Old 10-20-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd2 to obd1 conversion problems

First off...
00 civic 2 dr ex d16y8
JRSC
I/H/E
Jackson FMU

I am in the proccess of getting the Hondata s300 system for the above car. Yesterday I recieved my p28 virgin ecu in the mail. I wanted to make sure it worked properly so I did as follows... warmed the car up to get it nice and warm, shut it off, removed the battery, wait 5 min, swap ecu's, hook battery up, start car and idle for 20 min. ECU reset and ready to go, right? NOPE.

The problem is when the engine is cold, I start it up, and it won't idle properly until it is warm. The RPM's go up and down, but once it's warm it runs "good". I don't know about "great" because I don't want to open her up until I KNOW the ecu is good.

Any help would be apreiciated.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd2 to obd1 conversion problems (JICEK9)

if it had idle problems before you switched it could be your IACV valve
Old 10-20-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's just the name of the game. You're running an OBDII car on an OBDI ECU.

Until you can use control software to adjust the IACV slider, it's going to do that. It's probably idling way too high and bouncing up and down about 500 RPMs, right? It's normal, your ECU is fine.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: obd2 to obd1 conversion problems (EnzoSpeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's just the name of the game. You're running an OBDII car on an OBDI ECU.

Until you can use control software to adjust the IACV slider, it's going to do that. It's probably idling way too high and bouncing up and down about 500 RPMs, right? It's normal, your ECU is fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is what I figured. thanks for the help. funny nobody else knew that
Old 10-21-2005, 02:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that is what I figured. thanks for the help. funny nobody else knew that </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I only know because I've also run my y8 on a stock P28 ECU.

Here's something else you'll probably encounter - when you're doing city driving and the car is fully warmed up, it will usually idle around 800 RPMs when you pull up to a stoplight. But every now and then, you'll pull up to a stoplight and the idle will start going nuts again - bouncing up and down.

Just tap the gas pedal a few times and it will usually calm down and fall back to a steady idle.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well I only know because I've also run my y8 on a stock P28 ECU.

Here's something else you'll probably encounter - when you're doing city driving and the car is fully warmed up, it will usually idle around 800 RPMs when you pull up to a stoplight. But every now and then, you'll pull up to a stoplight and the idle will start going nuts again - bouncing up and down.

Just tap the gas pedal a few times and it will usually calm down and fall back to a steady idle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you soooo much. with ALL the people on this site, it's funny you were the only on that has ran into this problem. but that just means for you. thanks again.

one more question though. will hondata s300 be able to fix any of this, or will it always run this way while obd1?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:22 PM

you know, i had the same problem with the idling when i switched over. what i did was returned the ecu and got one from Kenji. when i received that ecu i never had a problem...i think if i had the air/fuel tuned with the old ecu i think it would've been fine but i just returned it and got one from kenji.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
one more question though. will hondata s300 be able to fix any of this, or will it always run this way while obd1?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hondata will definitely fix it. I know that Uberdata can fix it.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that the idle control valve gets a stronger signal from the P28 so it opens and closes more than it's supposed to. All I do in Uberdata is set the idle valve to minimum sensitivity and the problem goes away.

You shouldn't worry. Just make sure you get a competent Hondata tuner.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You shouldn't worry. Just make sure you get a competent Hondata tuner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for sure thanks for clearing that up