even the OBD2 GSR harness is a 2 piece harness...anyways well i know the OBD2 has a crank pully sensor that is 3 wires and the OBD1 doesn't have them...did you check that?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the civics will have a 3 wire crank sensor comparied to the 2 wire on the OBD2 integra GSRs. also i don't think knock sensors came with the OBD1 b16 but only the gsr if i am correct. if so then you shouldn't be worried about the knock sensor if your running a obd1 p30.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:44 PM
HT White Ops

what? i thought the GSR was a 2 piece harness even the OBD2 GSR harness is a 2 piece harness...anyways well i know the OBD2 has a crank pully sensor that is 3 wires and the OBD1 doesn't have them...did you check that?
You're talking nonsense, and bringing things in to play that have NOTHING to do with the questions I have asked.

I am running an OBD1 B16 with an OBD1 P30 ECU and OBD1 del Sol VTEC wire harness -- all in an OBD2 car.. The harnesses are plug and play, possibly with the exception of three wires. And yes, a USDM P30 does look for a knock sensor.

Quit talking about crank sensors, GSR swaps, or anything else that has no bearing on the topic. If you have nothing useful to add, please stop.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 AM
HT White Ops

Bump.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok lets see here...

So you have a Delsol "S" model correct?
The D16Y7 engine code you mentioned makes me think you have an "S" model, thats why i ask.

I'm not super keen on the OBD2 Delsol models, they're a bit funky when it comes to the engine/ecu/wiring. I believe the 96-97 'sols are basically setup like an OBD2 integra (ie. 2-piece engine harness and has either a D16Y7/Y8/B16A2 engines depending on model). A long time ago I thought OBD2 delsols were setup like an EK civic - 1 piece engine wire harness - but that is not the case.

Anywho, first thing is that not every Honda model will have the same wire color(s), but whats most important is the pin location. Wire color may change, but pin location will not. So, see what your wire color is at A8 (VTS), C15 (VTM/VTPS), and D6 (knock). Trace these out to your shock tower plug (IF you have all of these pre-embedded from the factory). SO I would do this first and then move forward.

Can you tell me if your IACV uses a 3 or 2-wire plug?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
HT White Ops

Ok, I traced VTS, and it isn't there. I'll just yank that out of the spare cabin harness I have and loom it into the stock harness. I still need to trace C15 and D6. I think those ARE there, I just have to double check.

My IACV, I have no idea. Since I have the Y7, it's on the underside the manifold. I'd have to remove the airbox, injectors, and fuel rails to get to it -- if not the entire intake manifold.

There's kind of a 50/50 chance that it is a 2-wire, since it seems that the manual del Sol's have 2-wire, and the A/T have 3-wire. I'm going off a wiring guide that only lists the S as an A/T ... so not much help there.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eran did you end up solving this issue, I am in the exact same position as you, i have an obd1 b16 and been searching for two weeks to answer my question, the 96-97 del sol is very hard to find info on as far as wiring. i have a 97 del sol S as well with the same wire colour as you my solenoid wire is missing at the A plug and my pressure switch wire is black and yellow. did you end up getting the car running, did you have to do the 3 wire IACV fix or no?
Old 04-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by geminSiR
eran did you end up solving this issue, I am in the exact same position as you, i have an obd1 b16 and been searching for two weeks to answer my question, the 96-97 del sol is very hard to find info on as far as wiring. i have a 97 del sol S as well with the same wire colour as you my solenoid wire is missing at the A plug and my pressure switch wire is black and yellow. did you end up getting the car running, did you have to do the 3 wire IACV fix or no?

fwiw, 96-99 (OBD2a) integra should share the same engine harness as the 96-97 DOHC delsol, and possibly with the SOHC engine as well.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eran
Ok, I'm having a little trouble with this one. I'm putting an OBD1 B16A3 into my 1997 del Sol S (D16Y7). The del Sol is like an Integra, in terms of wiring. Even the OBD2 Sol's have a two-part harness, so it unplugs from the shock tower (unlike OBD2 Civics, which have the lead going straight from the engine to the ECU via the firewall). I don't particularly want to just throw my swap in and then be all like "oh, this doesn't work, I guess I'll add ____ wire to ______."

My research and questions have gotten various answers, but I'm not sure which I should believe or discredit. All these are related to VTEC SOLENOID, VTEC PRESSURE SWITCH, and KNOCK. The OBD2a shock tower plugs are backwards compatible with the OBD1 plugs, all wires being the same (supposedly). This leaves one left-over plug (which usually has to do with secondary O2, etc).

1. I have been told that all 93-97 del Sol's are prewired for VTEC. This seems right, except for a couple things.

My A-Plug on my firewall is identical to this, all wires the same color except the solenoid wire is missing entirely, and the VTP wire is yellow/black instead of orange/blue. I have not traced this yet, but it SHOULD go to C-15 on the ECU if it is indeed VTP. I know on Integras and Civics for OBD2a, it should be a blue/black wire.

2. I have been told 96-97 del Sol's are all prewired for KNOCK. I do not know what pin on which plug this is supposed to go to, other than it is supposedly a red/blue wire and go to D6 on OBD2a. Again, need to really check my pin to be sure, but there are several red/blue wires and I would like to know which to run it to.

Any help is appreciated.

I know this is a super old post but for anyone who is doing this swap(b16a3 obd1) into a obd2 96/97 del sol. This swap is very straight forward. Drop the swap in and plug the shock engine harness into the shock town plugs on both driver and passenger side. On the passenger side there will be one 2 wire plug that won’t be used. After engine is installed, get an ecu jumper that will allow you to plug the obd1 computer for that b16a3 into the car. And there you have it. Mine started up first try and seemed to be running fine. Will update when I drive the car more. I used the b16a3 and engine harness out of a 94 del sol vtec.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Unknown24
I know this is a super old post but for anyone who is doing this swap(b16a3 obd1) into a obd2 96/97 del sol. This swap is very straight forward. Drop the swap in and plug the shock engine harness into the shock town plugs on both driver and passenger side. On the passenger side there will be one 2 wire plug that won’t be used. After engine is installed, get an ecu jumper that will allow you to plug the obd1 computer for that b16a3 into the car. And there you have it. Mine started up first try and seemed to be running fine. Will update when I drive the car more. I used the b16a3 and engine harness out of a 94 del sol vtec.
Good explanation... the "two wire plug" that won't be used is actually the CKF (Crankshaft Fluctuation Sensor) which is the OBD-2 only additional sensor on the '96+ B16A3/2 engine when compared to an OBD-1 B16A or B16A3.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-18-2023, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Good explanation... the "two wire plug" that won't be used is actually the CKF (Crankshaft Fluctuation Sensor) which is the OBD-2 only additional sensor on the '96+ B16A3/2 engine when compared to an OBD-1 B16A or B16A3.

car is running but haven’t gotten to test drive it. Waiting on some Honda mtf at the moment. Hopefully once I get the fluid in I won’t have any running issues under load.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Unknown24
I would like to clarify some thing on this. This swap is straightforward if the 96/97 del sol was a si with the d16y8 or other engine with vtec, so it is already wired into the shock tower plugs. If you have a non si 96/97 del sol you will have to add the vtec wiring from the obd2-obd1 jumper to the Vtec solenoid. I haven’t done that job and don’t have good info on that but I’m sure someone does. Hope this helps others like me doing this swap.