Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBD2 auto trans into obd1 95 civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 auto trans into obd1 95 civic

I have a 95 civic dx automatic that has a bad transmission and i want to swap it out with a 99 civic ex auto trans will this work? i have read that people say to keep them within the same year and model i know the trans will bolt up but i see limited information on automatics only manual any knowledge would be great

Last edited by daohgeeonethree; 08-18-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: OBD2 auto trans into obd1 95 civic

only if you also swap the motor and ecu that goes with the 99 ex civic auto trans.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
only if you also swap the motor and ecu that goes with the 99 ex civic auto trans.
why the entire engine? could i just get a jumper and use 99 ecu?
Old 08-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Hysterically Calm

Only if you want the wrong ECU running your engine to it's death. OBD2 isn't tune-able either so it's not like you could have it tuned to your motor.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found the answer in this thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ranny-2425268/

Originally Posted by 94EG8
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by batallic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all 92-00 transmissions are transferable</TD></TR></TABLE>

Allow me to clarify that.
*All* '92 - '00 D-series manual transmissions are interchangeable
*All* '92 - '95 D-series automatic transmissions are interchangeable
*All* '96 - '00 D-series automatic transmissions are interchangeable, except the HX CVT and JDM D15B 3 stage Vtec CVT/Multimatic transmissions.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:44 AM
Hysterically Calm

Right, and you want to do a 96-00 (non CVT) in a 92-95 without using the 96-00 motor.

This means using the 96-00 ECU as the 92-95 ECU Transmission Control Unit (TCU) will not talk with the 96-00 transmission.

This means you will be running a non flash capable, non tunable ECU with a whole different set of fuel maps and timing maps on your 92-95 motor.

It will run, but likely to it's death prematurely from being too rich, and/or too lean and firing at the inopportune times etc.

And better yet, if you are talking the vtec motors, the D16Z6 and the D16Y8 have a 4 degree timing difference that is really hard to get past. (16* to 12*).

Manual transmissions on the other hand can swap all through the 5th and 6th generation without issue up until the 1 b-series transmission in the 96-00 generation (6th).
Old 08-19-2016, 11:12 AM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your 95 Civic have a kickdown cable?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:16 AM
GDD Member

This means you will be running a non flash capable, non tunable ECU with a whole different set of fuel maps and timing maps on your 92-95 motor.

It will run, but likely to it's death prematurely from being too rich, and/or too lean and firing at the inopportune times etc.

And better yet, if you are talking the vtec motors, the D16Z6 and the D16Y8 have a 4 degree timing difference that is really hard to get past. (16* to 12*).

Manual transmissions on the other hand can swap all through the 5th and 6th generation without issue up until the 1 b-series transmission in the 96-00 generation (6th).

Not sure if trolling.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:33 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by slomofo
Not sure if trolling.
Could be, but for future prospects that find this thread, figured the post would be good for them.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:51 PM
GDD Member

Dude, you just said an OBD1 motor will likely die by running an OBD2 ECU. How is that (mis)information good for anyone?
Old 08-19-2016, 03:03 PM
Hysterically Calm

Dude, you just said an OBD1 motor will likely die by running an OBD2 ECU. How is that (mis)information good for anyone?
How is running the incorrect maps and timing going to keep the longevity of the motor?
Old 08-20-2016, 03:32 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The short answer is no. Those OBD1 Civic transmissions are just about free at this point anyway, no one seems to want them, I think I finally threw the last one I had out because I couldn't even give it away.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:51 AM
GDD Member

How is running the incorrect maps and timing going to keep the longevity of the motor?

Maybe you should edit the FAQs to remove the how to on putting an OBD1 motor into an OBD2 car, then go back and tell all the people who have putting OBD1 motors in OBD2 cars for the past 15 or so years and say that their engines are about to die. We need to get the word out, we should totally sticky this message so that people know. I don't want to see a bunch of dead Hondas on the roadways more than you do. I ride a motorcycle, so a Honda grenading itself on the freeway could be life threatening if they were driving in front of me.

You and I Tommy boy, we're going to save the world! I'm willing to bet there's at least a few hundred OBD1 engines running around with OBD2 ECUs and probably 10x the amount of OBD2 engines running OBD1 ECUs. If we can spread the word that people are driving ticking time bombs, we could probably save the entire human race from extinction.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Hysterically Calm

Maybe you should edit the FAQs to remove the how to on putting an OBD1 motor into an OBD2 car, then go back and tell all the people who have putting OBD1 motors in OBD2 cars for the past 15 or so years and say that their engines are about to die. We need to get the word out, we should totally sticky this message so that people know. I don't want to see a bunch of dead Hondas on the roadways more than you do. I ride a motorcycle, so a Honda grenading itself on the freeway could be life threatening if they were driving in front of me.

You and I Tommy boy, we're going to save the world! I'm willing to bet there's at least a few hundred OBD1 engines running around with OBD2 ECUs and probably 10x the amount of OBD2 engines running OBD1 ECUs. If we can spread the word that people are driving ticking time bombs, we could probably save the entire human race from extinction.
You obviously didn't read the first post very well.

D16Y8 (6th gen EX) ECU and tranny running a D15B7 (5th gen DX). We're talking vtec 1.6 liter ecu with 12* degree timing that isn't programmable, trying to run a non vtec 1.5 liter motor that is 16* timing by default.

We are not talking the Y7 (non vtec) ecu and tranny running the B7 (non vtec) motor that are both 16*.

So, yes, lets let the OP hook it all up, get past the CKF sensor and just let her rip, and then when the thing detonates and burns a hole through the piston, or cause cylinder wash after a year, maybe 2 and only 100,000 kilometers, we'll blame the oil or some ****.

Go ahead and tell OP his particular setup is perfectly fine and was meant for longevity straight from the factory bro! Yo dude, that setup will go a million miles just like a stock Toyota!!!

Oh but don't forget to pull the CEL lamp so it doesn't bug you about no vtec solenoid and pressure switch.

Last edited by TomCat39; 08-20-2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo corrections
Old 08-20-2016, 01:42 PM
GDD Member

You obviously didn't read the first post very well.

D16Y8 (6th gen EX) ECU and tranny running a D15B7 (5th gen DX). Were talking vtec 1.6 liter ecu with 12* degree timing that isn't programmable, trying to run a non vtec 1.5 liter motor that is 16* timing by default.

We are not talking the Y7 (non vtec) ecu and tranny running the B7 (non vtec) motor that are both 16*.

So, yes, lets let the OP hook it all up, get past the CKF sensor and just let her rip, and then when the thing detonates and burns a whole through the piston, or cause cylinder wash after a year, maybe 2 and only 100,000 kilometers, we'll blame the oil or some ****.

Go ahead and tell OP his particular setup is perfectly fine and was meant for longevity straight from the factory bro! Yo dude, that setup will go a million miles just like a stock Toyota!!!

Oh but don't forget to pull the CEL lamp so it doesn't bug you about no vtec solenoid and pressure switch.

Yeah, that or maybe you could've answered the OP's question like you did, but instead of going off on a false information tirade, you could've gathered more info and answered it correctly.

If he has a kickdown cable on his stock transmission, there needs to be an OBD2 conversion, but if he doesn't, there may be a way to get his stock TCU to communicate with the transmission. It's not a surefire way, but. I won't get into that because I'm not sure if he has a kickdown cable or not.

So..... if he did go OBD2, he could go OBD2A even though the 99 EX transmission is OBD2B. The reasons for OBD2A is because a more advanced EVAP monitor exists in the OBD2B ECU. Bypass crank sensor at the ECU, bypass VTEC (yes, that's possible too), use an OBD2 fuel rail w/EVAP sensor, and run the car around OBD2 without VTEC. There's a secret trick to change the timing, I'll say it just this once, but we need to keep this **** under wraps because if Honda found out, they'd hunt our families down and end entire gene pools. So I'm being totally serious here, DO NOT SHARE THIS INFORMATION AT ALL. Alright, so timing can actually be altered by rotating the distributor. There's three 12mm bolts that hold the distributor on and timing is as simple as loosening those bolts, rotating the distributor, then tightening it back down. DO NOT TELL ANYONE I TOLD YOU ABOUT THIS. I don't want to die, do you? Okay then, let's keep this **** on the DL. Also worth noting, but 4 degrees of timing isn't going to kill an engine either; I know it seems crazy, but it's true, you're not going to melt a hole in a stock engine by having the timing off by a mere 4 degrees.

BTW..... You just fucked up my post count.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

brah, the obd1 ecu will not be able to run the obd2 transmission. It doesn't detect an additional sensor.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:24 PM
Hysterically Calm

Yeah, that or maybe you could've answered the OP's question like you did, but instead of going off on a false information tirade, you could've gathered more info and answered it correctly.

If he has a kickdown cable on his stock transmission, there needs to be an OBD2 conversion, but if he doesn't, there may be a way to get his stock TCU to communicate with the transmission. It's not a surefire way, but. I won't get into that because I'm not sure if he has a kickdown cable or not.

So..... if he did go OBD2, he could go OBD2A even though the 99 EX transmission is OBD2B. The reasons for OBD2A is because a more advanced EVAP monitor exists in the OBD2B ECU. Bypass crank sensor at the ECU, bypass VTEC (yes, that's possible too), use an OBD2 fuel rail w/EVAP sensor, and run the car around OBD2 without VTEC. There's a secret trick to change the timing, I'll say it just this once, but we need to keep this **** under wraps because if Honda found out, they'd hunt our families down and end entire gene pools. So I'm being totally serious here, DO NOT SHARE THIS INFORMATION AT ALL. Alright, so timing can actually be altered by rotating the distributor. There's three 12mm bolts that hold the distributor on and timing is as simple as loosening those bolts, rotating the distributor, then tightening it back down. DO NOT TELL ANYONE I TOLD YOU ABOUT THIS. I don't want to die, do you? Okay then, let's keep this **** on the DL. Also worth noting, but 4 degrees of timing isn't going to kill an engine either; I know it seems crazy, but it's true, you're not going to melt a hole in a stock engine by having the timing off by a mere 4 degrees.

The 5th gen automatic has the kick-down cable.

And your I have to kill you because I told you the distributor can change the timing won't have any effect on running the motor at 12 degrees when the cam shaft is made for 16 degrees? Yet everyone bitches and moans that their mini me is running like **** when it's half a tooth off.......

-----------------------------------------------------------

Okay OP, I stand corrected, it's totally doable. Please PM @slomofo all the questions on all the work arounds required to get the obd2 ECU running your OBD1 motor. I would suggest a seperate PM for each question so that it will be easier to keep track of each detail. He has the experience and knowledge to help you through the process.

Also refer to slomofo if the engine overheats from running with retarded ignition. He may be able to aid in a solution for that to.

Kind regards, and my apologies for providing you incorrect information. There is absolutely no issues to what you wish to do, just some work to do to get it operational.

Last edited by TomCat39; 08-21-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:40 AM
GDD Member

OP, it's not doable at all. @TomCat39 already explained that. Why you gotta be so difficult OP?

Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Hysterically Calm

You corrected me @slomofo, in a belittling and condescending manner, regardless, I've been corrected. It's doable, just requires work.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

OP, pm slomofo. He seems to have more details on how this works that he's not sharing.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 AM
GDD Member

@TomCat39 - You actually corrected me, in a mature and professional manner that embodies the characteristics of an HT Moderator. You're a God amongst men and should be praised for it. I don't understand why you can't just accept that. Why must you be so difficult?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Lovefest.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Hysterically Calm

Why must you be so difficult?
@slomofo, in this respect, I am but a mirror.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

@slomofo, in this respect, I am but a mirror.
You do understand that you're just being slomo trollled. He actually loves and respects all moderators. Once you understand that, he's a kitten with some tech knowledge, if you can sort lemon from lemonaide.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by RonJ
You do understand that you're just being slomo trollled. He actually loves and respects all moderators. Once you understand that, he's a kitten with some tech knowledge, if you can sort lemon from lemonaide.
I did realized I was being trolled.

The sorting lemons and lemonaid is where I am unsure and horribly non proficient. Am I corrected or was I correct.... I know not. Or even worse, is it a bit of both?

Quick Reply: OBD2 auto trans into obd1 95 civic