Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

obd2 motor into obd1 car, obd2 harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd2 motor into obd1 car, obd2 harness

what all is needed? i got the motor in and bolted up, theres 4 plugs on the engine harness and 3 plugs on the chassis harness, theres one plug not plugged in. it's a 3 wire plug, what is it? and do i need to run a manual wire for the knock sensor as well? idk... i have searched for 2 hours and seen milions of threads but nothing that answers my specific questions. i took the pins out of another engine harness and put the pins and wires into the blank spots on the engine harness, there were 2 wires and i have them ran inside the car, i went to plug the ecu in and realised it was obd2... that's where i'm stuck. so what all do i have to wire up, and what is that 3 wire plug?? the other 3 plugs plugged in fine.

i already know i need a obd1 gsr ecu or chipped p28. but besides that is where i'm stuck

those 3 plugs plugged in fine and there were only 2 blank spots on the chassis harness i was assuming that was the v-tec.. do i still need to manually wire up a knock sensor?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd2 motor into obd1 car, obd2 harness

Old 11-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just checked it, it starts with the wrong ecu
Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

28 views and nobody knows/?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Whats the Harness from? IIRC correctly GS-Rs have an extra plug at the shock tower due to the IABs (what I also seem to recall is that Honda ran the evap purge wiring through the small extra plug and ran the IAB wiring in one of the 2 large plugs. I'd check for continuity from that plug to the IAB connector, purge solenoid connector, CKF connector and the knock sensor connector. It should be for one or more of those.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

engine harness is a 96 integra gsr, the body harness is a 95 dx coupe. i need a few answers, first what is that 3 wire plug and how in the world do i wire it up.. or do i need it? if it is iab's i'm assuming i need it.

next, wiring up the knock sensor manually, if i get a chipped p28 can they just disable the knock sensor? third is where the pins go in the ecu for v-tec. but that is the least of my worries at the moment, i think i have a diagram for the ecu-vtec.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by x_doug-x
engine harness is a 96 integra gsr, the body harness is a 95 dx coupe. i need a few answers, first what is that 3 wire plug and how in the world do i wire it up.. or do i need it? if it is iab's i'm assuming i need it.
Again, you'll have to check for continuity from the pins on that plug to the other 4 connectors I mentioned earlier, it should be at least one of them, possibly a combination of a couple of them. Just as a heads up the IABs on OBD1 GS-Rs work the opposite of OBD2 GS-Rs (OBD1 uses switched 12v power, OBD2 uses switched ground)

next, wiring up the knock sensor manually, if i get a chipped p28 can they just disable the knock sensor?
A P28 wont look for a knock sensor period. A P30 or P72 will, but it can be disabled if its chipped.

third is where the pins go in the ecu for v-tec. but that is the least of my worries at the moment, i think i have a diagram for the ecu-vtec.
Those are the 2 wires in the middle pick. Green with yellow stripe on the engine side goes to the vtec solenoid, blue goes to the vtec pressure switch. Easy way to wire up the other side is just fine an '92 civic and pull the 2 wires that go from the ECU to shock tower plug (all '92 civics are wired from the ECU to the shock tower plug) Below is the ECU pinout.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wanna bump this thread for some more answers. i have a lot of people telling me a obd2 motor/harness won't plug into a obd1 car. but i did it, and my car runs good. now i need to know if there are later obd2 engine harnesses that will not fit a obd1 car. i'm setting up a b20 for a spare motor for my car....

also need to know which i'm pretty sure of, is if a obd2 b18 non v-tec intake manifold will fit a b20.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A lot of people dont know the knowledge between 5th gen and 6th gen civics. In the 6th generation civic's (96-00), the harnesses are a single piece therefore it will not work with the integra's 2 piece harness. In the 5th generation civic (92-95) the harness is a 2 piece design just like the integra's. A 94-01 integra engine harness will plug into the 92-95 civic chassis harness. All the wiring is pretty much the same minus the 92 civic chassis harness that has vtec spool valve and vtec oil pressure wires wired in regardless of sub-model. 93-95 non-ex civics do not have these wires in their chassis harness which need to be wired in directly to the ecu.

Three pin plug you are talking about has the wires for the crank flutration sensor and the positive wire to the EVAP sensor. You will need to figure out which wire is the EVAP sensor wire and move the wire to its same location on the original engine harness shock tower plug. I did this recently but I did not make notes of the changes. The other 2 wires in the three pin plug is for the crank flutration sensor which doesnt apply to obd1 therefore does not need to be connected.

Any ls intake manifold from 90-01 will fit because the head design was the same. What would be ideal is the 96-01 ls intake manifold because of the evap sensor. I have a 97 ls intake manifold laying around if you want to buy it. Pm me for details and pictures.

I hope this is not too much information for you to digest. I did not how to shorten it but either way. This will provide you with better understand on what works and what does not work.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i have a question cause i feel like i got my hands full. i've been doing some research for a few days now and still just dont know, maybe its cause of what i got and what i was told. Anyways, got a 95 civic dx coupe with a 97 GSR, skunk2 pro intake manifold, he says its also got ITR cams. it has a P28 ecu, its got a chip in the lower right i believe the power rom that has a spoon sticker so im guessing its chipped. it doesnt have the vtec i dont think? when i picked it up, it didnt have the 02 sensor hooked up he said if i got it hooked i would be good, that and vtec). so i believe i have a obd1 engine harness, i looked at a civic in my body shop class and seen where the o2 sensor was, came home and extended it to the o2 sensor right before the cat. that didnt fix it. i dont know if my alternator is switched to OBD1 or not same with injectors. it does look like they did something at the alternator though? so i guess my question is should i just get a obd2 wiring harness or figure out this one?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

An obd2 wiring harness will not work, use the one in the car. maybe post some pics and space out your sentences, it is hard to understand your question.

And next time just start a new thread, do not bump an old one.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

An OBD2 harness will work if its from a 96-01 Integra although you'll have to manually wire in the VTEC, knock and IAB's to the ECU.